The JWFan Guide to Orchestral Sampling

Uni

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

Again, thanks for your incredibly insightful feedback, @karelm

By the way ...

:banana:

A Kontakt trick that could drastically reduce the RAM footprint of your orchestral template:

Some libraries come shipped with a variety of different microphone positions. Orchestral Tools' Berlin Strings, for example, offers a close mic, a concert master mic, an AB mic set, a Decca tree and a surround mic set. I only use the Decca tree, so I basically selected all the sample groups that contained the samples for the microphone positions I don't use and removed all of their zones (samples). You have to be very careful when doing this (and please, do not save the patch you are altering at any rate, instead save the multi - this won't affect the factory patches), but when done right you can save a phenomenal amount of RAM. Even when a multi-microphone patch is purged, the individual microphone positions still take up a hefty amount of RAM of their own.

Sometimes simply removing the groups instead of emptying them will work, but newer libraries tend to be scripted in ways that require the groups to be in a certain order/position, so I recommend using the above method.

This way, I've effectively reduced the RAM footprint of my computer when running my orchestral template (using Berlin Woodwinds, Berlin Strings, etc.) to 42%, coming from 58% to 60% (I have only 16 GB of RAM). Quite hefty a change, if you ask me!

If you think this could help you, but have trouble applying the technique, feel free to PM me.

Very helpful, thanks.  I now have Berlin Brass :lovethis: but its huge on memory.  Can you take a screenshot of how to remove all the sample zones you mention?

• 3 years later...

Spitfire has made a beginner version if their BBC orchestra samples available for $49 or free with questionaire.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/?fbclid=IwAR2dA-CyKx2Avqb-wZMtCbHRzLhBNNKxdkMqfXNrRQIc7wB1V5KofSPFoME

I don't see anything about separate patches for SATB like in Symphonic Choirs. It reads:

The included SATB Voice Leading Engine can take incoming midi data sent from a piano track and assign the proper notes to each section automatically.  

Meaning you don't actually have control over the different sections, but they're applied automatically. 

But there's one picture on that page that shows you can activate every section seperate, no? I'm quite sure I watched a walkthrough video about it.

Is East West finally fucking off with the iLok key? What a pain in the arse. 

It's 2020, I could control every single item in my home with fingertips on my smartphone, and yet, I need to plug in a physical device to a computer in order to use a music software. 

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Are those large Orchestral Tools libraries really for download? How long on earth does that take to download? 

Depends on your internet speed. I think the last one I downloaded took an entire day or two. Most of the really big ones (like the HO Diamond versions) I got a long time ago so they had to come on separate 1 TB hard drives. Took forever just to transfer the files. :P

On 5/30/2020 at 7:00 PM, gkgyver said:

Is East West finally fucking off with the iLok key? What a pain in the arse. 

It's 2020, I could control every single item in my home with fingertips on my smartphone, and yet, I need to plug in a physical device to a computer in order to use a music software. 

And if you lose that thing, you'll lose your library as well, unless you buy insurance ($30/yr).

4 hours ago, Pando said:

And if you lose that thing, you'll lose your library as well, unless you buy insurance ($30/yr).

You don't lose your library as long as you don't lose access to your account. If you lose your iLok I believe you can just contact customer support to sort it out.

Personally, I've never had an issue with iLok itself. I have horrid luck with laptops so the iLok is connected to my workstation 24/7. I used to have issues with some sort of PACE verification or something and would need to reboot, but that hasn't happened in years. I can imagine the iLok being an issue though with those who are more on the move.

Some time ago, all of my East West stuff told me the licenses expired. It took me forever to find out why on earth.

I ordered Hollywood Choirs for a 60% discount this weekend. I'm updating all of my computer stuff, so why not that. 

I would recommend watching walkthroughs on youtube. Each of them have down- and upsides. Depends on what you are looking for.

• 5 months later...