BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

Saul is an absolutely fantastic supporting character, but I'm not sure how he'll translate to being the main character in his own show. I suspect they'll be inventing a lot of new characters to go along with him... Or the various cases he takes on each week will feature more prominently than his own story.

I don't think it will be anything like Breaking Bad.

It won't be. Each episode is bound to be a self contained 'case'. It'll probably have the wit of BB though, so could be good for those who like weekly drama along the lines of Justified and the like.

Well, after the pilot he could always pass the showrunner responsibilities off to someone else, and go create a completely new show somewhere else

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike's going to be in BCS?! I've already ordered it (even though they still have to make it)!

What do you mean, "it's not your kind of show"?!!!

Alex

I just hope this thing can be actually decent.

Karol

I can't see myself watching it. Not my kind of show.

Well, to be quite honest, BB wasn't either. At first. ;)

Karol

The thing that interests me least about this show is the indication by producers that they would include appearances by Walter/Jesse/the Whites/etc. Certain characters make sense in a BB prequel centered around Saul - Mike, Huell, etc. I don't really have much interest in seeing any of the further adventures of Walt and Jesse - I think their stories were well served by BB.

That said, I'll watch it - at least the first few episodes.

Agreed. It would be nice if Walt and Jesse are never featured in the show. Also Hank, Marie, Skyler, and Walt Jr too - they should also never appear on the show.

I tend to agree. BB's five seasons occurred largely within the timespan of one calendar year, from Walt's 50th birthday to his 51st. Yes, there are flashbacks to younger days, and the end of the show jumps forward another year to his 52nd when he's in hiding, right before the show ends.

There is a lot of "gap time" that could be filled in, but not so much in the final months of Season Five when we know what Saul, Walt, and Mike (haha) are up to. I guess we could see Walt or Jesse or the Schrader/White clan in cameo appearances, like at the store or getting a car wash or passing on the freeway. Saul's history with Mike is definitely interesting, but I don't think that Huell would fit in the past unless they had a previous client relationship. But as I remember it, Saul had no history with Jesse and Walt before their first meeting when trying to keep Badger out of prison. A careless prequel meeting could undermine that and unravel the established continuity.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Jesse's up to in the future, if BCS does indeed straddle both Saul's past before BB and future afterwards, though the mystery is also appealing.

I mentioned the restriction of one calendar year because if BCS shows events occurring in parallel with BB, like how Saul filled in the rest of the day or Walt's actions from across town or on the news, then the new show begins to paint itself into a corner which has a very near end in sight.

Saul had no history with Jesse and Walt before their first meeting when trying to keep Badger out of prison. A careless prequel meeting could undermine that and unravel the established continuity.

This is what I'm afraid of.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Better Call Saul has already been renewed for a second season despite the fact they are still filming the first season - wow.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2014/06/amc-updates-on-better-call-saul/

Article includes a pic from the set

Just saw that email from Anthony Hopkins - high praise from someone of his stature. But in the case of Breaking Bad, it's absolutely well-deserved. I think I'll watch "ABQ" with dinner tonight.

Still not feeling especially optimistic about "Better Call Saul." The talent is there, but I just don't see much promise in the premise. Still, I'd love to be wrong.

The premise is actually the least of my worries. Is Gilligan putting the same kind of commitment to this show as he did with Breaking Bad or is it just a cheap side project while he's busy preparing a true follow-up. Let me put is this way, is this The Empire Strikes Back or The Star Wars Holiday Special?

Better Call Saul isn't on my radar so if it does turn out to be good then it'll be a pleasant bonus.

But I doubt I'll be bothering with it if it resets every week.

Like I said, I don't tend to be a fan of weekly 'case' sorts of shows. But if this has an ongoing storyline like the other stuff I watch I'll defo check it out.

I hope there's a story arc too (like in BB). Maybe Saul gets a new case each week but other aspects of his 'life' might get a continuing storyline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...