BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

If the show doesn't win the next Emmy for Best Drama, there's something really wrong with the voters.

(although, of course, most of these awards are more about popularity than actual quality).

It's probably best not to pay attention. The Wire, arguably one of the most highly regarded series of all time, was always shunned by awarding bodies.

Karol

Two little details I loved about this episode; when Mike was getting ready to ditch Jimmy's car, and he takes the gas cap out.  He puts it in his bag and you can just see the handheld GPS tracker sticking out.  Secondly, when night falls in the desert and Mike takes out a space blanket and offers one to Jimmy.  You can see Jimmy's expression darken when he sees it, and you KNOW the reminder of Chuck was enough to make him prefer the cold.  Neither is explained in the show; Mike doesn't ask why he won't take the blanket, and Jimmy doesn't ask why Mike takes the gas cap.  Without context, neither makes sense, but obviously loyal viewers know the deal.  I love the way this show rewards its viewers with little easter eggs like that.

2 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Secondly, when night falls in the desert and Mike takes out a space blanket and offers one to Jimmy.  You can see Jimmy's expression darken when he sees it, and you KNOW the reminder of Chuck was enough to make him prefer the cold.  

I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Yea they've done 8 of those, one per episode.  The one you posted is the one from episode 5

The cold opens are the best part :lol:

Rhea Seehorn can do anything

I’ve only just caught up after watching the last two seasons back to back. 

This is some truly fantastic television.

Holy fucking crap...  what an episode!!!  This just took this season to the next level.  Kim has yet another shining moment and my heart was racing shit I was so damn nervous!!!!!  I won’t say more don’t want to spoil for those who haven’t seen yet but you will NOT be disappointed.  It’s 1:25 long FYI

That final scene was one of the tensest scenes they've ever done in either show. Holy shit! 

Yes it was extremely intense!  Kim might well be the spark that signifies the end of Nacho I fear with her “get your house in order” comment to Lalo

I'll just leave this here...

Hands down, the best writing team in the industry.

This opens a lot of questions about what happens in the Gus/Mike/Nacho storyline from here... but based on this early scene with Saul in Breaking Bad,

Spoiler

Lalo and Nacho appear to be alive by that point in the timeline (late in BB season 2), or Saul isn't aware of either being dead:

There's a possibility season 6 of BCS runs parallel to the early seasons of BB, but it feels like there's plenty more water to flow under the bridge before we get to the Saul we all know and love from BB. It would be pretty cool if we got to see the fallout of events from BB in the BCS universe, especially with Saul/Gus/Mike mostly absent in those early seasons.

My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest!  10 minutes of agonizing tension...

I just caught up this week.

I gotta say, while I'm enjoying this season, could I be the only person who's actually finding the Gus/Lalo storyline a bit boring? Saul's storyline is interesting, but as soon as Gus or one of hs people come on, I tend to just switch off.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, Jay said:

The cold opens are the best part :lol:

Rhea Seehorn can do anything

And... none of those are available to view in the UK. They have a great writing team, but they've put a moron in charge of their marketing side projects.

It's smart of them to play off the tension of not knowing what happens to Kim, seeing as we all know the fate of the other major characters.

What do you mean by "will be" the best?  Season 5 has already finishing airing.

And the desert episode was called "Bagman".

Wow, what a finale! You knew that assassination attempt wouldn't go to plan, but was comically easy the way Lalo outsmarted Gus' hired goons (his best team, apparently). Hell of a cliffhanger though. Shit is going to hit the fan bigtime next season (whenever that happens, hopefully 2021 if we're lucky).

Really sad to watch Kim's fall from grace. Her character's fate seems clear now. The burning question is whether or not she factors into the post-BB Gene storyline or whether her exit comes sooner... I wouldn't mind if the series finale was based in the post-BB era and brought the whole thing to a close. Makes no sense to do that in episode 1 of the final season; more likely they'll repeat the Breaking Bad season 5 model, with another flashback in the first episode and the last few episodes moving into that future timeline.

