BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

He uhh... returns to Coushatta, Louisiana and retires amidst his adoring neighbours like the hero he is.

Saul's conversation with the DA where he's pretending to be the Church pastor has gotta one of the funniest moments in the show.

Up there with convincing the school teachers he's shooting a documentary about Rupert Holmes.

Although I'm rewatching it and it still seems fresh, Breaking Bad finished 9 years ago! (And I watched the final season "live" too.)

I don't think I fell in love with Better Call Saul quite as much until watching seasons 4 & 5 during the first pandemic lockdown. In fact, I remember only getting about half way through season 3 when it came out before getting distracted with other things. The pandemic got me back into it. (I remeber reading a spoiler that Chuck died. I was annoyed about finding that out.)

But in my head, even season 5 of Saul seems like such a long time ago that I don't think I've quite accepted that we've still got 13 episodes left to spend in this world!

I haven't felt as excited (or anxious) about any season of BB or BCS as I do for this. I'm not a Star Wars fan (other than the music), but I hope this isn't a Phantom Menace situation. I imagine it's similar to what fans felt when it was finally about to return.

I've not really had expectations for this before, but I certainly do here. The guys that make this have never faltered before, so I have the confidence they'll deliver.

Edit: Wikipedia has been updated and now says that not only (again) that Rhea Seehorn has directed an episode, but so has Giancarlo Esposito!

I've said it before but Better Call Saul lost its hook for me after Chuck was written out and the key dynamic between him and Jimmy was lost. Mike's arc holds no interest for me whatsoever, not anymore; I initially mostly enjoyed his portion of the show, but I grew bored with his grumpy thug with a heart subplot even prior to the most recent season. I'm still yet to watch the final episode of the last season, bored with it that I'd become. It's been years. 

I'll of course have to make an effort with the finale, but only really because it'll all have been a big waste of time if I don't. 

Better Call Saul's quality and consistency were a match for Breaking Bad for three of its seasons. But in the end, the latter is still the unwaveringly brilliant (and funner) older sibling. 

While my appreciation for him has grown over time, I originally tired of Chuck very quickly. Even in the first episode, any scene with him just removed any sense of pace or movement. (And I normally enjoy the slow nature of the show.)

Seasons 4 and 5 - once Chuck is gone - are actually my favourite. The stuff with Lalo and the Germans constructing the superlab are fantastic. Just like BB, I think it gets better the more it goes on.

I occasionally think "Which is better? BB or BCS?". Then of course I realise it doesn't actually matter. BCS tries to be and IS a very different thing to BB, even though it contains many of the same characters, not to mention it's hurtling towards the BB story. Yet it still feels different! I wonder by how much that gap will close in the final 13.

Edit: I can't wait to watch El Camino again. I've only seen that once and I remember actually being quite bored. However, that was after a 6 year gap of NOT watching BB, so I wonder how much was lost on me. I know Jesse ends up going to Alaska, but I can't remember what he actually does in the movie. I just remember flashbacks with Todd.

I'm rewatching BCS again and into season 2 now. It has some of the best written characters, even the smaller characters. More so than BB, I think. Both are terrific in their own rights. 

The highs in BB are higher, but beyond that pound-for-pound I think they are both equals. 

I agree. I don't think the same intensity that BB has would necessarily fit or is even necessary in BCS. BB could often be quite a "cruel" show. BCS isn't a comedy, but it's easier to stomach.

BCS also knows it's style from the first frame. BB takes until the fourth episode to really "feel" like BB.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

BB takes until the fourth episode to really "feel" like BB.

That's so funny you say that because that was exactly my experience.

When the show came out  I watched the 3 episodes and didn't like it!  I moved on to other things.  Sometime between seasons 3 and 4 I think it was, the buzz was incredibly high, so I gave it another shot and rewatched the first three episodes, and this time kept going and obviously loved it.  Watching 4, 5a, 5b, and each of BCS's seasons live has been the best TV experience of my adult life by far

I love this new poster! I'm gonna make that my album cover. I wonder if they have more planned for the next 4 days.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

4cslbiap7bt81.jpg

15 hours ago, Jay said:

That's so funny you say that because that was exactly my experience.

When the show came out  I watched the 3 episodes and didn't like it!  I moved on to other things.  Sometime between seasons 3 and 4 I think it was, the buzz was incredibly high, so I gave it another shot and rewatched the first three episodes, and this time kept going and obviously loved it.  Watching 4, 5a, 5b, and each of BCS's seasons live has been the best TV experience of my adult life by far

I didn't even know BB existed until season 5a had finished. Someone recommended it to me and I remember it taking 3 attemps before I got all the way through the pilot. I don't think it was until I got to Crazy Handful of Nothin' until I was truly hooked.

I then got all the way through season 4 and then stopped. Because I didn't want to get through 5a and have to wait for 5b, I worked out (literally had a spreadsheet!) when I and a small group of friends could get together and watch 2 episodes every week and seamlessly link-up with the release of 5b. Those we 8 EXCELLENT weeks. (I still remember feeling physically sick after the To'hajilee/Ozymandias week. It's not quite the same on rewatch, but they are still two very uncomfortable episodes to watch.)

But on rewatch, what I specifically mean about season 1 is, the show is literally finding it's style for the first 3 episodes. The pilot is the only episode ever to have a "Three weeks earlier..." message for a time jump. The editing "rules" they have later on aren't in place - scenes don't immediately cut to black for example, rather they fade out. The pace is VERY slow. Slower than usual. Things just feel a little off. Dated perhaps? It feels like it's from a different era of TV. Well, it feels like mid-2000's TV, which is exactly what it was. But then it transforms into something else.

Something happens, and in episode 4, everything we now take for granted with the BB and BCS style is there. It feels familiar again, rather than seeing all of the same characters but as if they're in a different show.

FQT17-oVgBIWFA3?format=jpg&name=medium

Someone's watching Gus... (wrong answers only)

And GIancarlo's "script preview" is perhaps the best. "It's no secret that [bleeeeeep]."

BB question: Jack's gang seal $70m from Walt. So why do they continue cooking meth? (Or getting Jesse to at least). Honoring their business deal? (These guys don't have honor). Is Todd just obsessed with Lydia so much that he wants to make her happy and perfect the cook? Why do they need more money?

I made it!

bcs.png

9 hours ago, Anthony said:

I wonder if they have more planned for the next 4 days.

I hope so, these are fun!

