BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I just watched this... It's fucking great! The cast members they got to be in it is >chef's kiss<

The way it ends I think there'll me more, maybe one during the mid season break, and then one more after the finale. 

Yeah, that was awesome! Got me way more amped than any trailer ever will, and didn't spoil a thing!

My favourite part was the 

Spoiler

reappearance of the Kettleman's, who still feel "victimised". I see Craig has finished his prison sentence. :D

The way she kept cutting him off and forcing her opinion on him was hilarious and perfect

New 30 second teaser

It's just a bunch of random images/shots, no plot information

So has anyone else been making their own Better Call Saul compilations?

This is mine so far - it will be bittersweet completing it later in the year.

Better Call Saul.jpg

01. Better Call Saul Junior Brown
02. Better Call Saul Main Title Theme (Extended) Little Barrie
03. Address Unknown The Ink Spots & Ella Fitzgerald
04. Milestones Shook
05. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams Juan García Esquivel
06. Unsquare Dance Dave Brubeck
07. The Third Man (The Harry Lime Theme) Malcolm Lockyer & His Concert Orchestra
08. Tune Down Chris Joss
09. Season Of The Witch Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper & Steve Stills
10. Banzai Pipeline Henry Mancini & His Orchestra
11. Funny (How Time Slips Away) Billy Walker
12. A Mi Manera Gipsy Kings
13. Scorpio Dennis Coffey
14. Border Crossing Dave Porter
15. Why Don't You Do It Little Barrie
16. Sugar Town Nancy Sinatra
17. Hurry Sundown Little Richard
18. Alfonso Muskedunder Todd Terje
19. Popcorn Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
20. Dark Clouds Rain Soul (Dub Version) Breakestra
21. Grazing In The Grass The Ventures
22. Mambo De Machaguay Lucho Neves Y Su Orquesta
23. Burnin' Coal Les McCann
24. Welcome To My World Jim Reeves
25. The Sidewinder Lee Morgan
26. Laventille Road March Bacao Rhythm & Steel Band
27. diskhat1 Aphex Twin
28. Blackbird Special Stanton Moore
29. Slinky Boots Speedometer
30. Borombon Camilo Azuquita
31. I Got The... Labi Siffre
32. Better Call Saul End Credits Dave Porter

On 27/03/2022 at 4:01 PM, Jay said:

"Ozymandias" takes place in March, 2010.  Right after that goes down, Ed "the Disappearer" sends Walt to New Hampshire and Saul to Omaha.

~

Walt lives in isolation in New Hampshire from March until September, when he returns to New Mexico and dies on his 52nd birthday, September 7th, 2010.

El Camino follows Jesse from right after that until he makes it safe to Alaska on September 13th, 2010.

Those dates don't make sense, though, since it's shown to be the dead of winter when Walt decides to leave New Hampshire.  Even if he's in the extreme northern part of the state, it wouldn't be anywhere near that cold and snow-covered in late August/early September.  (Unless of course it was an oversight on the part of the creators.)  Same thing with Jesse in Alaska at the end of El Camino; he's near Haines, Alaska, which is on the panhandle part of the state; at the end of the summer, there would not be any snow anywhere in sight.

I figured it was an oversight or simple dramatic license.  It does make some sense, to show the difference between there and the deserts of New Mexico.

BB commits to a hard 2 year passage of time for all its events, since he turns 50 in the pilot (Skyler making him a 50 out of turkey bacon), and turns 52 just before he dies in the last episode (he makes himself a 52 out of real bacon on the way back to Albuquerque). 

If they hadn't shown his September 7th birthday on his license, they probably could have gotten away with not being stuck to any particular months within those two years.  But since they've did, they've conformed everything else that happens around that date, including American Greed saying Jimmy disappeared in March 2010.

I've lost all interest in this season. My biggest problem is that there's absolutely no stakes as we just need to arrive at the moment both Mike and Saul are ready for BB. Add to that the fact that I found Saul's plotline extremely muddy in BB and general fatigue with the whole story after watching BB in less than a year...

You aren't interested in the resolution of Kim, Howard, Lalo or "Gene"?

I'm up to Say My Name in BB (Mike's last episode) and while his death is sad, the scene where he has to walk away from Kaylee at the park hits far harder now that in BCS she's had more than just a few token appearances. Fuck Walt.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

My biggest problem is that there's absolutely no stakes as we just need to arrive at the moment both Mike and Saul are ready for BB.

