BLACK SUNDAY Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP On Sale

Available for the first time ever on Vinyl, we are pleased to present John Williams' tremendous score for BLACK SUNDAY.

BLACK SUNDAY (1977) is story of a terrorist group attempting to blow up a Goodyear blimp hovering over the Super Bowl stadium with 80,000 people and the President of the United States in attendance. The film is based on a novel by Thomas Harris (Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs) and directed by John Frankenheimer. You can view the trailer here.

The 2XLP, which features original artwork and packaging by Jay Shaw and liner notes by Brian Satterwhite, will become available at 12pm CST this Sunday, February 1st.

In honor of the big game, we're releasing this soundtrack with two exclusive colorways, available SUNDAY ONLY: New England Variant (Tri-Colored Red, White & Blue 180 Gram Vinyl) & Seattle Variant (Tri-Colored Blue, Silver & Green 180 Gram Vinyl). After Sunday, the record will only be available on Black Vinyl.

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bbb7f7cd76c446096ce10efb2&id=ba7bab0532

It's a great cover, except . . . wasn't the movie about a bomb on a blimp, not terrorists shooting guns? (Harder to represent that on a cover using a helmet, I grant you.)

I wish they'd show a pic of those tri-colored albums. They sound very cool.

The cover art for this utterly pointless release is terrible. It looks like a modern video game or something. Golden age John Williams score albums were known for spectacular cover art. This isn't even good in that minimalist Star Wars/Superman logo on black kind of way. What was wrong with the original poster art with the blimp? Absolutely nothing.

It's a great cover, except . . . wasn't the movie about a bomb on a blimp, not terrorists shooting guns? (Harder to represent that on a cover using a helmet, I grant you.)

I wish they'd show a pic of those tri-colored albums. They sound very cool.

Well the FSM release succeeded in doing that using the picture of a blimp (although not the best cover art in the world). The helmet in the cover is quite a far fetched angle on the story as they picked an element that does play a peripheral role in the movie but is hardly at the centre of it (a stadium would have been equally logical as a helmet). Interesting choice for an LP release.

These modern LP's aren't truly analog though. Since the masters used to create them were digital.

This is against my religion.

But it won't sound any different then the CD!

False.

A Master done for a CD can't be used "as it stands" for a LP transfer.

They have to modify the frequencies for a LP transfer, well, I hope they do it!

Then the LP play will had some distortions.. well, the ones LP lovers seems to like (by example outer and inner tracks of a LP can't reproduce exactly the same range of frequencies, you have also the distortion between contiguous grooves [is this the right word?])

If you compare the CD and the LP waveform of the same recording, you will find many differences!

But shhhh.. new and young LP lovers don't know that ;)

Although it has no interest to me personally, it's pretty cool with all these LP reissues. I think the cover is fine, but I prefer the FSM version.

Twiddling with an equalizer wont make this an audiophile release!

The whole vinyl sounds better debate is meaningless if they use the same masters as the CD!

Vinyl mastering is very weird. Indeed they add EQ (to make up for possible loss of high frequencies) and LPs tend to sound worse when the circle is getting smaller (and they can't fix that).

I don't understand this sudden craze with LPs.

Should we expect films being released in VHS too?

I thought you loved it when everything was analog!

I love old music and old movies, but not the mediums.

I love Blurays and cds (of course when they aren't messed up)

I don't understand why people are dissing the cover. I like the kind of blocky, clunky look of it -- even if it is very different from the FSM version. It reminds me a bit of this:

Full+Metal+Jacket+Soundtrack+full_metal_

well for one thing it doesn't fit at all. The football teams did not die

but damn if I don't want to watch the movie now.

well for one thing it doesn't fit at all. The football teams did not die

No, but I don't think it's meant in a literal sense. More a symbol for the attack on the Superbowl.

perhaps but the Helmet depicted is of a more modern design but not quite like those of the 70's.

Not like them at all.

perhaps but the Helmet depicted is of a more modern design but not quite like those of the 70's.

This.

It looks more like a poster for a new video game about post-apocalypse zombies or something.

It doesn't suck it's just inaccurate. Anyone who know football from that era can see.

1/4 million steel darts would have killed a lot of those at the game.

John's music is unchanged from the Blimp version or helmet version. Still not among his great works.

Classic does not apply.

So, nothing to say about this classic 70's JW score? Just the helmet thet sucks?

Well it is an absolutely gripping piece of music, single mindedly-constructed thematically with the obsessive terrorist motif leading the way (it contains a brilliant preparation-fugue as well) and has some of JWs most nail-biting suspense and action during the finale yet does mostly sound nothing like Star Wars or Close Encounters of the Third Kind that came out the same year.

It's very good, but it feels very much like "underscore"...unlike many JW scores, it feels like it was written to accompany a film, rather than to be music in itself.

It's very good, but it feels very much like "underscore"...unlike many JW scores, it feels like it was written to accompany a film, rather than to be music in itself.

I never get that vibe. It serves the film I am sure but it does have a very strong musical structure and narrative on its own I feel.

It's a release of classic score to coincide with modern games. They state that in the press release.

The score itself is unique in Williams' output - this only thriller/action score. Plus it has proto-Force theme. :)

Karol

It's a release of classic score to coincide with midern games. They state that in the press release.

The score itself is unique in Williams' output - this only thriller/action score. Plus it has proto-Force theme. :)

Karol

The liner notes make an interesting comparison with Munich and I have to agree that there is some similarity with the way the terrorist motif and the assassination motif are constructed although the former is orchestral and the heart beat rhythm of the other comes closer to sound design.

Wow never realized te force theme similarities!

I never get that vibe. It serves the film I am sure but it does have a very strong musical structure and narrative on its own I feel.

It just feels like there's something missing. JW once described writing film music as writing the background of a concerto, absent the actual solo line. This is one of the few scores where I feel that's true.

I still like listening to it--as a trombone player I love the exposed tbone writing. But it also works well as background music when I'm studying for instsnce