I worked out (literally had a spreadsheet!) when I and a small group of friends could get together and watch 2 episodes every week and seamlessly link-up with the release of 5b. Those we 8 EXCELLENT weeks. (I still remember feeling physically sick after the To'hajilee/Ozymandias week. It's not quite the same on rewatch, but they are still two very uncomfortable episodes to watch.)

We did something similar, had two friends come over and watch 5B with us.  But they only came over every-other Monday, so together we watched 509 and 510, waited two weeks watched 511 and 512, etc.  It was fun to watch together, but only doing it every other week instead of every week was brutal.  IIRC I cheated and secretly watch the season B premiere and Granite State early :p

But on rewatch, what I specifically mean about season 1 is, the show is literally finding it's style for the first 3 episodes. The pilot is the only episode ever to have a "Three weeks earlier..." message for a time jump. The editing "rules" they have later on aren't in place - scenes don't immediately cut to black for example, rather they fade out. The pace is VERY slow. Slower than usual. Things just feel a little off. Dated perhaps? It feels like it's from a different era of TV. Well, it feels like mid-2000's TV, which is exactly what it was. But then it transforms into something else.

Yea exactly.  I was just turned off by those first 3 episodes.  I have no problem with violence or anything, had already been watching Sopranos and The Shield and whatever else at this point.  But it was more that after a fun pilot, the next two episode felt like they really dragged out everything with Walt having to decide to kill the guy in the basement and stuff.  So I gave up.  When I came back years later I don't think I liked those initals 3 episodes any more than I had the first time, but the buzz about how good the show was overall was so high I had no problem keeping going

Someone's watching Gus... (wrong answers only)

How the turn tables...

And GIancarlo's "script preview" is perhaps the best. "It's no secret that [bleeeeeep]."

Haha!

BB question: Jack's gang seal $70m from Walt. So why do they continue cooking meth? (Or getting Jesse to at least). Honoring their business deal? (These guys don't have honor). Is Todd just obsessed with Lydia so much that he wants to make her happy and perfect the cook? Why do they need more money?

I don't remember.

I've just realised - on the tie and sock poster I used for the album cover, there are 3 hands.

Also, that plot/logic I thought I found with Jack Welker's gang (why cook meth when they have $70m of Walt's money?): not a plot hole. In Granite State, Jack poses this exact question to Todd. Todd replies saying they have so much methylamine that they could make hundreds of million dollars more, so why stop? Jack accepts this, but also sees through it and that Todd has a thing for Lydia and is trying to impress her. Hilariously, he thinks Todd could do better.

Why did I doubt the writers?

It's also great to see Jimmy rather than Saul in that episode at the vaccum repair store.

And perhaps the funniest line of the episode: "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Two copies."

Just a reminder about our spoiler policy here

Once the season begins airing, as soon as each new episode is out, please talk about that episode without any spoiler blocks at all - those just get in the way of good conversation flow.  Everyone here is responsible enough to know that if they haven't seen the latest episode yet, to not open the thread until they do (if they care about being spoiled).

The exception is if you watch the "next time on" previews; If you do, and want to talk about what's in those, please put that commentary in spoiler blocks, because not everybody watches them.

Likewise, if you are speculating about what might happen in the future, there's no need for spoiler blocks.... unless you use what you've seen in the "next time on" previews to inform your speculation, in which case you should use a spoiler-block.

In other news, apparently the season premiere is already available if you have AMC+ on a Roku device.... which is EXACTLY what we have!  So I might watch the premiere this afternoon!

Whether I watch the premiere this afternoon or tonight, I'm doing going to save episode 2 for later in the week, to spread out the enjoyment.  Anyone else doing the same?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Whether I watch the premiere this afternoon or tonight, I'm doing going to save episode 2 for later in the week, to spread out the enjoyment.  Anyone else doing the same?

Yep, I'm doing the same! Will watch the first ep tomorrow night and the second ep on Friday, to help bridge the gap before episode 3.

Don't see the point in watching two episodes back to back when there's only 13 remaining! :(

49 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't see the point in watching two episodes back to back when there's only 13 remaining! :(

Exactly! 

Also I just fures up the AMC+ app on my Roku and the season premiere isn't there after all. Oh well. Tonight it is. 

It won't be on Netflix until tomorrow here. I'll probably watch the first ep tomorrow evening, but likely leave the second until later in the week. 1-a-week is going to take some getting used to after my 1-a-night which I'm accustomed with!

Because of that, it would be courteous if people started their posts with "spoilers for ep 1/2/both" for this week. I don't want to avoid all discussion, but obviously if I've only seen 1, I want to avoid spoilers for 2. After next week it won't be an issue, as I'll simply ignore the thread until I've seen the episode.

Edit: just seen this and this is exactly my plan too!

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, I'm doing the same! Will watch the first ep tomorrow night and the second ep on Friday, to help bridge the gap before episode 3.

Notes on episode 6.01 only.

Not gonna read any other comments until I've watched episode 2, which I'll attempt to tomorrow night.

- I thought they'd do something different to the usual B&W intro and that was the case! A fifth Cinnabon intro would have been a bit repetitive. Loved that it still started in B&W with the ties gradually bringing all the colour back in. We thought that would happen, but not in this way! Wonder if the same thing will happen in the Gene timeline eventually. Also, I wonder when we'll next see Gene again?

- Great needle drop here. Turns out this song is called "Wine And Roses", hence the episode name.

- Love the cardboard Saul being thrown in the dumpster. Wasn't it fished out of a swimming pool? Knocked in in a hurry to leave perhaps?

- There were a bunch of references to previous episodes in this scene - I didn't catch them all, but the more obvious ones were the running shoes, the Panasonic hat, and (obviously) the Zafiro Anejo bottle cap. Apparently the Richie Blackmore guitar, a painting from Kim's apartment and the horse photo that was used for the Mesa Vede logo were also in this scene.

- I guess we are supposed to assume that is Saul's house during the time of BB and that everything is now being impounded. My guess is this is presumably happening during the time of Granite State. Kinda crazy when I realised we'd of course never seen Saul's house before in the BB timeline.

-  Sylvia and Mateo. Questions, questions. Who are (were) they?

- I was surprised the footage of the cousins in the release date teaser was actually part of the episode.

- Also cool to hear their "theme" again in the close-up of the ant, though it started before they showed up so it was a bit of a giveaway if you knew the music.

