Sam Raimi Opens Up About 'Spider-Man 3' And His Other Failed Movies

Jay

I thought Elfman's Spider-Man scores were mostly forgettable and mediocre. I dug the gothic black suit material from Spider-Man 3, which I actually thought screamed Elfman! more than anything in the previous scores, but apparently he wasn't involved with that one because he decided to repeat his director/composer feud with Sam Raimi in the role of Tim Burton.

I thought Raimi instigated that feud, getting Elfman kicked from the project?

Elfman actually walked away from S-M2 .

I thought Elfman's Spider-Man scores were mostly forgettable and mediocre. I dug the gothic black suit material from Spider-Man 3, which I actually thought screamed "Elfman!" more than anything in the previous scores, but apparently he wasn't involved with that one because he decided to repeat his director/composer feud with Sam Raimi in the role of Tim Burton.

Where can I find out/hear more about this feud?

A quote from Elfman about it.

"I'm not working on Spider-Man 3. I'm out of that. I won't miss not doing it. Spider-Man 2 was a miserable experience. It's like my connection with Sam got completely severed. As far as I'm concerned, he went to sleep, somebody put a pod next to him and when he awoke, he wasn't the same person I'd known for a decade" says Elfman. "He went from right there number two on my list of favorite directors to the exact opposite of what I look for in a film experience which is everything I could do on Spider-Man 1, I couldn't do on Spider-Man 2. He got so intensely attached to the temp music that I couldn't even adapt my own music close enough. Let me put it that way. I couldn't get close enough to me, least of all anybody else who was in the temp score."

You will hear Elfman's theme in "Spider-Man 3" in any case because Raimi owns it - "He can do whatever he wants. It's the first time I've ever walked from a director in 20 years and hoefully the last time I have to turn my back on somebody but it became like intolerable. And I've been on some heavy duty films, so to say that, it had to be pretty bad. I've been in war zones you couldn't believe in 55 films but this is the first time I said, 'I've had it. It's just not worth it. I'd rather go back to waiting tables than to do Spider-Man 2 again, to have to have the same experience."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/2927/elfman-raimi-split-on-spider-man

Raimi finally opened up about it while promoting that Oz prequel at a press conference back in 2013. And he took most of the blame for the feud even happening. Check out 14:24

That's too easy to do that after the fact. Why don't they say that before the film is released? Fucking cowards!

Contracts usually prohibit anyone working on a film from badmouthing the project before its release.

James Franco did badmouth Rise of the Planet of the Apes while on the press tour. I guess he thought the film was in bad shape after they reshot the ending a month before release.

I think Raimi is being too hard on himself. I place the blame squarely on Sony Pictures and Avi Arad for Spider-Man 3 being cluttered and terribly received. Some of that is Raimi's fault (too much comedic scenes with Peter's altered persona), but I'm still angry that the studio and the producers didn't give him creative freedom to make the third one the way he wanted. His first two Spidey films made $1.5 billion worldwide, you'd figure they'd get the hint and stay out of the way.

I wasn't fond of the melodrama permeating the first Spidey film (especially the ending), but I still think Raimi's second Spidey film is wonderful. Especially in the scenes where Elfman's score isn't cut to shreds.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 01/01/2015 at 5:48 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

Which is why interviews with stars or directors conducted during a release press tour aren't really worth watching if you want to hear anything interesting.

160328101911-sad-ben-affleck-daily-hit-n

• 3 years later...
On 1/3/2015 at 6:04 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I thought Elfman's Spider-Man scores were mostly forgettable and mediocre.

You're an idiot. Get off the sauce, forget about the bitch and just admit you love them.