BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

Small production update from Tony Dalton

“He already wants to go back to work,” he said. “But well, until his doctors and his wife let him basically, he won’t be able to return, but I hope he will be back soon.”

As far as where filming stands, Dalton explained, “Right now we are filming all the scenes he is not in and waiting until he is given the green light to return to work, but the truth is despite everything this business entails, the most important thing is that he is healthy … I mean, it’s someone’s life, nothing is more important.”

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/better-call-saul-season-6-update-following-bob-odenkirks-hospitalization.html/

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, interesting... He's finished the director's cut of episode 7 but is still tweaking the script for episode 11! So production has definitely slowed down significantly around episode 9-10.

I'd say a split season is the likely outcome at this point, probably with a year's gap. Same as BB's final season but with 3 less episodes overall. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bob Odenkirk is 59 years old today!

Season 6 of Better Call will begin where Season 5 left off in early 2004, when Saul was 44 years old!

The Gene / Cinnabon scenes take place in 2012, when Saul is 52. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Possibly covid protocols make everything slower, too.

Also possibly we could be getting into storytelling require more elaborate sets and locations and more setups in them so each episode could be taking longer to film than they usually do

The one article I posted four posts before your question is the only place it's ever been mentioned. Could be a mistake the author of that article made. We don't know. 

I think one of the writers (maybe even Schnauz) discussed before production began that they were trying to convince Peter Gould to split the final season in half, but retain 13 episodes overall.

COVID protocols + filming delays due to Odenkirk's heart attack probably sealed the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Odenkirk is already way to old for the part.

They shouldn't delay anymore if They want to preserve credibility.

Hope it's a good finale.

Haven't they finished filming already? 

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Haven't they finished filming already? 

Karol

On 20/12/2021 at 12:08 AM, Jay said:

Wow, only 11 out of 13 episodes filmed so far

There's been no news that they've wrapped yet, and I'd expect each of episodes 12 and 13 will take 3-4 weeks to film. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the series again. I think I've seen seasons 1-3 twice already and 4 and 5 only once. The entire thing is just

carl-chef-kiss.gif

I'll watch Breaking Bad again after I finish season 5.

Right now I'd say I think Better Call Saul is even better, but I haven't watched BB for years. I wonder how/if it's aged.

Nice, so far I've seen every Breaking Bad and BCS episode one time each.  I am certain I will re-watch both shows again in the future; I bought all of BB on Blu Ray and look forward to seeing it that way since I initially saw it via poorly compressed cable TV.  Plus I believe the discs are full of deleted scenes and stuff I look forward to finally seeing.

I hope BCS gets a nice Blu Ray set too.

One thing I have already re-watched, is before each new BCS season starts I re-watch all the prior Gene/Cinnabon openings just before the first new episode.  I enjoy that very much!  I can't wait to see where that storyline is going, as much as I can't wait to see where the main storyline goes next too

I saw BREAKING BAD up again last year (including the movie). Still excellent, of course -- played better the second time when I could watch it all in big "bulks". Haven't done the same with BCS yet, but I probably will in advance of the upcoming season.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

One thing I have already re-watched, is before each new BCS season starts I re-watch all the prior Gene/Cinnabon openings just before the first new episode.  I enjoy that very much!  I can't wait to see where that storyline is going, as much as I can't wait to see where the main storyline goes next too

Yes! When the series finishes, I'd love to stitch all of these together and hopefully have a mini-epilogue for Gene.

Oh, I don't think there will be anything mini about it.

This is what I think will happen:

On 11/03/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jay said:

Episode 1 - usual Gene cold open, ending with the biggest cliffhanger yet

rest of Episode 1 through episode 10 - wrap-up of the main timeline story they've been telling.  Towards the end we are overlapping with the Breaking Bad timeframe and see Saul's viewpoints on things we saw in BB (like that one flashforward they did in season 4).  Ends with Jimmy leaving everyone behind to go into hiding in Omaha via Ed (which would have been shown but with Robert Forester passing that will have to be discussed without being shown I guess unless they already filmed it in secret)

Episode 11 - continues the black and white Gene scene from the cliffhanger, but at some point it transitions to color.