- I didn't initially understand this, but Mateo was the burned body the Cousins thought was Lalo. I initially assumed the burned body was just another relative, and that Bolsa told Gus that Lalo had been killed based on the report from the (dead) mercenary. But that mercenary would have reported it to a middleman working for Gus (Tyrus perhaps), so everyone really DOES think Lalo is dead. Bolsa isn't pretending. Although Gus has his suspicions otherwise...

- I like Mike is disagreeing with Gus about what to do with Nacho. He doesn't want things to go the same way as Werner.

- Loved Jimmy's slip of the tongue with Khalil and Tim Roberts where he said Lalo's name by accident. And Jimmy knew he fucked up.

- El Camino diner - cute referece. (Side note - watched El Camino again on Sunday...it really isn't that good. Not enough plot - lots of Jesse slowly sneaking into places. The flashbacks are the best parts, but they don't really add anything noteworthy. The best scenes are the ones at the vaccum shop with Ed and with Walt in the diner...but they feel more like deleted scenes or DVD extras. The antagonists are the welding company are just cookie-cutter plot-point characters. It really isn't up to the same standard as BB or BCS.)

- So Kim is the inspiration for the "cathedral of justice" and Saul's car...

- The camera angles on the marble run were fantastic!

- For the entire build-up in the golf course scene I thought they were acting out the "make Howard lose his hair" plan they discussed in Bad Choice Road

- Jimmy's exchange with Kevin and his whole anti-Semitic discrimination rant was the funniest part of the episode. Did he expect that to happen (after all, it got him into the locker room) or was that just quick thinking on Jimmy's part? The latter I think.

- Other than "Border Crossing" and the extended end titles, the BCS score is effective but not something I want to listen to outside of the show. The needle drops make up the best musical moments. However, I really liked the music as Jimmy is sneaking around the country club and hope this gets onto an album one day.

- Jimmy stripping down to hide from Howard was hilarious and quite clever.

- Hay trucks always seem to foreshadow bad things in this universe.

- The scene with Hector was cool. I didn't see Mark Margolis listed in the credits so I guess this was intended to be a surprise. Gus and the Cousins were in the billing so I knew they were coming.

- Not sure what Lalo believes his proof is...Nacho?

Overall, great. Solid 8/10. Biggest surprise was probably the teaser. Everything else was as good as could have been expected.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

- Not sure what Lalo believes his proof is...

Nacho I believe. That’s why the cousins want him alive.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Yes, you're right. I forgot that's what Bolsa told Gus. Makes sense.

My biggest question remains, "What happens to Kim?".

The fact one of the paintings from her apartment was in Saul's (their?) house suggests that perhaps they do succeed in getting the Sandpiper money. In Bad Choice Road, they're discussing what they'd do with the money - Kim would set up own practice to do good, while Jimmy says "...I was thinking buy a house". Well, he certainly got a house!

Then I wondered if this shot was perhaps forshadowing? Jimmy ends up hiding in the shadows, while Kim ends up behind bars?

image.png

Interesting things from the 6.01 podcast:

• They spent a YEAR writing this series, and did it ALL over Zoom!

• Like the final season of Breaking Bad, it was the hardest for them to figure out.

• As well as the teaser being full of easter eggs, it’s also full of “preaster” eggs - things that will stand out more once we’ve seen the rest of the season.

• One of the things that enabled this was the teaser was shot some time later in the series.

• The opening shot of the ties was ALL practical. I thought it probably would be but it almost looked too good to be real, but this wasn’t the case! They built two conveyor belts that flung all the ties over one another into a white box, and they ordered them so a bunch of black and white ties were first with the colourful ones coming in gradually.

• This was so convincing at the time I didn’t even question it, but the Zafiro Anejo bottle cap was a visual effect. Of course it had to be - it would be near impossible to get that shot where it falls out of the cabinet, hits the truck, then falls to the right spot on the ground. 

• The cardboard cutout of Saul was made using a photo Peter Gould took during season 3 of Breaking Bad.

• Peter Gould wrote Mateo as a guy who was hired by Lalo to be a double. This puts the whole “How are his teeth?” conversation with Sylvia into context. I like Vince Gilligan’s interpretation even better - that Mateo is an “unknowing double” who Lalo probably hired to work on the ranch.

• The original locker room scene idea was for Jimmy to hide in on on top of a locker, but when they found the location and realised there was nowhere to hide, the director came up with the stripping idea.

• The hay bail truck was indeed supposed to be the exact same one the Cousins rode in in season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Better Call Saul 6x01 Wine and Roses

Overall I'd say I was whelmed by this episode.  It wasn't supremely exciting, but didn't tread any water either - every storyline moved along nicely.  It just wasn't very splashy I guess.  There were 2 instances of head-scratching plotting though, I wonder if you all agree or not.

The cold open was such an evil bait-and-switch!  After 5 seasons of black & white Gene cold opens, when this one started with a B&W shot of Saul's ties, I thought for sure we were seeing him returning to his Saul persona, since the last Gene segment ended with him deciding to take care of the cab driver.  As it transitioned to color, I was like yes, finally the Gene scenes will be in color.  Then as it was revealed to not be a Gene scene, but a glimpse into his home being raided after him and Walter go into hiding, I couldn't help but be disappointed.  it's a nice enough scene, and I'm sure on a rewatch I won't mind it as much when I'll know the Gene resolution is coming later, but for now it felt like a kick in the crotch.  Or maybe more of a Lucy pulling the football feeling, than an "oh, aren't they clever for tricking me" feeling.  I guess the positive spin is that the anticipation of the Gene resolution will only grow week to week now!

Anyway, I honestly wasn't sure for a while as the scene went on that we were in fact seeing Saul's house, just because it seemed SO over the top opulent.  It didn't seem to match what I remembered of his character from Breaking Bad, which of course I haven't seen since it aired so maybe I'm just not remembering.  So, did anyone else think his house here didn't jive with how he presented himself in Breaking Bad, or am I totally off the mark and this is exactly right?

Main timeline, character by character

Nacho - I really enjoyed his brief set of "on the run" scenes.  There was great tension because you don't know if you can trust the voice on the other end of the phone or not - is he truly leading him to safety, or is it leading him to where they can kill him?  I was so sad for him that Mike didn't answer when Nacho called him - I wish we had gotten an insight into how Nacho felt about that.

Mike - I loved him again standing up for Nacho and asking Gus not to kill him... and also the way he quietly walked away without pushing it when Gus essentially implied he didn't care and would kill him anyway.  After the Nacho phone call, I am left wondering if he will try to help Nacho out without Gus finding out, or truly leaving it.  There's no world where he helps Nacho and Gus finds out, then lets Mike live, I don't think.

