LLL reissues 1941 (1000 copies)

TownerFan

Possibly an alternate take, but more likely the Kelso fanfare was dialed out leaving the underscore or something.

Not at all a likely scenario - you can't possibly dial out the first trumpet and leave the rest in without having at least some artefacts.

Maybe the fanfare was heard in a front channel as an insert and in the isolated score they ommited it?

The fanfare was certainly not recorded as a single insert - on the LLL set, the fanfare is heard without this trumpet line as a contrapuntal figure.

Possibly an alternate take, but more likely the Kelso fanfare was dialed out leaving the underscore or something.

Not at all a likely scenario - you can't possibly dial out the first trumpet and leave the rest in without having at least some artefacts.

Maybe the fanfare was heard in a front channel as an insert and in the isolated score they ommited it?

The fanfare was certainly not recorded as a single insert - on the LLL set, the fanfare is heard without this trumpet line as a contrapuntal figure.

perhaps I didn't put it right.

maybe the fanfare was recorded in a separate channel (not as an insert afterwards).

Eg. in one piece in The River that I tried to isolate the music, if you cut out the center channel, the percussion were cut out. But you could listen to the rest of the orchestration.

You could if you recorded certain things seperately.

For example the bells in the Quo Vadis Main Title:

Ok, I checked the isolated score on the DVD.

It's exaclty like the youtube extract Alexander posted.

No Kelso fanfare.

Although in the actual audio of the film it is there (though you can barely hear it)

I am guessing it's one of two possibilities:

Option 1. The Kelso fanfare was a separately recorded overlay, which got used in the film, so MM correctly included the overlay on Disc 1 of the complete score presentation. When assembling the extras on disc 2, he found an alternate version of the beginning of the cue, which was incomplete (only including the first minute of the cue, not the last 40 seconds), and didn't feel the need to join it to the original ending of the cue, without the overlay. Furthermore, whoever assembled the iso score for the LD screwed up and forgot to include the overlay there.

Option 2. The Kelso fanfare was recorded along with everything else, but for whatever reason a mix with the fanfare dialed out was accidentally used for the laserdisc iso score. MM correctly used the mix with the fanfare on Disc 1, and felt no need to include the incorrect mix without it on disc 2.

I guess it's neat to hear what the cue is like without the Kelso overlay via the LD iso score, but it's certainly not essential. Probably should have been included on Disc 2 of the set (in the existing Alternate Defending the Homeland track) for completist sake, but certainly no big deal.

Faleel has my quote handily in his signature:

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

;)

I may as well get it now... it's one of his golden era scores that I never got, never even heard the OST, except for the march on a compilation. It's essentially the only thing I remember from the score when I saw the film two times.

This new batch seems like a good opportunity, besides you guys all seem to love it, so I'm going to take a chance on it. :)

I'm buying a copy just to have the latest year on the back cover. That's very important to me.

Oh you collecting OCD rascal you!

I still don't like this film. Do I have to turn in my JWFan card?

Nah. It is a very uneven and too full of gags for its own good. Think of it as the commercial failure slap in the face Spielberg needed to make better films.

Definitely. His films that followed would not have been as tight, focused, and polished if he hadn't learned that lesson. It took a stinker to do it, but we all benefited in the long run.

1941 LOW QUANTITY ALERT

If you want it, buy it now

Down to 100 units

Please note:

A very limited amount of 1941 cds will be made available at the 1941 Extended Cut screening that is now happening at the Egyptian Movie Theater on March 22. More details to come on the screening shortly.

Now, lemme hear them guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10153209856258755

• 1 year later...

@Jay Do you have a "Missouri Breaks"-like tip for this one too? It appears I waited too long... again...

JW is beginning to have too much fans, that's a problem!

I think you're out of luck with this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if LLL themselves reissues it again sometime for people who missed out (in other words, another identical reissue with no changes)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

@Jay Do you have a "Missouri Breaks"-like tip for this one too? It appears I waited too long... again...

JW is beginning to have too much fans, that's a problem!

Dunno what it would cost me to get it shipped to you, but I have an extra copy for sale or trade, still sealed.

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

Dunno what it would cost me to get it shipped to you, but I have an extra copy for sale or trade, still sealed.

Where are you?

On 12/13/2016 at 10:14 AM, Jay said:

I think you're out of luck with this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if LLL themselves reissues it again sometime for people who missed out (in other words, another identical reissue with no changes)

It's bad enough they reissued a thousand copies. I'm sick of all these reissues making my collection less valuable.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Why would it make your collection, less valuable, Sel? Surely, what the music means to you is more valuable than its monetary worth?

You're not a ferengi, are you?