I disagree. The writers have done an incredible job evading this exact issue by introducing so many non-BB characters and storylines throughout BCS.

We really only know how things end for Gus and Mike. Jimmy's ultimate fate is unknown, not to mention Kim, Howard, Nacho, Lalo...

Knowing that Jimmy ultimately succumbs to Saul doesn't make the series any less compelling to me. It's no different to the way Gilligan explained Walter White's character arc before Breaking Bad ended, with the Mr. Chips/Scarface analogy.

Leaked footage from Season 6 reveals a subplot in which Mike Ehrmantraut attempts to extricate himself from Gus Fring's organisation in order to pursue a career teaching quantum mechanics at Stanford:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I've lost all interest in this season. My biggest problem is that there's absolutely no stakes as we just need to arrive at the moment both Mike and Saul are ready for BB. Add to that the fact that I found Saul's plotline extremely muddy in BB and general fatigue with the whole story after watching BB in less than a year...

You mentioned two characters out of the 7 the show follows. How can you not care what happens to Kim, Nacho, Howard, and Lalo? 

I think Kim is one of the most interesting characters on TV, and Rhea Seehorn is amazing in the role. Nacho has been given a sad story with his father, and him wanting to get out of the crime world. Lalo was almost killed in Mexico and his quest for revenge will be cool to see. And of course, how can you not care about the resolution to Cinnabon Gene's story? 

I find Kim (actress) rather annoying and I don’t really see why her eventual separation from Saul is important since Saul becomes just a side character and she’s never referenced in BB. Nacho, sure, and Howard, sure. Lalo might be entertaining to watch too, but I forget who Gene was. I guess my biggest problem is that I never got invested in Saul. I found Chuck much more compelling and never had any interest in finding out what made Saul the man he was.

Gene is the alias Jimmy/Saul is using in Omaha as a Cinnabon manager. When we last saw him a cab driver recognized him and got him to say "Better call Saul!" for him. He then called Ed the Disappearer to be relocated, only to suddenly change his mind and say he'd take care of it himself. 

I can't wait to see what that means, and how his story resolves, and if Kim is still his wife or even still alive in that timeline. 

I'd say that the main character of Better Call Saul is the Jimmy/Kim relationship. That we have some but tantalisingly little knowledge about its future is the factor with the greatest potential to draw the viewer in.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

...since Saul becomes just a side character...

A side character in Breaking Bad, but this isn't Breaking Bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if some characters from earlier seasons reappear in season 6, a bit like the Gray Matter characters at the end of Breaking Bad.

The Kettlemans or people related to Sandpiper, maybe.

There's quite a few other setups throughout the series that haven't paid off yet, either.

I'm sure Jimmy will be presented with yet another opportunity to make good money the right way and live a comfortable life, and will again choose to go the bad way

On 05/04/2022 at 10:26 AM, Anthony said:

Her face is still as punchable as it always was.

The actress is in the show Preacher and essentially plays a very similar character in a lot of ways.  Very punchable face with many wanting to kill her throughout.  Her character is introduced in the second season for those interested.

One review tagline I saw said:

"Inventing tantalizing new mysteries right as the end begins? Only the best artists pull a con like that."

Yet that's exactly what they did with Breaking Bad's final season with Walt in the diner picking up the M60.

Well that's something they shouldn't have revealed IMO. They even put it on their social media, sheesh.

Spoiler

Oh well

I don't wanna bail but if spoilers are going to be posted (even in spoiler tags) I'm going to get nervous they will start getting talked about outside of spoiler tags.

Just got spoiled elsewhere. For fucks sake.

I would like to think that if they shared it officially, then it's not integral or a big deal. Vince has said in the past that they don't want to keep teasing people with "You'll have to watch and see..." answers, only to disappoint folks by not following thorough.

You know, like the Hank & Gomie appearance in season 5 - wasn't it for like 1 episode and almost inconsequential?

Hank and Gomie were in two episodes of season 5 and had a pretty decent role in those 2 episodes.

I didn't know before that after that first teaser with the cousins that had the D and R crime scene letters that fans guessed was a reference to 4/18, they released this Gus teaser with 418 on his house:

And then this cool Gene teaser that I somehow never knew about until now

Is that just a theory or was that ever confirmed?

Another great callback (callforward?) in BB episode Buried - Walt goes to Saul's office and explains that he and Hank have confronted eachother. Walt can't get hold of Skyler by phone. Saul questions why Walt has still got his battery in his phone and suggests he remove it so the DEA can't try and triangulate his position. Saul says he's not being paranoid. A nice reference to Saul's expeirence at CC mobile selling "privacy".