Lalo - OK sure, it was clever of him to find a guy that looked like him, get him to shave his facial hair the same way, then kill him and put his body at his mansion so the police, and the cousins, would think Lalo is dead.  Fine.  But honestly the timeline and practicality of pulling this off makes no sense.  It all happened too quick.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Then, the final beat of him calling Hector, that was great.  I loved the expression on Hector's face as he thought Lalo was dead, then found out he wasn't - and I loved that it is his idea for Lalo to go get proof that Gus was behind it, before going back to the USA and doing something brash.  I wonder if the "proof" he's thinking about is finding Nacho, or something else?

Kim - Her best day (professionally) ever is helping out a bunch of pro-bono cases?  OK, I guess, sure, why not.  I guess this is just shorthand to get us into the mindset she's in right now; She's seems to be utterly professionally and romantically at peace if above the board she can do pro-bono lawyer work completely on the up-and-up, while secret helping her husband scam Hamlin to get the Sandpiper money sooner than otherwise.  The sense of dread about what will eventually happen to her is already building....

Kim and Jimmy's scam - I loved the dinner scene and how they enabled each other, it was so well done.  You got Kim bringing it up, Jimmy (I'd say: honestly) asking "we're still doing that?" - which gives her an easy out to drop it forever.  Her saying yes, and him immediately letting her tell him her idea.  It's subtle, but it's completely co-dependent enabling of knowingly bad behavior, and they are both OK with it.  It's fun and plausible, and believable.

So, the scam itself was interesting.  I like not knowing their whole plan yet, but the first step seems to be planting baby powder that looks like cocaine on Howard in the locker room at a time they knew Clifford Main would see it.  That's fine, as is the improvisation Jimmy had to do when his original plan of getting into the locker room via a tour got ruined by Kevin Wachtell from Mesa Verde being there and recognizing him.  His on-the-feet thinking and improv that got him into the locker room was great!  But what felt like a writing flaw to me was when Clifford and Hamlin get a phone call and rush off the course - presumably because Kevin called them and told them Jimmy was there - and then do no IMMEDIATELY suspect Jimmy is behind the cocaine in the locker.  Am I missing something?  How would that not have been their immediately assumption?  Or are we supposed to think the phone call they got is a completely coincidence, unrelated to Jimmy being there?

I think that's it.  Can't wait to watch episode 2!

• I loved the teaser. Before I hit "play" I thought "I'm gonna be a little disappointed if it's another Gene scene." Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see more Gene, but it would have been too predictable.

• I liked that we were right about the colour fading in, but I like even more that the writers obviously also thought that was an obvious move, so got it out of the way within seconds AND did it for a completely different set of circumstances. I didn't feel tricked. I felt like "Aren't I clever? But not as clever as the writers room!"

• I also wasn't sure for a while whose house it was supposed to be. I like that everybody probably figured it out at different point based on how familiar they are with the items in the house. The house was very over the top - and, yes, I thought "this isn't what I thought it would be like", but we never saw Saul outside of the context of his office in BB.

• If they get all the Sandpiper money, wouldn't you spend it on a crazy-ass house? I'm surprised Kim buys into all of that however. Maybe things between them will come to an end and all this crazy stuff will act as a distraction for Saul? Perhaps he wants the exact opposite from his life before. Or is splashing out to make up for the time he lived in the back of the nail salon!

• I didn't know who the voice on the other end of the phone to Nacho was, but apparently is was Tyrus.

• Gus' "Is there anything else you wish to say?" line was badass.

• The Lalo body double thing - I buy all of it, except the time thing you mentioned. Lalo moved the body to his house and severely burned and disfigured it, without being seen, before any authorities arrived?

• I loved how Kim and Jimmy both had doubts about their scam at different points. Jimmy is unsure of it at the diner, while Kim gets a little nervous once Jimmy gets back in the car at the golf course.

• The phone call that Howard/Cliff received didn't draw any suspicions for me. You're right, that could well have been Kevin, and they'd be stupid to not immediately think something's going on when the "cocaine" turns up. However, it was ultimately one of those coincidences that made the situation more difficult for Jimmy, and in good writing, coincindences are okay provided they make things tougher for the characters!

• About to watch 6.02 now!

22 hours ago, Anthony said:

- I thought they'd do something different to the usual B&W intro and that was the case! A fifth Cinnabon intro would have been a bit repetitive. Loved that it still started in B&W with the ties gradually bringing all the colour back in. We thought that would happen, but not in this way! Wonder if the same thing will happen in the Gene timeline eventually. Also, I wonder when we'll next see Gene again?

Oh man, I wouldn't have found another Cinnabon scene repetitive at all.  And honestly, we might not even need to see the Cinnabon store in the next chapter of this story; He might just go home and prepare and go find that cab guy or whatever.  I dunno.  Actually, there was that teaser with him pulling down the wanted sign wearing his Gene uniform, wasn't there?  OK, scratch that.

- Great needle drop here. Turns out this song is called "Wine And Roses", hence the episode name.

The music fit the scene very well!

- Love the cardboard Saul being thrown in the dumpster. Wasn't it fished out of a swimming pool? Knocked in in a hurry to leave perhaps?

Yes it was floating in the pool, which made it seem a little implausible that it wasn't disintegrating at all from the chlorine....

- There were a bunch of references to previous episodes in this scene - I didn't catch them all, but the more obvious ones were the running shoes, the Panasonic hat, and (obviously) the Zafiro Anejo bottle cap. Apparently the Richie Blackmore guitar, a painting from Kim's apartment and the horse photo that was used for the Mesa Vede logo were also in this scene.

Wow all that went over my head apart from the tequila bottle top!  I cannot wait to be rewarded with all these things when I do a full rewatch of BB and BCS one day!

- I guess we are supposed to assume that is Saul's house during the time of BB and that everything is now being impounded. My guess is this is presumably happening during the time of Granite State. Kinda crazy when I realised we'd of course never seen Saul's house before in the BB timeline.

That's absolutely what and when this is without question, yea

-  Sylvia and Mateo. Questions, questions. Who are (were) they?

Friends of the cartel for sure.  I guess the only question is did Lalo purposely set up a home near his for someone that looked like him, or was it a total coincidence and quick-thinking on his part?

- I was surprised the footage of the cousins in the release date teaser was actually part of the episode.

