BLACK SUNDAY Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP On Sale

Still the Helmet cover is akin to having a Titanic score with a modern ocean liner on the cover.

perhaps but the Helmet depicted is of a more modern design but not quite like those of the 70's.

Not like them at all.

This is a great point! It's a detail that demonstrates the designer wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing. (And it might've been more fitting to have half of it blown off instead of bleeding bullet holes. . . .)

It's a great cover, except . . . wasn't the movie about a bomb on a blimp, not terrorists shooting guns? (Harder to represent that on a cover using a helmet, I grant you.)

I wish they'd show a pic of those tri-colored albums. They sound very cool.

I like the cover, but yes the movie was about a bomb on a blimp, scheduled to go off during the Superbowl. Inside the blimp were also thousands of darts meant to fly into and nail the crowd, propelled by the force of the bomb's blast. Those aren't supposed to be bullet holes on the helmet or the crowd pic: they're dart holes.

And yep, I wish they showed a pic of the tri-coloured albums too. :)

yes the movie was about a bomb on a blimp, scheduled to go off during the Superbowl. Inside the blimp were also thousands of darts meant to fly into and nail the crowd, propelled by the force of the bomb's blast.

Sounds like the premise of a bad Batman movie ...

yes the movie was about a bomb on a blimp, scheduled to go off during the Superbowl. Inside the blimp were also thousands of darts meant to fly into and nail the crowd, propelled by the force of the bomb's blast.

Sounds like the premise of a bad Batman movie ...

there was only one Batman movie at that time.

It's based on a brilliant book by the creator of fafafafafa.

• 1 month later...

It's very good, but it feels very much like "underscore"...unlike many JW scores, it feels like it was written to accompany a film, rather than to be music in itself.

That's why it's one of my favourite Williams scores. It doesn't impose itself like on some of his Spielberg collabs, or feel like it was written primarily as concert suite for Boston Pops.

I don't know why you consider 'underscore' to be a dirty word. Most of Williams's best music is 'underscore.'

It's very good, but it feels very much like "underscore"...unlike many JW scores, it feels like it was written to accompany a film, rather than to be music in itself.

That's why it's one of my favourite Williams scores. It doesn't impose itself like on some of his Spielberg collabs, or feel like it was written primarily as concert suite for Boston Pops.

I don't know why you consider 'underscore' to be a dirty word. Most of Williams's best music is 'underscore.'

Preach.

I love this score precisely for its underscore and the remarkable sense of architecture that seems to be matched/exceeded only by works like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Karol

I love this score precisely for its underscore and the remarkable sense of architecture that seems to be matched/exceeded only by works like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Karol

Ditto. I quite understand why some reviewer back in the day compared it to Jaws in construction as it does revolve around a simple obsessive central idea in a very similar way and the architecture of the score is very precise and strong and never gets too repetetive for the detriment of pure listening experience.