The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Thirteen Dwarrow!

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite dwarf from the Company?

• Thorin Oakenshield
    • Fili
    • Kili
    • Balin
    • Dwalin
    • Oin
    • Gloin
    • Dori
    • Nori
    • Ori
    • Bifur
    • Bofur
    • Bombur

Someone. Voted. For Kili. Incredible. (Not gonna repeat myself; see my commentary here.)

I figured Balin would be the hardest one to get right—both the character and the look. He may not be the leader of the group, but he's the most sympathetic of the gang, and the one we grow closest to (which is why we ought to mourn him properly when the Fellowship discovers his tomb in Moria). I doubted they'd get him right, but they did—"they" mostly being Ken Stott, who turns in the performance that hits the target.

It was a tie between Bofur and Kili and I went with Kili because I figured nobody else would go for him. Balin and Thorin would be the others high up on my list.

Ken Stott's is the 2nd best performance in BOTFA next to Freeman's.

Dwarrow is the plural Tolkien himself preferred for his dwarves.

He used "dwarves", believing it to be the correct English plural. I think it was only when he discussed his mistake (the correct English being "dwarfs") that he said he would have probably gone with "dwarrow" *if* he'd meant to invent his own plural.

Tolkien actually used the incorrect plural form "dwarves" more often than "dwarrows" as it appears only in the name Dwarrowdelf in his writings. Same goes for the incorrect plural of elf "elves" and "elven" instead of correct "elfin".

Gloin gets an honorable mention as does Oin.

When I first saw this I missed the "does," and read it as "Gloin gets an honorable mention as Oin"—as if the dwarves were all so much alike that they were playing each other's roles. "We now present . . . Dori as Nori in The Story of Ori." ;)

When I first saw this I missed the "does," and read it as "Gloin gets an honorable mention as Oin"—as if the dwarves were all so much alike that they were playing each other's roles. "We now present . . . Dori as Nori in The Story of Ori." ;)

Hey I was one of the biggest grumpy young men to oppose making the dwarves too conspicuously different each other! To the eyes of mortals all dwarves may look the same but they tell each other apart.

Hey I was one of the biggest grumpy young men to oppose making the dwarves too conspicuously different each other! To the eyes of mortals all dwarves may look the same but they tell each other apart.

Actually, that mirrors a line from LOTR itself, doesn't it? So if they really wanted to be faithful to the author, they'd make 'em all look alike and leave it to us to sort out the differences. . . .

Actually, that mirrors a line from LOTR itself, doesn't it? So if they really wanted to be faithful to the author, they'd make 'em all look alike and leave it to us to sort out the differences. . . .

Yes but it applies to the elves in the book and how they can't tell apart two mortals. ;)

Should have been called Dwarfsdelf!

And Rivendell should have been Elfsdelf.

Rivenelf?

Gawain-with-your-bad-self? (That was a really obscure Tolkien joke. . . .)

It truly is. Where did you dig up that old fossil?

Oh Balin! What folly it was that drove you to reclaim Moria? It was a brave, but foolhardy venture!

He wanted to be a dwarf lord once more! Not some lickspittle to Daín but his own dwarf!