John Williams nominated for a Grammy for "The Book Thief"

indy4

The track, not the score

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-grammys-2015-nominees-winners-list-story.html#page=4

Instrumental Composition

"The Book Thief," John Williams (John Williams)
"Last Train To Sanity," Stanley Clarke (The Stanley Clarke Band)
"Life In The Bubble," Gordon Goodwin (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band)
"Recognition," Rufus Reid (Rufus Reid)
"Tarnation," Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer)

Look who he's tied with for third most nominations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_records#Most_Grammy_nominations

I spent some time counting his nominations last year, and I believe this would actually be his 64th nomination. Can anyone else confirm?

Look who he's tied with for third most nominations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_records#Most_Grammy_nominations

I spent some time counting his nominations last year, and I believe this would actually be his 64th nomination. Can anyone else confirm?

Don't you know? Arent you Hlao Roo?

Looks like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams#Grammy_Awards

Hey congrats to Maestro for the nomination! :)

:conf: Ennio Morricone wasn't nominated.

My Maestro is not your maestro. And now that this was revealed we are bitter enemies!

I guess it's true that every fart JW makes is automatically nominated for something!

Only in JWfan network. Only in freaking JWfan network.

btw it IS brilliant

Be the change Hornist! Be a proud JW fan! Exclaim your allegiance without shame!

John Williams is awesome!

And so is this score and the nominated piece in particular.

I guess it's true that every fart JW makes is automatically nominated for something!

Only in JWfan network. Only in freaking JWfan network.

btw it IS brilliant

I don't know you.

Don't let it end this way.

But you... I never forget a face.

If Johnny has a chance of getting one these babies then hell yeah I care!

I remember in early 1999, I think it was, when John Williams conducted a very brief selection from Star Wars: Episode IV at the Grammys. It might have been 1998, but I remember I considered the performance a final celebration of the original trilogy and its music before "The Phantom Menace" came out. 15 years later I feel differently. LOL. Anyways, I hope he wins. "The Snow Fight" is one of my favorite cues right now. It sounds very similar to "Snowy's Theme" in "The Adventures of Tintin."

• 1 month later...

The GRAMMYs @TheGRAMMYs

Congrats Best Instrumental Composition 'The Book Thief' - #JohnWilliams #GRAMMYs

4:02 PM - 8 Feb 2015

What a nice birthday present. :)

Congrats! Musically it's the best score of course.

Seems the Grammys have different criterias than the Oscars for winning (more objective based on the quality of the music itself)

Why is is already announced, aren't the Grammys live tonight?

THE BOOK THIEF? What kind of calendar does the Grammys use?

The 2015 Grammys are for albums released from October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2014

Yeah. I never quite get the Grammys. Surprised with their weird calendars, that they still maintain relevancy.

But a nice birthday present indeed!

I guess the idea is everyone's had at least 3 months to listen to all the nominees and let them sink in before voting

THE BOOK THIEF? What kind of calendar does the Grammys use?

The 2015 Grammys are for albums released from October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2014

Interesting...that's also the range of the 2014 Fiscal Year.

Oooh congrats to the Maestro Williams! A fitting birthday present indeed. :)

I bought The Book Thief because I thought Williams has revisited his 'Autumn' mode but somehow the music sounds like a weak carbon copy of similar past scores . It's nice but I don't seem to respond to it emotionally. Am I the only one?

Alex

I bought The Book Thief because I thought Williams has revisited his 'Autumn' mode but somehow the music sounds like a weak carbon copy of similar past scores . It's nice but I don't seem to respond to it emotionally. Am I the only one?

Alex

No I am sure most in JWFan will flock to your corner of indifference.

Yes, but they were hoping for a new soaring theme or a new majestic fanfare! You know, something they can shout along to during a Hollywood Bowl concert. I love Williams' intimate autumn leaves mode!

Yes, but they were hoping for a new soaring theme or a new majestic fanfare! You know, something they can shout along to during a Hollywood Bowl concert. I love Williams' intimate autumn leaves mode!

I actually felt really strong connection to The Book Thief right from the start. I remember hearing the preview clips and the piano theme for Death/Providence really felt like the autumnal JW I know and love. Undoubtedly it is the second cousin of Angela's Ashes but I still find it very moving.

The highlight of the Grammys was surely seeing Hans Zimmer rocking out with a guitar during Pharrel's zillionth performance of Happy (complete with new Zimmer-esque opening)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7aRqnkLbkab3Za5oDp

I actually felt really strong connection to The Book Thief right from the start. I remember hearing the preview clips and the piano theme for Death/Providence really felt like the autumnal JW I know and love. Undoubtedly it is the second cousin of Angela's Ashes but I still find it very moving.

I also like Book Thief more than Angela's Ashes

Didn't particularly care for THE BOOK THIEF myself (it's a far, far cry from ANGELA'S ASHES, which is one of my favourite scores by Williams ever!), but it's always nice to see him get prizes and recognition. I'm still confused as far as calendars are concerned, though. How can a 2013 film get nominations and awards in 2015?

Are you seriously still confused?

This isn't an award for films - it's an award for music albums.

The ceremony is happening in February 2015, so the voting would have to happen before then. You could make the eligibility period Jan 1 2014 to Dec 31 2014, but that doesn't give people much time to listen to stuff that comes out at the end of the year. So, the eligibility period is slid 3 months, so its stuff from Oct 1 2013 to Sep 30 2014. Makes complete and total sense to me.

The Grammys have been this way forever.

I just realized this morning when listening to the score once more, that something seems "broken" in the main theme, as if certain notes seems not to be right (of course they're right, but it's in a minor mode and they intentionaly draws our attention).

This theme is always present, it prowls... Well, It's in fact the Death Theme.

At the end of the CD, in the "Finale" it's reprised once more, but it now appears "corrected"... the theme is now tansformed in major-key.

Wow...

Death lurking... and a the end of a long and busy life, as a form of relief, she eventually wins.

What poetry, Chapeau! bowdown

Congratulations for the Grammy, it was deserved!

NOTE: Sorry if I wrote "she" to talk about death, it's because in French we say "La mort", it's a word in the feminine gender.