Yea, I figured at least the evidence letters would be different.  Did they know when they filmed it it'd be premiering on April 18th?

- Also cool to hear their "theme" again in the close-up of the ant, though it started before they showed up so it was a bit of a giveaway if you knew the music.

That closeup of the ant and pull out was great, and something they can only do with their new digital cameras they didn't have when making BB.  I'm sure they'll talk about this in shot extensively in the podcast.

- I didn't initially understand this, but Mateo was the burned body the Cousins thought was Lalo. I initially assumed the burned body was just another relative, and that Bolsa told Gus that Lalo had been killed based on the report from the (dead) mercenary. But that mercenary would have reported it to a middleman working for Gus (Tyrus perhaps), so everyone really DOES think Lalo is dead. Bolsa isn't pretending. Although Gus has his suspicions otherwise...

Yup

- Loved Jimmy's slip of the tongue with Khalil and Tim Roberts where he said Lalo's name by accident. And Jimmy knew he fucked up.

Oh yea I forgot about that - that was a great wrinkle in that scene!  He's still not a perfect scammer yet!

- The camera angles on the marble run were fantastic!

Yea!

- Jimmy's exchange with Kevin and his whole anti-Semitic discrimination rant was the funniest part of the episode. Did he expect that to happen (after all, it got him into the locker room) or was that just quick thinking on Jimmy's part? The latter I think.

Absolutely the latter, without question.  Jimmy and Kim didn't stake out the place good enough to realize Kevin was there, him being there was not part of their plan

- Not sure what Lalo believes his proof is...Nacho?

I guess so.

21 hours ago, Alex said:

When did the cousins say this?

14 hours ago, Anthony said:

The fact one of the paintings from her apartment was in Saul's (their?) house suggests that perhaps they do succeed in getting the Sandpiper money. In Bad Choice Road, they're discussing what they'd do with the money - Kim would set up own practice to do good, while Jimmy says "...I was thinking buy a house". Well, he certainly got a house!

Huh, that's interesting to think he might be living there WITH Kim during the events of BB!  I guess she'd never take any of her friends home if that was the case, lol.  Then again... does she even have any friends!?

• I loved the teaser. Before I hit "play" I thought "I'm gonna be a little disappointed if it's another Gene scene." Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see more Gene, but it would have been too predictable.

One of the things I love most about both BB and BCS is how unpredictable it is, but for me personally getting a sixth Gene season opener would be the kind of "predictable" that is great in my book.

• I liked that we were right about the colour fading in, but I like even more that the writers obviously also thought that was an obvious move, so got it out of the way within seconds AND did it for a completely different set of circumstances. They "tricked" me while also making me feel validated, so I'm happy all 'round!

Yea, pretty much!

• I also wasn't sure for a while whose house it was supposed to be. I like that everybody probably figured it out at different point based on how familiar they are with the items in the house. The house was very over the top - and, yes, I thought "this isn't what I thought it would be like", but we never saw Saul outside of the context of his office in BB.

Yea, I guess we just only saw Saul during BB in scenes specifically relating to what Walt, Jesse, Gus, and Mike needed him for.  I have faith in G&G that as we get to the BB timeline, this opulent house will fit right in.

• Gus' "Is there anything else you wish to say?" line was badass.

Yes!

• The Lalo body double thing - I buy all of it, except the time thing you mentioned. Lalo moved the body to his house and severely burned and disfigured it, without being seen, before any authorities arrived?

Exactly!

• The phone call that Howard/Cliff received didn't draw any suspicions for me. You're right, that could well have been Kevin, and they'd be stupid to not immediately think something's going on when the "cocaine" turns up. However, it was ultimately one of those coincidences that made the situation more difficult for Jimmy, and in good writing, coincindences are okay provided they make things tougher for the characters!

I dunno.  If the phone call was Kevin telling them Jimmy was at the club, then Hamlin and Clifford are both STUPID for not suspecting that Jimmy planted the baby powder.  And until now they have NEVER been stupid characters!

If the phone call was completely unrelated, and they had no idea Jimmy was at the club that day, then yea, I guess everything is fine, and the coincidence of them getting a random call at that time can be overlooked completely.

It just felt to me like watching the episode, that the call was probably from Kevin about Jimmy being there.  But maybe it wasn't.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It just felt to me like watching the episode, that the call was probably from Kevin about Jimmy being there.  But maybe it wasn't.

I've figured it out! Mesa Verde are represented by Schweikart & Cokely. The last time Kevin and HHM were involved was when Chuck (Jimmy) messed up the addresses on the paperwork for their new branch. So Kevin hates HHM and would have no allegiance to Howard, and I don't think he's ever met Cliff. It must have beeen an unrelated call.

Notes on 6.02 Carrot And Stick

• It's a Vince and Tom Schnauz episode! Not sure we've had that combination before. I perhaps assumed that meant something particularly flashy would occur but this wasn't the case. I think my feelings toward this one were the same as Jay's to the first. There wasn't anything I disliked it, but it was a set-up rather than a pay-off episode.

• The teaser - great! Reminded me of Mike's introduction in BB when he cleans up after Jane's death. Knew he'd find Nacho and papa Nacho's fake Canadian IDs as soon as they started breaking into the safe. Liked how he took papa Nacho's ID to hide it from Bolsa and Gus. Liked that he continued to protect Nacho's dad later on. After all, he did reupholster Mike's car!

• Arthur (one of Mike's guys who was guarding the Germans in season 4) is back!

• I like that Gus is still suspicious about Lalo's apparant death. "How did the fire start?" reminded me of when he blew up his own restaurant with the chicken bomb!

• Cradock Marine Bank makes another appearance! This is the same bank where Mike's lawyer deposited the hazard pay to the guys in prison. It's appeared in BCS before too.

• The name "Joseph Prado" (written on the cheque Betsy produced) rang a bell. I had to Google it, but then I realised it was the name of a villain in season 4 of 24.

• Team Kettleman are back! I love to hate these insufferable assholes. Thought it was hilarious how hostile Betsy still was toward Saul yet Craig seemed pleased to see him.

• "Our kids are in PUBLIC schools!" :lol:

• After Besty turns down the letter of engagement, Jimmy offers it to Craig instead, whose first reaction is still to look at his wife for validation. :lol:

• "That awful woman with the ponytail is a cocaine addict!" :lol:

• Erin!