Still, this was easily the best season of the series by far. A masterclass in writing, directing, cinematography, acting, you name it. All the actors have settled into their roles and the writers are at the height of their craft. Gilligan excels at this part of the story, when he gets to tear down the house he built in a giant ball of flames. It's great to see earlier storylines like Sandpiper coming back into play, but it's sad to think that early story thread could become their ultimate downfall (reminds me of the role Grey Matter played in the final episodes of Breaking Bad).

Since season 6 will be 13 episodes instead of the usual 10, I'm expecting the first 10 episodes to follow the normal formula, IE the season premiere will open with a Gene flash-forward, and the first 10 episodes will continue the current storyline, all the way either into and simultaneous with the Breaking Bad era, or just setting up everything they need you to do about what all remaining living characters will be up to during it.  Then episode 11 with continue the B&W Gene stuff, but switch to color at some point Memento style, and the rest of 11 and all of 12 and 13 will cover how the Gene stuff ends

Agreed, they'll definitely switch to colour if the last few episodes are set in Gene timeline. I predict the opening flashback in episode 1 will end with a massive cliffhanger and we won't find out what happens until the end of the season. I think the season will also play out over a longer timeframe, with the second half running concurrently to the early events of BB (with Tuco coming back into the fray, also the requisite Walter White and Jesse Pinkman cameos towards the end).

Didn't realise it was 13 episodes either! That's awesome, means they have much more room to play. After season four I couldn't see why the show needed two more seasons to close things off; after season five it doesn't feel like enough! Still, better than only having 10 eps.

Yea after that finale it's kind of amazing they only have 1 season left to cover from where they are now in 2004 all the way to the start of Breaking Bad in 2008, AND fit in whatever is happening in 2010 with Gene.  Gonna be a wild ride I expect

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What do you mean by "will be" the best?  Season 5 has already finishing airing.

Finale episode will air tomorrow, at least here in Belgium. 

Correction, it's available on April 21 (today). Strange, because this weekend it said the finale episode was going to be available on April 22. 

Anyway, 'Bagman' is going to best eppy of the season. 

I take it they left Lalo's muscle car somewhere in Mexico before taking the SUV to his compound, so is Lalo basically trying to get to where he knows that car is on foot?  Does he have the keys or will he have to hotwire it?  Since Lalo knows where the car is too, he'll probably head there too right?  So maybe Nacho should go somewhere else?  Kind of lame that Gus's extraction plan didn't include anyone to take Nacho away, he just had to run off.  Now that I think about it, what vehicle did the hit squad arrive in?  Maybe they have vehicles nearby?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Now that I think about it, what vehicle did the hit squad arrive in?  Maybe they have vehicles nearby?

I thought that was the weakest part of the episode. Only four assassins to take down a high-ranking cartel member across the border? Ridiculous.

I thought there was 5 - the hot oil in the face guy (the one Lalo later gets to make the call that it worked), the two that died near the tub, the two that died in the tunnel

But yea, there should have been 12 guys, not 5!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought there was 5 - the hot oil in the face guy (the one Lalo later gets to make the call that it worked), the two that died near the tub, the two that died in the tunnel

Thought it was only 1 who died near the tub but would need to rewatch.

Well 1 guy got oil to the face in the kitchen.  Then 4 guys enter the bathroom, and the leader sends two to find out where the tunnel ends, and two remain who enter the tunnel.  So there must be 5 guys.  But now I don't remember if we saw how Lalo got the guys that went outside, because the ones he shot in the tunnel were the ones who entered from the bathroom end right?  Hmmm

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

Best shot of the entire series in my opinion

FFF297C0-8E1A-47AE-8B7C-7FA76630E278.gif

All of the Salamancas have been scary, but Lalo is by FAR the scariest.  Probably because he's not just a one-note psycho like Tuco, or the stone-cold emotionless brothers Marco and Lionel.  Lalo's a very charismatic guy; strong, capable, and smart.  In the final scene, where the sound of his boots on the gravel shifts to rumbling thunder, you just KNOW an epic storm is on its way back to Albuquerque.  

Can't wait!