Geffen Records re-issuing Jaws and E.T. LP programs on vinyl and digital retailers on February 3

TownerFan

http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/01/02/john-williams-scores-being-reissued-onto-wax/

The scores for Jaws and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, both collaborations between John Williams and Steven Spielberg, are being reissued onto vinyl. Theres no pressing information currently available, but both are listed as single LP sets.

The reissues are being released on February 3rd.

I was lucky enough to get the E.T. SACD when it was still in print. I doubt I would hear any additional nuances in the vinyl record.

Ah, I getcha now. Yea, I am looking forward to hearing the vinyl for sure, though I won't be purchasing a copy myself. Hopefully one of our hero labels will release a remastered LP on CD along with the original film tracks (from the first generation master this time)

Heh

js1zzp.jpg

The most important thing is the true tint of the ocean on the Jaws poster

Why do you think I have a copy of the LP hanging in my living room! ;)

Ahhh...thew 70's.

That was my plan before doing that "Williams homage" cratfwork I posted a few months ago. It's a LP frame

I wonder if it's nostalgia, Drax. The people who buy vinyl are generally very young and they look like hipsters. It's an expensive craze too. I won't be a part of it.

Alex

Those damn hipsters! :stick:

I wonder if it's nostalgia, Drax. The people who buy vinyl are generally very young and they look like hipsters. It's an expensive craze too. I won't be a part of it.

Alex

I love my LPs but I've mainly collected cheapies for $2 to $5 each. These new prints are about $40 to $50 each. No way.

I'll never buy such re-relase vinyl.

That's a swindle.

That's a marketing thing I'll never get into.

Making vinyl records is an Art, and I think that it's an Art which is not any more mastered.

I love LPs, I know them very well... all their limitations too. I collect and love to restore them when they are the only source... But mercy... we are in 2015... We can't go back!

Please release a remastered CD version of the original E.T. album :-)

Ok I'll try to understand.

You take the original analog Master tape, you record it on a computer.

Then you remaster it, clean it and digitally correct all the audio drop-outs.

Then you put it on a LP, without mastering it properly for a vinyl, then young people buy it and think it's "the original" sound? ;-)

Is this the future of John Williams releases? Digital-only expanded albums (Jurassic Park), digital releases sourced from vinyl (Towering Inferno) and vinyl reissues for hipsters and nostalgia junkies?

Is this the future of John Williams releases? Digital-only expanded albums (Jurassic Park), digital releases sourced from vinyl (Towering Inferno) and vinyl reissues for hipsters and nostalgia junkies?

TTI wasn't sourced from a vinyl record, it was a remaster of the original studio album master. Vinyl just happened to be the commercial medium at the time.

TTI wasn't sourced from a vinyl record, it was a remaster of the original studio album master. Vinyl just happened to be the commercial medium at the time.

I think someone analyzed it and found it was just a new transfer of the Vinyl.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that! Link?

I recall reading it somewhere as well, not sure where, but just by listening to it, I feel tempted to agree.

My Superman vinyl collects dust somewhere. Is it worth anything?

It depends... is it in mint or near mint condition? If so, I'm sure someone will be willing to pay for it. Hell, I know I did!

Now, that looks like a really great turntable :)

Hell

Is this the first time Miguel loses his cool?

Well, I didn't lost it... just an expression to suggest that I've spent quite some money on some of this stuff, even if many find them worthless. :)

Well at least it shows there's still interest in physical media, so whatever that craze is about it's good overall

Well, I can hear distortion, pops and crackles in one track so it doesn't sound like a re-master to me

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone think we could have soon a new Jaws cd, something like complete + ost?

Has anyone heard anything? Maybe this year that it's its anniversary?

I was thinking maybe I have to buy the ost.

Jaws got a very lavish Blu-ray release in 2012 in celebration of Universals anniversary and I was hoping that we would have gotten something then, or for ET.

They did. The ET blu is grand