• "It will all get out...in discovery!" :lol:

• The meeting between Gus, Bolsa and Hector was interesting. I wasn't sure who really knew the most. As we're conditioned to, I had the impression Gus knew more than was letting on. But it turns out, even Gus wasn't entirely sure of the truth. Just like when Hector is about to blow up Gus in BB, he does what he otherwise never does - looks him in the eye. Except this time, it tips Gus off!

• Arthur protecting the chicken farm with a sniper rifle was reminiscent of Gaff in Breaking Bad, except he was attacking it.

• The gunfight with the cousins was pretty neat. Flashes of the one versus Hank. Nobody lost their legs this time though. :lol:

• I didn't think Nacho would get away. But he did. And he now knows Gus has sold him out.
  • How has everybody suddenly worked out that Nacho is a mole? Because he wasn't a body at Lalo's house?

• I do hope Mike gets to go on his mission across the border to rescue Nacho. You just know it would be badass.

• Mazel tov! Love that they keep messing around with people assuming Saul is Jewish. Bob Odenkirk even said "but I'm not Jewish" to Vince Gilligan when he offered him the role.

• Even Jimmy feels a little bad about Kim's threat to the Kettleman's. She's slowly becoming a monster!

• I guess this could be the last time we see the Kettleman's. They've served their purpose, planted seeds with Cliff, and have promised not to approach Howard. Except...how will Jimmy end up with their inflatable Lady Liberty? (Assuming it's the same one!)

• Jimmy's "wolves and sheep" line to Kim echoes what the con man that robbed his father's store said to young Jimmy.

• Now, who is following Kim and Jimmy? The only two candidates I can think of are Lalo or one of Gus' men. Lalo has no one else he can turn to. But Gus might also know that, and wants to make sure Lalo can't catch up with Jimmy.

9 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I've figured it out! Mesa Verde are represented by Schweikart & Cokely. The last time Kevin and HHM were involved was when Chuck (Jimmy) messed up the addresses on the paperwork for their new branch. So Kevin hates HHM and would have no allegiance to Howard, and I don't think he's ever met Cliff. It must have beeen an unrelated call.

That's a great point.  I knew that Kevin knew Hamlin, because HHM originally represented Mesa Verde before Kim got to take the case with her when she branched out on her own (thanks to Jimmy's meddling).  But I didn't put two and two together that Kevin would (of course!) have no loyalty to go to Howard whatsoever.

So the call is unrelated, and therefore Hamlin and Clifford wouldn't have a reason to suspect Jimmy was behind the cocaine bag.  Phew!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

When did the cousins say this?

I believe one of them says “Alive” when they ambush Nacho at the hotel. (After they shoot dead one of their own guys).

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

So the call is unrelated, and therefore Hamlin and Clifford wouldn't have a reason to suspect Jimmy was behind the cocaine bag.  Phew!

The thing I love about BB and BCS is that whenver we think "Aha, writers! You've fucked up!, every. single. time., it turns out we're wrong. Just like that whole think I had the other week about "Why does Jack's gang continue cooking meth after they have $70m of Walt's money?" and then they went and answered it perfectly in the next episode. I can then just move on and enjoy what I'm watching without any nagging thoughts.

Also in 6.02, I spotted the first of the "preaster" eggs - the Time Machine book which was shown in the 6.01 teaser was on Jimmy's bedside table when he got a call back from the Kettlemans.

I wonder what others there will be? The pink underwear and the hidden room with the bullet proof vest come to mind. I initially assumed this was Saul’s vest from when he meets Walt at the car wash for the final time before they both go into hiding.

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

I believe one of them says “Alive” when they ambush Nacho at the hotel. (After they shoot dead one of their own guys).

Thanks for the spoiler, I haven't seen episode 2 yet, which should have been obvious to you from my posts 

On 18/04/2022 at 4:00 PM, Jay said:

Just a reminder about our spoiler policy here

Once the season begins airing, as soon as each new episode is out, please talk about that episode without any spoiler blocks at all - those just get in the way of good conversation flow.  Everyone here is responsible enough to know that if they haven't seen the latest episode yet, to not open the thread until they do (if they care about being spoiled).

;)

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the spoiler, I haven't seen episode 2 yet, which should have been obvious to you from my posts 

Sorry, Jay. I just read the post in which you replied to me.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

That's a great point.  I knew that Kevin knew Hamlin, because HHM originally represented Mesa Verde before Kim got to take the case with her when she branched out on her own (thanks to Jimmy's meddling).  But I didn't put two and two together that Kevin would (of course!) have no loyalty to go to Howard whatsoever.

I've been thinking about this again, and opened up a new crack in Jimmy and Kim's plan. It was only a couple of days ago that Howard told Kim about the incident with the bowling balls and the prostitutes and that Jimmy clearly needs help.

Kim laughed it off, but it would be odd if Howard didn't put two and two together and assume the cocaine could have been planted by Jimmy as well.

Kim and Jimmy may have factored in that Howard will figure this out, so perhaps that's all part of the plan.

Other musings:

• I initally assumed that the 6.01 teaser and Saul's crazy house suggested they end up getting the Sandpiper money. However, Jay then raised the point that "Would Saul really buy a gold toilet and tiger skin bedding?". Perhaps not. But what if he didn't buy it. What if it was a gift from the cartel?

• Why is the Zafiro bottle cap stashed away in a cabinet? It signifies the bond between Kim and Jimmy, or more specifically, their scams as Viktor with a K and Gizelle. I can't imagine that Kim would want to live in a house like that so I'm guessing she wouldn't have put it there. Perhaps it's hidden away by Jimmy - trying to forget painful memories while not being able to let go of them entirely.

• Apparently the 6.03 trailer suggests who/who may not be following Kim and Jimmy, so I'm gonna avoid that so I can still theorise. When Lalo came to Kim's apartment, he realised Kim is probably an even better lawyer than Jimmy, so when he presumably does return to New Mexico, maybe he'll be after her for help instead. (Or more specifically, to "use" her.) However, I don't think it will be him in the car (and I can't imagine he's told anyone else other than Hector he is alive), so the only conclusion I can come to is it's someone working for Gus, or someone totally left-field.

39 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I initally assumed that the 6.01 teaser and Saul's crazy house suggested they end up getting the Sandpiper money. However, Jay then raised the point that "Would Saul really buy a gold toilet and tiger skin bedding?". Perhaps not. But what if he didn't buy it. What if it was a gift from the cartel?

