Best Musical Movies

indy4

I saw Into the Woods yesterday, and it was great! Got me thinking about my favorite movie musicals...that can be either movies adapted from the stage, or original movie musicals.

I'd put my top fifteen as follows (in no order):

West Side Story

The Sound of Music

Sweeney Todd

Rent

On the Town

The Wizard of Oz

Into the Woods

The Phantom of the Opera

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Fiddler on the Roof

Pocahontas

Hairspray

Prince of Egypt

Mary Poppins

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

What are other good movie musicals?

You can't go wrong with AFI's 25 best list:

http://www.afi.com/100Years/musicals.aspx

I'm especially happy that the only animation that made it to the list, is my favourite animation of all time, and my 2nd favourite film of all time:

Beauty and the Beast

Is Into the Woods than 2012's Les Mis? Few films are as putrid and pretentious as that one.

Hmm, I forgot about that one. I don't think I'd put it in my personal top 15 but I quite enjoyed it.

Not a big fan of the genre, but I like these one :

The Sound of Music
Fiddler on the Roof
Victor Victoria
Funny Girl
Funny Lady
Mary Poppins

West Side Story is fantastic. As is Moulin Rouge! These are truly great musicals. Not much else comes to mind of that level, although I have yet to see The Sound of Music and Singin' in the Rain, which are supposed to be pretty good. I'll have to watch those at some point.

Oh, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is pretty good fun. Great guilty pleasure.

West Side Story

The Sound of Music

High Society

On the Town

The Wizard of Oz

Singin´ In The Rain

Robin And the Seven Hoods

An American In Paris

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

The Blues Brothers

Easter Parade

Top Hat

Gentleman Prefer Blondes

Funny Face

The King And I

and almost all of the Disney Films.

Is Into the Woods than 2012's Les Mis? Few films are as putrid and pretentious as that one.

I still haven't seen Into the Woods, but at least it is sure to have great music (the musical is terrific), unlike Les Mis

I still haven't seen Into the Woods, but at least it is sure to have great music (the musical is terrific), unlike Les Mis

WTF? Les Misérables has great music (and I'm talking about the actual music here, not the songs)!

Since when are the songs not actual music?

Into the Woods is miles ahead of the 2012 Les Mis. The adaptation really works, and all of the performers were excellent (though Depp doesn't really belong in musicals...). Even Chris Pine did an excellent job, the princes' number "Agony" got a lot of laughs from the audience and is performed very well.

I think the biggest problem with the performances in Les Mis is the fact that they were all live on set performances. This works great on stage with actors who can really sing and perform, but when you're taking film actors and putting them on the spot like that you're not really going to get a great performance. What they tried was neat in concept, but the performances would have been much greater had they been recorded in a studio and synced into the film like any other film musical.

The music in Les Mis really is great though, I performed a run of the show for a month and half and it never really got old to me or the other musicians. It's musically interesting enough that it doesn't really drag when you're performing it, I've always found it to be one of my favorites. And anyone who loves good symphonic film music should appreciate it too, especially the 2010 orchestration. Lots of great thematic work throughout.

All That Jazz

The Band Wagon

Easter Parade

Meet Me in St. Louis

Pinocchio

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Team America: World Police

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

West Side Story

The Wizard of Oz

And Powell/Pressburger's Tales of Hoffmann, technically opera but cinematically falls right in with that same musical showmanship. Also love "musicals about musicians" like the Beatles films, Once, and That Thing You Do!

I like them because I was introduced to them at a young age and often played their songs in school bands and community band. I have many in my collection and honestly enjoy them.

Or, musicals for children who otherwise don't enjoy musicals. Not that they're not well made, as Stone and Parker know their stuff. Fans of those two ought to seek out their earlier work Cannibal! the Musical.

Still haven't seen Into the Woods, which is my favorite contemporary stage musical. Still dreading it (though I have heard good things). Other favorites:

The Sound of Music

The Wizard of Oz

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Beauty and the Beast

The Prince of Egypt

I also really liked Frozen, though I've only seen it once.

Old-school Hollywood film musicals have never really interested me. Not even the celebrated classics. The exception is maybe stuff like Busby Berkeley's 42ND STREET, which can be enjoyed for its spectacular mise-en-scene and camera movements.

However, I'm a BIG fan of all the animated Disney musicals over the years. But I feel that that's a different thing altogether. I don't really consider them musicals as such -- more like films that happen to have musical numbers in them. Hard to explain.

FANTASIA

SINGING IN THE RAIN

WEST SIDE STORY

MARY POPPINS

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS

WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

CABARET

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER & UNCUT

TEAM AMERICA

SINGING IN THE TRAIN

Is that the sequel to the original? :)

I believe it's actually Singin' in the Rain.

:lol: