BloodBoal

After listening to MR. TURNER i at least have to recommend the Academy for nominating a recalcitrant chamber music score - in lieu of more surface gloss.

I just listened to the first track only (this is what i could find in youtube), and if the rest are like this, it could be the most interesting musically soundtrack of all the nominees..

It does seem a rather unexpected nominee from the academy!

I'm absolutely stunned, but quite pleased that Mr Turner got a nomination. I ended up choosing Deep in the Darkness as my #5 pick on the JWFan Awards thread, but it just as easily could have been Mr Turner or The Boxcar Children, and probably would have been one of those two if not for their poor album presentations. That said, I think one of the Desplats will win. Good God he was productive this year.

Although none of my personal top 5 this year got nominated, I think it's a much better selection than last year, and I won't be particularly angry with any winner out of this group.

Thank god the nomination are not up to soundtrack fans. As bad as the oscars are, at least a minimum of variety is guaranteed. Instead we would have scores like CUTTHROAT ISLAND and BACK TO THE FUTURE win every year.

That's true. I still think that HTTYD 2 is deserving of a nomination, even by non-filmscore fan standards. It's not just an entertaining album experience, it enhances (if not makes) the movie it's attached to.

Thank god the nomination are not up to soundtrack fans. As bad as the oscars are, at least a minimum of variety is guaranteed. Instead we would have scores like CUTTHROAT ISLAND and BACK TO THE FUTURE win every year.

You mean, like, actually the best scores? Yes, that would be preposterous ...

Instead, let's give foreigners with an odd name the trophy for the sake of "variety".

Disqualified.

I'd like to see Desplat take it for The Imitation Game - it worked tremendously in the film.

I'll be amazed if The Theory of Everything doesn't win. Foreign composer, and a film with a subject matter critics fall over themselves to praise. I listened to a bit of it on spotify - okay I guess. I enjoyed Samuel Bohn's trailer music more.

Interstellar!

First great Zimmer score in about 10 years and somehow i feel like he should get the trophy. So i say let's give him his second oscar.

(HTTYD 2 absolutely should have got nominated)

• 4 weeks later...

Because Johan Jorganston has an unpronounceable foreign sounding name, which means the music is more sophisticated.

It is Desplat's moment surely! He has been working so hard for years now and his name is exotic. Alexandre Desplat.

"Alexandre Desplat" doesn't sound exotic, it sounds flat.

OK. In these parts it does sound very exotic. But his two nominations will likely cancel each other out.

Good point. Perhaps I should start learning how to use one of those paint-by-numbers composition programmes. My Oscar win would be guaranteed no matter what I wrote!

Just record yourself doodling on a guitar and you're good to go!

I'll do one better. I'll score an entirely film by hitting a dead opossum against a snare drum. Better yet I'll form a snare drum circle with some friends. Now you got an exotic name and a gimmick.

And the Oscar goes to... Mikko Ojala for Unelma jäätynyt järvi!

The Dream: A Frozen Lake. Not bad. Someone needs to direct it now.

Move over Desplat! Pasi and I will be taking over the awards season. Best foreign film and best original score!

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well my prediction of the winner came true. Unfortunately I don't get the numbers right in important things like lottery though.