I've always wondered about that little inconsistency! I feel like the original intent was to have Gus as a family man but then they discarded it later down the track but left it vague intentionally (that's how you write without a plan, take note Disney). Many (including the actor) speculate that Gus had an intimate relationship with Max, his close associate murdered by Hector. The extent of Gus' vengeance against the Salamanca family supports this in my opinion, but it's open to interpretation, and even then it doesn't mean he still didn't get married and have kids down the track. I like the theory that the family dinner was all a manipulation on Gus' part. It's definitely something he'd do, and makes his threats of killing Walt's family all the more chilling.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Counterpoint: He pretended he had a family/kids to manipulate Walter

IMO if he'd even be less cold, calculating and unemotional besides his revenge drive and pretending for people not in the game, he'd know better than to put loved ones in such immense danger.

I always thought it was interesting that Hektor became the only person he could really open up to and talk to.

On 10/04/2022 at 9:29 PM, Jay said:

Counterpoint: He pretended he had a family/kids to manipulate Walter

This seems a bit of a stretch, even for Gus. I'm going to chalk this up to a (currently, at least) unresolved plothole - we know they are making things up as they go along. And Walt's dinner with Gus was way back in season 3 if I remember correctly.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I just want to know what happened in Santiago with Gus.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get an explanation for this given it's been mentioned at least twice in BCS and once in BB.

It's a Schrödinger's cat scenario.  It's literally equally possible that he never marries or has kids and set all that up to trick Walter, as it is that he eventually marries and has kids after the point we are now in BCS, before the time of that scene in BB.  There's no way to know until we get there.

Spoiler

As for Cranston & co. returning -- one just has to throw everything about appearances out of the window. Even adult people change considerably over 14 years (I certainly look nothing like I did in 2008), and there's only so much you can do with make-up or CGI to make them look younger and still belieavable. Heck, even within BCS itself, there are weird discrepancies, as everyone looks almost exactly the same in the mail room flashback scenes as they do in the present, even though they are supposedly many years apart. At this point, there will be a WILD discrepancy between how Saul ends up in BSC and how he first appears in BB, from wrinkles to weight and everything inbetween. But the weirder transition is perhaps the big leap in personality to the rather quirky, happy-go-lucky guy that first appears in BB.

We've all talked about this before, but wanted to mention it again now with the casting news.

For every spoiler tag now posted, I'll be wondering "Do I already know the spoiler?" in which case I don't care, or "is it something I don't know about?", in which case I definitely don't want to see it. 

Sorry about that. Missed the whole shebang about this particular news earlier, as I skim most threads. So it wasn't about "not showing respect" or anything, just an oversight. Anyways, spoiler tag is fine.

As much as I would love to have re-watched everything, I've left it way too late. So I'm just re-watching Season 5 to re-cap. Three episodes in and I'm simply reminded just how brilliant this show is.

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS.

I'm wondering, even though I finished rewatching BCS back in February, whether my rewatching of BB afterwards will help or hinder my perception (and memory) of things.

I've got 2 episodes and El Camino left, and BCS is back in 5 days. I might try and get in the last couple of BCS episodes again as well just to get back in the mood. Is it going to feel tonally different going straight from BB into the final season of BCS? I can't remember what BCS "feels" like now! (Again, my perception may currently be distorted by the physical discomfort I feel after watching such a punishing episode as Ozymandias.)

Watched To'hajiilee and Ozymandias tonight back-to-back. (Speaking of which, isn't Bryan Cranston's voiceover in this trailer just goosebump-inducing? The way he makes the line "My name is Ozymandias..." seem to last forever in that deep voice is fantastic!)

The teaser for Quite A Ride with Saul and Francesa shredding documents and Saul trashing the office presumably takes places sometime during these episodes. 

Now I always assumed (remembered?) that Saul was getting out of dodge because things had gone to shit with Walt. But actually, in To'hajilee,Saul goes to the carwash, tells Walt that Huell has disappeared and he is frightened for his life. Walt notices that Saul is wearing a bulletproof vest and tries to calm him down, saying that it's not possible that Jesse is conducting a killing spree. 

So Saul's actually running from Jesse's wrath, even though he's not a target.

This might be covered in Granite State when Saul and Walt meet at the safehouse with the disapearerer, but I'm surprised Saul actually goes into hiding in the first place for a completely different reason to what I remmbered.