Convince me that upgrading to OS X Yosemite won't kill my computer and trigger my latent crippling anger issues, please.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing tangible, I'm just incredibly gunshy about computers and anything that would present any possibility of strife. I have zero patience with that sort of stuff and try to avoid it.

I've heard it's running fine with various industry standard software and whatnot. Compatability is less worrying than general slowdowns or glitches.

Baby duck syndrome is a tendency of computer users to prefer the system or software they learn on.

But isn't that applicable to, say, language or cars? I speak English and remember a lot of my high school level Spanish, so do I have BDS towards learning French? Should I also learn how to drive a stick even though I drive an automatic, is my BDS holding me back?

Where is the incentive (financial, personal, spiritual, whatever) for learning a new system this late in the ballgame? If all the software you use is on Mac, why switch to a Windows machine? That's just expensive.

Baby duck syndrome is a tendency of computer users to prefer the system or software they learn on. But isn't that applicable to, say, language or cars? I speak English and remember a lot of my high school level Spanish, so do I have BDS towards learning French? Should I also learn how to drive a stick even though I drive an automatic, is my BDS holding me back? Where is the incentive (financial, personal, spiritual, whatever) for learning a new system this late in the ballgame?

That's half the explanation. The other half is that after coming to preferring the first system the user learns on, they then judge other systems by their similarity to their first system. Don't tell me that you don't judge the performance of a car or the difficult of learning a new language in relation to your first car or first language, respectively.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking about making a decision to learn a new skill-set based on preference, not based on a personal evaluation of learning difficulty.

If all the software you use is on Mac, why switch to a Windows machine? That's just expensive.

That's a decision made in spite of BDS, not because of it, and for practical reasons.

Yeah I know which is why I'm confused. I wasn't talking about preference based on familiarity, nor did I "learn" on any of the systems I now use. But that I've invested a lot of money and time into Mac stuff.

You specifically said you don't want to back to Windows, but now I'm guessing it's for a reason different than what I think it might be.

Good-bye, baby duck.

btw, a Mac

is a PC.

I'm torn on what my next computer should be. I'm familiar with Windows, warts and all, and I can never seem to wrap my head around the Apple interface. People talk up Apple as if it was made through divine guidance, but I have no idea what it's limitations are compared to Windows.

All I know is it excels at what I want it to do and doesn't give me headaches like Windows used to.

What's the upshot with Yosemite compared to its predecessor OS?

As far as I care, compatibility with future stuff. I don't want to get fucked over when I need a vital update and it only works on an OS three generations newer than my current one.