BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Then 4 guys enter the bathroom, and the leader sends two to find out where the tunnel ends, and two remain who enter the tunnel.  So there must be 5 guys.

Ah yes, forgot about the ones sent outside. Lalo presumably killed them off-screen... silently?

Still, didn't make much sense strategically (especially sending two agents down the mystery tunnel when they just needed to find the exit point). If nothing else, someone should have remained on watch in the bathroom rather than the one agent pointlessly staring down at the empty tunnel. But whatever.

14 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

All of the Salamancas have been scary, but Lalo is by FAR the scariest.  Probably because he's not just a one-note psycho like Tuco, or the stone-cold emotionless brothers Marco and Lionel.  Lalo's a very charismatic guy; strong, capable, and smart. 

I betcha Hector was pretty good and intimidating in his youth

In the final scene, where the sound of his boots on the gravel shifts to rumbling thunder, you just KNOW an epic storm is on its way back to Albuquerque.  

Can't wait!

That was sooo well done!

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Ah yes, forgot about the ones sent outside. Lalo presumably killed them off-screen... silently?

Still, didn't make much sense strategically (especially sending two agents down the mystery tunnel when they just needed to find the exit point). If nothing else, someone should have remained on watch in the bathroom rather than the one agent pointlessly staring down at the empty tunnel. But whatever.

Maybe there was more than 5 guys?  Because if he got those outside guys off-screen, and the 2 in the tunnel with the gun, then there would be a sixth that he killed in the bathroom itself

Damn, that Lalo! He's like a cockroach that just won't die. As others, I reacted to the fact that he so easily outsmarted the assassins -- given Fring's extensive vetting process.

I had completely forgotten this was the last episode of the season. Given the current situation, it will be insanely long to the next, and presumably last.

But yes -- I agree with everyone who said this is the best season yet. Even though all the court room dramas of the previous seasons were solved incredibly well.

Haha

I honestly was expecting her to say the line, I wonder if they tried some takes where she did

What an utterly fantastic season that was. Seriously good television.

As much as I’m looking forward to Season 6, I’m devastated it’ll be the last.

I listened to the Insider podcast and they didn't bring this up, so I bring it to you JWFanners to ponder on.

Do you think the reason Nacho was able to get that phone call when he was in the compound was because the hit squad team trekked out a cell repeater (or multiple cell repeaters) that ran on battery power, turned it on long enough to get the call through, then turned it right off (which is why his bars went down right after).  If so, did that tech exist in 2004?  If not, was it just supposed to be a wild coincidence that he happened to get cell coverage in the same window they were trying to call him?

So, the new status quo leading into the final season:

• Kim is supportive of her and Jimmy's schemes, they'll gonna try to end Hamlin's career and put a stop on the Sandpiper case.
  • Lalo survived the assassination attempt on him, but that left several of his friends dead.
  • However, Gus (and also Mike and Jimmy) believe Lalo is dead, so they don't know he's returning to the United States looking for revenge.
  • Nacho went missing on the Mexican desert after trying to escape Lalo's farm.

The next season should be about Lalo's final confrontation with Gus and Mike, Jimmy and Kim vs their old company. And they still have to deal with the scenes in the future with Gene.

Somehow, these final 13 episodes seem too little. Maybe they'll split the final season into two parts, much like Breaking Bad?

I don't think some of your ideas make sense.  There's no reason to think Lalo is headed for the US, nor that Lalo thinks Gus or Mike had anything to do with the attack.  All he knows is that Nacho betrayed him, but he has no idea who Nacho is working with, or if he's even working with anyone

I imagine he has an idea of who's behind that attack. And I don't think they're going to waste precious time with Lalo investigating who ordered the attack. In any case, once he finds out it was Gus, he'll be heading to US looking for revenge.

I do believe the final season will be built upon the final confrontation between Gus and Lalo, and also Jimmy and Kim vs Hamlin. 

I think Lalo will spend the early part of season 6 in Mexico, looking for Nacho, as we follow Nacho, out of his element, trying to get home, calling Mike and asking him to guard his father.  Hmm then again, Nacho doesn't know that Lalo survived yet.  

So many exciting possibilities!

On 4/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, Jay said:

I don't think some of your ideas make sense.  There's no reason to think Lalo is headed for the US, nor that Lalo thinks Gus or Mike had anything to do with the attack.  All he knows is that Nacho betrayed him, but he has no idea who Nacho is working with, or if he's even working with anyone

We've seen that Lalo is very smart.  Him and Gus clearly don't like each other and I'm sure he realizes that Nacho doesn't have the resources to pull off a hit as such.  He's been trying to get rid of Gus since he arrived in the US, so I'm sure his first instinct will lead back to Gustavo.  For him to think Nacho alone had anything to do with the hit would be completely out of character for someone as cunning as Lalo has shown to be.  Still, I think he will indeed have to hunt down Nacho and will probably try to use him to get back at Gus.

