James Horner in conversation (Classic FM interview)

TownerFan

https://soundcloud.com/classic_fm/titanic-composer-james-horner-in-conversation

Classic FM's Tommy Pearson talks to the award-winning movie composer James Horner about Avatar, Titanic and his other great film scores.

Long and interesting interview, with very intelligent questions posed by the ever-reliable Tommy Pearson and some honest and down-to-earth answers by the composer. Definitely check it out.

Oh my god, worth it for the classic Horner moment when he says he didn't like Jerry's TMP but "doesn't want to offend him, wherever he is now."

And how gruelling it must have been to rip it off thrice, then.

Love that they play the music they're referencing as they go (and the full pieces, too). Not enough straight interviews do this.

On 2/2/2015 at 2:05 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Oh my god, worth it for the classic Horner moment when he says he didn't like Jerry's TMP but "doesn't want to offend him, wherever he is now."

"There were moments in a lot of different films where I could tell there's no better way of doing it than the way I did it." - James Horner

I find it really difficult to be bothered by his seeming arrogance. I don't think it's intentional, I think he's just not great at saying what's on his mind in a way that doesn't paint him as a precious conceited cunt.

I like him.

Another thing that bothers me about certain attacks on Horner are that they are attacks on his talent rather than his character. I personally think that James Horner is devoid of morals, but I know for a fact that he has more talent than a good 95% of the rest of film composers out there. This is, after all, the same man who gave us Star Trek II, Krull, Brainstorm, Aliens, Cocoon, Battle Beyond the Stars and many other classics that any fan of film music would care to mention. How then, can anyone claim that Horner has no talent? Like I said, he has more talent than 95% of the other composers in Hollywood; his popularity is proof of that. It's his system of ethics that needs worked on. Just keep that in mind so that the next time you decide to insult the man, you have good reason to and are not insulting him for the wrong reason.

(http://scoresounds.tripod.com/titanic.html)

Horner's singular attitude is always riveting to listen to, so his words here came as no surprise. Entertaining as always.

I listened to this on Saturday night when it aired. It's the second or third in a series, and last week was Danny Elfman.

I'm not really getting the surprise here that they played full pieces in this slot, though - it's Classic FM. When they're not doing Saturday Night at the Movies they're playing hours of chamber music and boring opera.

http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/saturday-night-movies/conversation-movies/

• 4 months later...

Another thing that bothers me about certain attacks on Horner are that they are attacks on his talent rather than his character. I personally think that James Horner is devoid of morals, but I know for a fact that he has more talent than a good 95% of the rest of film composers out there. This is, after all, the same man who gave us Star Trek II, Krull, Brainstorm, Aliens, Cocoon, Battle Beyond the Stars and many other classics that any fan of film music would care to mention. How then, can anyone claim that Horner has no talent? Like I said, he has more talent than 95% of the other composers in Hollywood; his popularity is proof of that. It's his system of ethics that needs worked on. Just keep that in mind so that the next time you decide to insult the man, you have good reason to and are not insulting him for the wrong reason.

(http://scoresounds.tripod.com/titanic.html)

What does he mean?

• 3 years later...

Yes, thankfully! Quite envious of Daniel, who got 30 minutes with him or so. I only got 11 minutes for my interview.