Sam Raimi Opens Up About 'Spider-Man 3' And His Other Failed Movies

Jay

Spider-man 3 isnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be. But it's a movie clearly made by a commitee, trying to create something they think will please as many people as possible. Sadly the box office proved the right.

On 1/1/2015 at 9:45 AM, Stefancos said:

They are awfully melodramatic!

"This is my curse! I'm Spider-Man..."

Dude, what you have is awesome! How is it a curse to swing around punching bad guys and getting the girl? Spider-Man should be fun!

To be honest I find all 2 of Riami's Spidey films to be little more then entertaining distractions.

The heaps of praise Spider-man 2 got is ridiculous in retrospect. Post 9/11 trauma I guess.

It's a great, old fashioned, over-the-top comic book movie! I'd take them over the Marvel factory films any day.

I laughed out loud last year when I caught part of the 3rd one on TV. The scene where the meteorite with the evil alien just happens to fall out of the sky within spitting distance of Peter Parker, because the plot obviously required it too.

No one even fucking notices it!

That's too easy to do that after the fact. Why don't they say that before the film is released? Fucking cowards!

Contracts usually prohibit anyone working on a film from badmouthing the project before its release.

Which is why interviews with stars or directors conducted during a release press tour aren't really worth watching if you want to hear anything interesting.

I did think there were too many villains in Spidey 3. IF they had just stuck with Harry and Sandman then it might have turned out better. I can't remember if Venom was something Raimi wanted or didn't want but included because fans basically demanded it.

However, as a whole I don't mind the movie all that much. At least we got a kick ass score from Christopher Young which is my favorite Spidey score.

Raimi is said to have hated Venom. I think it was that Venom was 'one dimensional' according to Raimi. What Raimi should have done is used the medium of film to change that. And if they'd done it properly, they could have had Spider-Man in the black suit in Spider-Man 3, he gets rid of it by the end of it, setting up a spinoff movie as opposed to having him as a villain in a mainstream movie. Raimi may not have even had to have had Venom in one of his movies because they would have likely farmed the spinoff out to another director.

There's no doubt Christopher Young wrote a very good theme for Venom, though.

It just seems that the studio really interfered with the film. And ignored the direction that Raimi wanted to take it.

Seems they did the same things with TASM2.

Obviously they didn't learn that this would be detrimental to the final product. Hopefully they will have done now.

It didn't really work because had a very old-fashioned sensibility when it comes to Spider-Man. He like the character as presented in the 1970's and his own quirky directing style was suited for that. It's just when they were trying to introduce modern elements, that's when he was failing badly. I generally enjoy his trilogy, as uneven and silly as it is. At least it didn't try to be serious. The comedy bits are really good in all three films.

Karol

Spider-man 3 isnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Yeah, no, it is.

I thought it was better than the first one, although that's probably colored by how much I prefer Young's score to any other Spider-Man efforts.

Spider-man 3 isnt nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Yeah, no, it is.

I thought it was better than the first one, although that's probably colored by how much I prefer Young's score to any other Spider-Man efforts.

Meh! Young's is my least favorite score of the five movies. And it only added to the many problems I had with the 3rd movie

I love the tragic Sandman theme... something in there produces chills every time I listen to it.

I agree with you. Chris's specialty is tragic villains and their birth.