I just think Lalo will spend a few eps in Mexico before we see him in Albuquerque again 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hope they’re able to start filming Season 6 soon. Michael Mando said in an Reddit AMA they were hoping start in September, but I doubt that’s happening now.

There's not going to be a lot of film and television production in the US any time soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After getting through BB for the first time a month or two ago, I just caught up with this too. I adored everything with KIM, Jimmy and Chuck, screw slowburn or not, I would have watched anything with these characters and this writing and this acting. Mike had good stuff too but I couldn't quite get into the cartel/Salamanca/Gus stuff - I remember early on fearing BB would go heavily in that direction when Tuco showed up, but thankfully Walt focused more on production and family than distribution and the kindergarten squabbles of "this is my territory", "that puta gringo disrespected my papi, I must kill him for honor" and shit. I enjoyed hating Gus in BB but as far as I can remember fresh of the kinda-binge, I can't recall a single scene with or around him where I thought it was really worth seeing, that I'm glad I saw it. It even devolved into annoying prequelitis at times with Hector getting his bell and the hole under the laundry digged for half a season - but it could have all been sooo much worse, too. But when it's good, hoo boy is it great! Scoringwise I think I just took it all for granted in both shows an nothing ever really stood out much (songs are a different matter)... until Chuck's final S3 breakdown and end, I loved that cue.

I like a handful of cues from BB, but nothing he did in BCS really made any impression on me.

I actually enjoyed the last season the least of all of them so far. I think it's because of the emphasis on the cartel storyline, and the Gus/Mike/Nacho bits. I find them a lot less interesting than Jimmy's storylines, to the extent that I sometimes read the wikipedia article for an episode to fill in the gaps because I've usually missed something.

• 1 month later...

BCS lost the writing Emmy to Succession :(

I actually think Succession is great, but BCS season 5 is one of the best written seasons of television I've ever watched. Oh well. 

Aw dang Succession just won for directing too, and BCS wasn't even nominated. The hell

Wow tons of nominees in the best drama category, and Succession wins again 

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Next season will be BCS's last chance at Emmy glory :( . It's sad how a show so good managed to be utterly ignored like it happened so far.

I wonder when they'll even be able to film it? Jonathan Banks is 73 and they really need to ensure he's safe from catching COVID in any production environment. It might even affect the way they write the season (or whatever they had planned, who knows).

I'd expect 2022 at this point.  Even though they are probably getting all the writing they need finished during lockdown, I just don't see normal filming happening early enough that it and all the post production would be done in the next 12 months.

• 2 months later...

Bob Odenkirk has a new John Wick-ish flick coming out, and he drinks from a Wexler-McGill mug early in the trailer!

• 1 month later...

Well I finished season five.

It certainly was better paced but.....

When your interest sags every time the two main characters have a scene together....Something is amiss. There is ZERO chemistry between these two.

Kim's unethical behavior, actively working AGAINST her client was too.much to swallow.

I also was confused about all the intrigue; just what is up with the CI and the DEA?

Like I said, I can't stop watching because the peripheral characters are so compelling.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, crocodile said:

Like The Wire.

Karol

THE WIRE is top five best shows of  all time.

Emmy/ Schmemmy

This show is better if you forget about Breaking Bad.

I reckon it should have played up the comedy a bit more too. I'm surprised at how grim it all is. Could have used a David E. Kelley touch. Although even he's gone all dark and disturbing these days too.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, Edmilson said:

I imagine he has an idea of who's behind that attack. And I don't think they're going to waste precious time with Lalo investigating who ordered the attack. In any case, once he finds out it was Gus, he'll be heading to US looking for revenge.

I do believe the final season will be built upon the final confrontation between Gus and Lalo, and also Jimmy and Kim vs Hamlin. 

If they really follow thru with the absurd plan to destroy Hamlin....im out.

Maybe because I did legal work at one time, I can't buy this crap!

On 7/20/2020 at 7:12 AM, The Big Man said:

I loved the ep when Jimmy and Mike are out in the desert. Reminded me of those BB eps where Walt and Jesse were out in the desert cooking meth.

But.....it was so damn predictable.

If you have ever watched a tv Western ..its the.most clicked of storylines.

It was well done however

10 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

This show is better if you forget about Breaking Bad.

I reckon it should have played up the comedy a bit more too. I'm surprised at how grim it all is. Could have used a David E. Kelley touch. Although even he's gone all dark and disturbing these days too.

Yes!

Saul was COMIC relief.

Five seasons in.and we still haven't seen the BB version of Saul.

Wtf?

The legal maneuvers by Jimmy in.the Sandpiper case were compelling. He actually acted like a smart legal.mind.

But, the subsequent stuff with Acker, Hamlin,

at.al is just tv bullshit.

What happened to this character?

• 2 weeks later...