Rest of episode 11 through episode 13 - continuation of the Gene story line to some kind of... probably tragic but maybe not ending

That's a good point. I think I remember reading that we'll see more of Gene throughout season 6. I originally took that at face value of "more episodes will start with Gene flash-forwards", but you're probably right - the Jimmy/Saul storyline will probably wrap up with 1 or 2 episodes to go. Then the final 2 - perhaps they'll transition from black and white into colour - will be dedicated to wrapping up the Gene storyline.

I've just finished season 4 again. That scene where Mike tracks Werner down at the spa only to find him on the phone with Lalo, who's posing as one of Gus's men.

Mike takes the phone. The line goes silent. Lalo realises what's happening. "Michael? Michael...is that you?" with a grin on his face. Mike hangs up. Having the primary antagonist also being the most charming character is soooo good!

I do hope the two of them have some sort of showdown.

Lalo was such a great addition to the show. 

Nothing will match the greatness of having Chuck be Jimmy's nemesis for the first 3 seasons, but adding Gus and Lalo to the mix for the next 3 was definitely a great thing

I enjoy disliking Lalo. His upbeat nature makes him all the more interesting (and threatening). Chuck was just unlikable, but annoying. I know that's the point, but it's just so much better to have an antagonist I can have fun hating.

That's an interesting perspective on it!

Lalo is also good because you know he can end up in any situation - with Saul, Mike, and Gus so much of their future (in the main timeline) is known.  This is also what makes the idea of a lengthy Gene / Cinnabon sequence in the final season so tantalizing, because now everyone is in the anything can happen to them category!

With any luck they secretly filmed another scene with him while they had him that day that they knew they'd need for season 6

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

Teaser! First footage! No premiere date.

There's speculation that the premiere date is actually hidden in this teaser. The evidence markers are D (4th letter of the alphabet) and R (18th letter of the alphabet), or 4/18, which is a week after the next run of Walking Dead episodes ends, and also a Monday. Filming is supposed to wrap this week, so that's a realistic timeline.

There's a great new NYTimes profile on Bob Odenkirk tied to S6 and his upcoming book. It discusses his heart attack (which he doesn't remember), filming the final season, and his initial thoughts after reading the series finale script. I'll caution anyone who wants to stay 100% spoiler-free for the final season that it describes Bob and Vince filming a scene from (seemingly) late in the season, and includes some other vague tidbits and suggestions. It's hard to draw strong conclusions from anything, but I'm still surprised that some of it was included here.

Here's Bob talking to Rhea about reading the finale:

Spoiler

Odenkirk stood with Rhea Seehorn at the kitchen island in their house, talking about the finale of “Better Call Saul” — very carefully, because I was there. Odenkirk read Gould’s script the night before, and Seehorn didn’t try to hide her curiosity.

“You have 13?” she asked, eyes wide, referring to the episode number. “You like it?”

“It’s a lot in there, a lot to think about,” Odenkirk replied. “I think I like it, but I was pretty wiped out when I read it in the middle of the night. I think it’s a challenging way to go, to finish the series. It’s not flashy. It’s substantial, and on some level it’s things I hoped for, for years, in this character’s brain. On the other hand, yeah, I have to read it again. But what I like about it is, it’s not cheap. It’s not easy. It doesn’t feel cartoonish. It’s pretty great, I think. It’s pretty great.”

He added: “I would wanna end with this kind of character-development focus. That’s what it’s about, instead of something that just has guns in it. I guess there’s a few guns, but they’re not like in other episodes.” He turned to me, explaining: “I spend a fair amount of time doing crimes this season. Just stupid crimes.”

Also, writer/producer Tom Schnauz seems to have confirmed the 4/18 premiere date theory.