BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Cinnabon Gene scenes are some of my favorite parts of the show.

Right before each new season starts I re-watch each of them shortly before the season premiere

This is what I'm expecting to happen this year, once they announced this season will be 13 episodes instead of 10:

Episode 1 - usual Gene cold open, ending with the biggest cliffhanger yet

rest of Episode 1 through episode 10 - wrap-up of the main timeline story they've been telling.  Towards the end we are overlapping with the Breaking Bad timeframe and see Saul's viewpoints on things we saw in BB (like that one flashforward they did in season 4).  Ends with Jimmy leaving everyone behind to go into hiding in Omaha via Ed (which would have been shown but with Robert Forester passing that will have to be discussed without being shown I guess unless they already filmed it in secret)

Episode 11 - continues the black and white Gene scene from the cliffhanger, but at some point it transitions to color.

Rest of episode 11 through episode 13 - continuation of the Gene story line to some kind of... probably tragic but maybe not ending

BCS had a ton of noms but lost in every category

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Critics'_Choice_Television_Awards

However, the Better Call Saul: Ethics Training with Kim Wexler won Best Short Form Series, so that's nice. 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGGFt98WrMUNzaY40r8xsVPK04vCbV9S4

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Last season ended with Saul and [Kim] planning some crackpot scheme to discredit and ruin the lawyer she used to work for.

That was great! And "What happens to Kim?" is the primary question driving Better Call Saul.

Kim's metamorphosis is not credible.

I worked in law; no attorney would act like she has.

And, are we really supposed to believe she is attracted to Jimmy?

She would marry him?!😳

They are the worst part of the show.

I watch for Fring, Laslo and Michael

And I've dealt with lawyers before, particularly IP/patent attorneys, and fuck they're the dryest, most off-putting matter-of-fact personalities you'll ever encounter, it's almost eerie. I'm actually intimidated speaking to them even on a casual basis because I'm scared they'll charge me a fee for simply having an informal chat with them. //shudder

Right.

They are not impulsive.

They wouldn't actively work against their client.

They wouldn't jeopardize their law license for a scoundrel like Jimmy.

And, if they are as hot as Kim, they wouldn't let him even be her clerk.

Their impulsions and hot-headedness creates drama or else there'd be no show. We want our fictional characters to have some sort of exceptionalism to them to distinguish them from their dry, conformist peers.

There is ZERO chemistry between the two.

I never believe she cares for Jimmy.

Not for a moment.

Remember the storyline about the pensioners being ripped off? They acted like lawyers not grifters.

The latest story seem phony and lazy..

The drug smuggling storyline is far better

When Kim double crossed her client- who.had treated her very well- all credibility in the character as a real person, went out the window.

It's the drug stuff I have the least interest in, BB did a better job integrating it in small enough doses, even Mike isn't enough to keep me too interested. But I'm fully captivated anytime Jimmy or Kim are on screen.

I love it, the entire universe. Eagerly awaiting this final season and finding out if and however it connects to the Breaking Bad chronology.... and the fate of the present-day Saul.

Saul didn't join Breaking Bad until the latter half of Season 2, so there's a decent amount of shared continuity, if they have chosen to 'connect' both shows up... which I should imagine they have to some extent. I don't want them to do anything too obvious but it does need to end well.

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Kim's metamorphosis is not credible.

I worked in law; no attorney would act like she has.

And, are we really supposed to believe she is attracted to Jimmy?

She would marry him?!😳

They are the worst part of the show.

I watch for Fring, Laslo and Michael

Walt’s metamorphosis is not credible.

I worked in education; no chemistry teacher would act like he has.

And, are we really supposed to believe he is attracted to Skyler?

He would marry her?!😳

There is a big difference between the two shows.

BB never passed itself off as a serious, realistic drama. It's melodrama, pulp

Gilligan admits this and said he was surprised audiences took it as a serious statement.

6 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Given the programme we're talking about, I believe there's a glaring flaw in your argument.

Jimmy is a.con man above all.

Kim never gave any clue as to her deviant behavior. Bad writing

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Kim never gave any clue as to her deviant behavior. Bad writing

If you think this, it proves that you did not watch the show attentively enough

Well, if you mean her going along with Jimmy's cons, that's part of the whole story arc I have problems with.

But, betraying her professional code of conduct for no reason.... Not believeable.

If you recall she initially scolded him for his tactics; the she goes along with him

18 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

But, betraying her professional code of conduct for no reason.... Not believeable.

It wasn't for no reason.  She's always had this inside her.

18 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

If you recall she initially scolded him for his tactics; the she goes along with him

That doesn't mean the writers changed their minds over time.  People do one thing one day, and another thing another day.  People have reasons for each decision being the right decision, for that moment in time.

I don't think we have enough information yet to know why she wants to do that, but we'll find out early in season 6!

• 3 months later...

Damn. After the Eriksen collapse in this year's Euro Cup, I'm always weary when I see these things happening. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.