BloodBoal

I Vow to Thee, My Country.

Goosebumps!

Yes!

Either that or Land of Hope and Glory should have been the actual national anthem.

What could sound more English than Holst or Elgar!

One of my brothers is a big fan of national anthems and even knows the words to some really obscure ones. When I go to England games with him I can often hear him mumbling the lyrics of the away team's anthem under his breath while everyone else is booing or shouting "F**k off, you c**ts!" towards the opposition fans.

Thanks to him I have come to know the magnificence of Mauritania's national anthem.

What could sound more English than Holst or Elgar!

Vaughan Williams?

I think you mean Charles Ives. Or Aaron Copland.

I don't think I have heard many national anthems, but Hatikva (Israel's anthem) which is in minor is closest to my character.

I was just about to say that. Outside my own country's national anthem, I would go for that, I think.

I would like that you can choose the one from Quebec, but we're not a Country yet, so we don't have a national anthem...

So I'll go for Krakozhia too, I'll never choose the Canada one. C'est non! ;)

I'm a bit biased being half-Norwegian, but Ja, vi elsker dette landet is pretty moving. The best performance I remember hearing is from the closing ceremony of the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics.

Hatikvah's another great one, plus La Marseillais is all kinds of awesome. Can't listen to that without thinking of THE DAY OF THE JACKAL.

I'm a bit biased being half-Norwegian, but Ja, vi elsker dette landet is pretty moving. The best performance I remember hearing is from the closing ceremony of the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics.

That's nice to hear, thanks. There are many good versions out there, but I think I this choir-only version is my favourite -- especially the part from 0:23 onwards:

1980s Soviet Union. No competition!

I also really like the Soviet anthem, komrades. Beautiful tune.

Yesssss! Didn't see this when I replied! I knew I liked you, you pinko commie!

Slav'sya, Otechestvo nashe svobodnoye!

National Champs OSU's version.

Best damn band in the land.

National Champs OSU's version.

Best damn band in the land.

hard to argue that.