I’m assuming most, if not all, of the gold plated stuff in Saul’s house was fake, sort of like the styrofoam columns in his law office.  As the cameras pull back, we see that despite the perceived opulence inside, he lives in a fairly regular-looking house.  We know from the very beginning that his whole life is a con.

Tonight is the first night since 27th December where I don't have either an episode of Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad to (re)watch. What do I do with my evening?!

Some more thoughts on episode 1

The cold open is affecting on a few more levels that I originally thought about.  That shot of the counter full of pills is more than just a viagra joke, it shows he is on multiple medications by the time of his downfall.  Probably brought on by the stress of being not only an associate of the cartel for many years, but an associate of Walter White for a year and a half as well.

Also, the various items continue to show us how Saul is a nostalgic person.  These items from his past could easily go away, but he purposely holds onto them.  This falls right in line with Gene making sure to smuggle tapes of his old commercials with him when Ed disappears him to Omaha.

And finally, what could arguable be the most important item, the tequila stopper from his first scam with Kim, is on the one they purposely show us rolling into the gutter, forgotten, not included with everything else.  Great stuff.

What do we think of that little scene where Kim throws away the "second best lawyer" cup?  My read on it at the time was simply that because it now had a bullet hole in it, that was evidence that could tie him to the cartel.  But could there be another subtext at play?

I'm so glad the BCS Insider podcast is back!  It's amazing how they didn't miss a beat and got right back into things so well, thought the slight delay of being through Zoom instead of in person is noticeable.    I've already forgotten most of the interesting facts I learned from it that I was gonna share here, but for sure, it was packed full of them - Anthony already shared a lot of the major ones, but there was other really cool info too.  It's a really good podcast.

On 21/04/2022 at 8:36 AM, Anthony said:

I've been thinking about this again, and opened up a new crack in Jimmy and Kim's plan. It was only a couple of days ago that Howard told Kim about the incident with the bowling balls and the prostitutes and that Jimmy clearly needs help.

Kim laughed it off, but it would be odd if Howard didn't put two and two together and assume the cocaine could have been planted by Jimmy as well.

Kim and Jimmy may have factored in that Howard will figure this out, so perhaps that's all part of the plan.

I think that's a possibility too.  I think their plan is several steps ahead of the audience right now.    One kinda wonky part was that baby powder has a distinct smell; Howard would have recognized it right away I would think?  But in the world of the show, clearly him and Clifford seemed to have thought it was actual cocaine.  I wonder if he kept it or threw it out?

Other musings:

• I initally assumed that the 6.01 teaser and Saul's crazy house suggested they end up getting the Sandpiper money. However, Jay then raised the point that "Would Saul really buy a gold toilet and tiger skin bedding?". Perhaps not. But what if he didn't buy it. What if it was a gift from the cartel?

Oh yea, Sandpiper money or not, Saul eventually becomes rich from his legal work keeping cartel guys out of jail or whatever else.  At least that was my assumption.  

At this point I think Kim wants the Sandpiper money more, to be able to keep doing pro-bono work only since she quit Schweikart and Cokely.

• Why is the Zafiro bottle cap stashed away in a cabinet? It signifies the bond between Kim and Jimmy, or more specifically, their scams as Viktor with a K and Gizelle. I can't imagine that Kim would want to live in a house like that so I'm guessing she wouldn't have put it there. Perhaps it's hidden away by Jimmy - trying to forget painful memories while not being able to let go of them entirely.

Possibly that, but also they just possibly wanted it to end up in the gutter to end the teaser so had to be in a drawer to end up falling and rolling there.

On 21/04/2022 at 3:31 AM, Anthony said:

Good interview with Peter Gould

Only contains spoilers for 601 and 602, and things that have already been publically announced.

Just read this (I've seen 602), and that was pretty good; Here's another one:

https://ew.com/tv/better-call-saul-creator-on-jimmy-kim-scheme-lalo-season-6-premiere/

6 hours ago, Jay said:

What do we think of that little scene where Kim throws away the "second best lawyer" cup?  My read on it at the time was simply that because it now had a bullet hole in it, that was evidence that could tie him to the cartel.  But could there be another subtext at play?

I forgot about this scene! Both the above. It's useless now. It's evidence. Symbolically, it could represent how he is/they are now more scammers than lawyers.

Exciting snippets from that interview:

Can you also say this is another indication that we'll spend a little more time in the Breaking Bad era this season as those timelines start to join up?

Yes. I think it's safe to say that, but it may not happen the way you expect — or when you'd expect.

And:

You'll see as the season goes on — it's not like there's any deep hidden meaning in the show — there are these couples who all made different choices about how to live, and you're going to see at least a trilogy of these couples who make an appearance, and the Kettlemans are some of our favorites.

Kim & Jimmy, the Kettles...who else I wonder?

Kim's facial expression changes when the Kettlemans talk about losing everything. She later tells them, "You think you lost everything, you have no idea." Her voice is wavering, as if she's the one who lost everything. Will there be more insights into that from her life before she met Jimmy, which we've seen very little of?

Ooh! Yes! When she said this I brushed it off as acting in front of the Kettles. I imagine this means we'll see more of young Kim and her mother saying they suddenly have to move on to a new place.

Any hints you want to drop about the proof that Lalo is off to find, after Hector tells him that he'll need it?

If fans watched the beginning of last season carefully, Lalo is making a bunch of phone calls and trying to understand what it is and Werner Ziegler [Rainer Bock] was building for Gustavo Fring. And that would be a definitely a vulnerability for the Fring organization. He needs some kind of proof that Gus is plotting against the cartel. Otherwise killing him while he's making big bucks for Don Eladio [Steven Bauer] is going to be a problem for the Salamanca family.

I suppose this could all lead back to Mike then? Lalo didn't seem to completely buy the fake construction going on at the chicken farm.

What's the word that you'd use to best describe what awaits viewers in episode 3?

Shattering. Don't watch it while you're standing on the subway. It's a banger. It's really something.

What a tease!

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

I forgot about this scene! Both the above. It's useless now. It's evidence. Symbolically, it could represent how he is/they are now more scammers than lawyers.

Good call!

Kim & Jimmy, the Kettles...who else I wonder?

New characters yet to be introduced I suppose, unless Hamlin has a wife that's going to be a major player, or Walt&Skyler are going to show up for a while or something

Ooh! Yes! When she said this I brushed it off as acting in front of the Kettles. I imagine this means we'll see more of young Kim and her mother saying they suddenly have to move on to a new place.

Oh man, I completely forgotten we had gotten Kim flashbacks!  More of that would be great!

