Hollywood Reporter - 2014 Composer Roundtable

publicist

Marco Beltrami (The Homesman), Danny Elfman (Big Eyes), John Powell (How To Train Your Dragon 2), Trent Reznor (Gone Girl) and Hans Zimmer (Interstellar) discuss the process behind scoring the top films of the year.

I like the way Reznor thinks.

Me too.

I love Powell's no-nonsense attitude. Very refreshing from the "scripted" PR stuff coming out of Zimmer's mouth. I mean his score had a very interesting recording process, but sometimes, those cumbersome anecdotes just make me want to throw something at the screen.

Elfman helped lighten the mood, Reznor had some neat things to say about his mindset and views on the composition process, while Beltrami was pretty reserved in general.

Poor Powell doesn't seem like he enjoyed being there though.

I wouldn't call Zimmer scripted as though it's calculated or something. I know what it's like to have anecdotes that you're often asked about. You just develop a way of responding that doesn't change much.

Elfman has a cute sly way of saying 'BIG EYES is not much of a score'. Powell was the only composer present with an old-fashioned narrative adventure score - i kind of lost interest in the format when the interviewer acted as if that's somehow the same as Reznor cooking up spheres for GONE GIRL. When the regard for the actual music is this shallow and superficial they just could've called it 'THE ALSO ON THE SOUNDTRACK GUYS' and just collected some anecdotes via e-mail.

I wouldn't call Zimmer scripted as though it's calculated or something. I know what it's like to have anecdotes that you're often asked about. You just develop a way of responding that doesn't change much.

He annoyed me the last time he did this by entirely avoiding the 'what specific problem did you have?' question (which invited comments about The Lone Ranger), and banging on about what a privilege it was to do 12 Years and Rush. The whole point of these sessions is to discuss your working process, and all he wants to do is brag about the critical darlings he did.

Nice line-up this year, and a good session -- even though the THR reporter Kevin Cassidy always manages to screw up or ask idiotic questions. But at least he allows time for the composers to riff among themselves. To have Zimmer and Elfman interact in the same room is worth the ticket price alone for me.

Even when he was in Ubeda years ago Powell didn't seem to be particularly pleased about being amongst his peers and hundreds of adoring fans. It's just how he comes across, I guess.

A bit of a grumpy old toss pot. The Lee Donaldson of film composers.

Powell is a blast but his bluntness and his whole too hip to care thing got a bit old. I'd just like to hear him talk about shit directly.

Do they mention John or Jerry? I won't waste my time with this if they don't mention John or Jerry.

I don't waste my time with anything if they're not involved. I'll probably just kill myself in a few years.

I don't at all see Zimmer going through talking points in this interview.

If anything, I see someone who is tripping over his own words with excitement and passion about his work, trying to tell a dozen stories all at once. Albeit, the German accent mixed with the lisp grind on one's ears.

Then you have Beltrami, whose demeanor is about as engaging as his music this year.

Elfman is lovely as always. Love his mannerisms.

John Powell is perfect. He is sardonic, but he doesn't say much, so it's perfectly balanced.

Reznor is exactly like he is when you meet him, this strange mixture of humble/unsure confidence.

It's always fun to see these behind the scenes magicians in their animated characters. And always fun to see how different perspectives color how we pick up on their behavior, mannerisms, and words.

I don't at all see Zimmer going through talking points in this interview.

If anything, I see someone who is tripping over his own words with excitement and passion about his work, trying to tell a dozen stories all at once. Albeit, the German accent mixed with the lisp grind on one's ears.

I don't doubt the authenticity of his passion, but I find his answers just a little in-your-face, and his anecdotes tiresome. We understand he and Nolan are always trying something new, but so are his other peers in the roundtable. And while the others humbly express their frustrations in the process, you have Zimmer continuing to emphasize the sheer "novelty" of his work process, as if it bears greater merit than other approaches (I mean "consilidating relativity and space theories in his music"? come on...). And I know this isn't his intention, but it does make him come off as a bit arrogant.

I prefer a more down-to-Earth way about discussing what you've done this year.

Just rewatched the one from last year with Silvestri and Newman. I'd forgotten how exciting and fun that one was; especially when they get to actually asking each others stuff and geeking about the other guys work. Sadly there wasn't that much here, I get the feeling Powell had much more to say but wanted to get out of there as soon as possible; I mean, I feel there was a lot of chemistry between him and Hans but they toned it down for some reason.

If Williams was there, everybody would probably be too nervous; and I'm not sure how much Johnny would know about his colleagues work -but still, it would be great if next year they included him.

If Williams was there, everybody would probably be too nervous; and I'm not sure how much Johnny would know about his colleagues work -but still, it would be great if next year they included him.

I was under the impression that all Williams does is watch baseball and walk on a golf course, and that the only movies he sees are whatever Spielberg or Lucas (or both) come out with. So that could potentially be very awkward. They should do it!