I suppose this could all lead back to Mike then? Lalo didn't seem to completely buy the fake construction going on at the chicken farm.

Lalo and Hector's phone conversation made it clear that some form of proof that Gus hired the assassins that came to his home is in Mexico, not the US.  What possible evidence could exist in Mexico that proves this?  The only thing I can think of us Nacho.  I mean, it's either that or the dead bodies of the assassins and any equipment they might have on them - but Gus is careful, he always has a middle man or two in between him and the jobs.

Lalo re-pursuing Gus's construction job and the Werner Ziegler thing would all be US based.  I'm stumped.

Better Call Saul 6x02 Carrot and Stick

The cold open really threw me for a loop; I didn't remember what Nacho's house looked like, or his "girlfriends", so was wondering why the blackjack dealer from Hacks was high and playing with dominos :lol: Once Mike and the crew came in it was obvious what was going on.  I love how elaborate this scheme is, busting open his safe only to put everything back into a replica with only 1 new item added.  I do love that Mike was able to snag the fake ID Nacho had made for his father out without the other guys seeing it.

I am a bit confused, however, about the plan here: By leaving the phone number of the motel Nacho is hiding in, that leads the Salamancas right to him... but if they were to capture him alive and torture him for information, he could confirm that Gus was behind the hit.  So are we supposed to believe Gus took the risk that they would kill Nacho without asking him any questions?  Usually he's not that risky!

The Kettlemans are back!  Boy, were all their scenes this week terrific!  It was already a nice bonus to get them in that "American Greed" video, but this is even better!  All three of these scenes were so amusing and funny, super well done.

So phase 1 of Jimmy & Kim's plan is to make Clifford thing Howard had cocaine in his country club locker.  Phase 2 is for someone who had briefly been represented by Howard go to Clifford and say they think he's a coke head.  This all seems way too simple, not only for the show, but for how Jimmy had been shown as an expert scammer.  I suspect they are actually trying to get Howard to come after them as a result of these relatively minor pranks, and somehow hoping that what his retribution entails includes something they can work off of to really take him down.  Can't wait to see this plan unfold!

The Gus, Bolsa, and Hector scene was great.  All Hector had to do was play innocent, but he absolutely cannot keep himself from lording over Gus that he knows something Gus doesn't, and of course Gus is smart enough to immediately know what that is.  Both of these things are 100% in line with the characters as they've been portrayed until now, which is awesome

The long sequence with Nacho figuring out Gus has a guy watching him, then having to escape from the arriving Salamancas, was pretty good.  Pretty cold of one of the cousins to shoot on of their own hired hands dead because they were opening fire on Nacho in the truck, especially when later they opened fire on Nacho on the truck themselves.  I honestly had no idea if Nacho was going to make it out of there alive or not, but I'm glad he did.

The sequence where Mike again stands up for Nacho and tells Gus Nacho's father should not be involved was great, especially with the quickness that Tyrus pulled a gun on him.  You have to wonder what the hell would have happened next if Nacho didn't call just then, and also what Nacho and Gus said to each other since we didn't get to see it!  Aaah!

The final shot of a car following Jimmy and Kim away from the Kettlemans.... my first thought was cartel/Mike stuff, because that's what we're set up to think in this show.  But I think it absolutely has to be someone hired by Hamlin to follow Jimmy.  I think that Howard is already on to them, either immediately assuming the cocaine was planted by Jimmy, or he'd gotten wind that the Kettlemans were going around smearing his name... or both.

So excited to watch episode 3 tonight!

I only just got round to watching the first two episodes last night. It was great to be back in the universe and the transition from the previous season, despite the two year gap in production, is flawless. Really enjoyed both... you can just feel something simmering and I cannot wait to see this through to the end.

I can't really add much that @Jay and @Anthony haven't already forensically spotted (thanks for both your analyses guys, it makes for good reading), I'm just eagerly looking forward to the next one!

On 20/04/2022 at 5:27 PM, Anthony said:
  • I like that Gus is still suspicious about Lalo's apparant death. "How did the fire start?" reminded me of when he blew up his own restaurant with the chicken bomb!

Well, I think the fact that the hit was supposedly successful and yet his entire assassin squad all died is a huge red flag.  

• Team Kettleman are back! I love to hate these insufferable assholes. Thought it was hilarious how hostile Betsy still was toward Saul yet Craig seemed pleased to see him.

Man, all their scenes were so good, largely because of that dynamic you mentioned.  Betsy being so stubborn and diffusive of all things Jimmy, and Craig being the ultimate people pleaser.  I also liked that he never got to finish his coffee at Clifford and Main, a call back to him not getting a refill of coffee in season 1.  But yes, when he would have some kind of immediately expression then look at Betsy and immediately change his demeanor was hilarious every time.

• Erin!

yea it was great to see her again!!

• How has everybody suddenly worked out that Nacho is a mole? Because he wasn't a body at Lalo's house?

Yes, I think so, plus the fact that the assassins got access to the compound due to someone on the inside opening the back lock.

• Even Jimmy feels a little bad about Kim's threat to the Kettleman's. She's slowly becoming a monster!

That was sooo good.  Not only are we the viewer not sure what Kim is really capable of nor how bad she is going to break, Jimmy has no idea either.

• Jimmy's "wolves and sheep" line to Kim echoes what the con man that robbed his father's store said to young Jimmy.

That is a great callback, though admittedly one I didn't pick up on until I either read this post or heard it mentioned on a recap podcast (not sure what I did first).

I wish I had had time to rewatch the first 50 episodes of the show before this season, it must really enrich the experience to pick up on these things right away.

Again I am struggling to remember any of the interesting facts shared on the insider podcast for episode 2.  Oh, the trailer was in the middle of nowhere because it was too much of a hassle to have it somewhere more populated and have to deal with managing traffic.  They also said it was the same inflatable statue of liberty that had been used for Breaking Bad.  They also said the Kettlemans purposely set up their business near local casinos knowing it would be easier to scam people out of the full refunds they were entitled to.  This is makes it so much funnier they they keep playin the victim card, when they are among the biggest assholes in the show lol.

Another idle musing.  Back in episode 1 when Jimmy screwed up and accidentally said Lalo's name... I wonder if this is a clue the cops, or the DEA, will use to gain more insight into the Salamanca crime family or even the whole cartel structure.  It will be interesting if Lalo finally gets caught/killed as a result of this slipup, especially if it happens right before he's going to do something that would really make things bad for our heroes.