BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

I still wanted to see more of the aftermath of the main BCS storyline.

It's as if they've gone, "Nah, we're gonna skip all that. Here, have an extended ending to a different show that finished 9 years ago instead."

I can totally see where the gripes about the structure of the season or the gap between BCS and BB are coming in here, but for me I think the idea behind it is that nothing particularly significant happens after Kim leaves, at least not dramatically. We've seen all we need to see for what transpires next. The time jump at the end of "Fun and Games" shows us everything we need to know: after Kim left, Jimmy completely commits to the Saul persona; filling his day from start to finish with non-stop noise, phone calls, distractions, work, sex workers etc. all so he doesn't stop and think for even a second about Howard, Kim or Chuck. We don't see the aftermath of "Fun and Games" because Jimmy won't let there be an aftermath: he's pushed it all down underneath Saul.

The reason we're spending so much time with Gene is because for the first time since Kim has left he hasn't got Saul to hide behind, just the slow, achingly lonely existence of the Cinnabun manager alone with his own memories. This is the aftermath of "Fun and Games", it's just come years later than it should have.

Waterworks

Written by Vince Gilligan

Directed by Vince Gilligan

Previous episodes written by Vince Gilligan

• BB 1x01 Pilot
  • BB 1x02 Cat's In The Bag...
  • BB 1x03 ...And the Bag's in the River
  • BB 1x04 Cancer Man
  • BB 2x06 Peekaboo
  • BB 2x13 ABQ
  • BB 3x01 No Más
  • BB 3x13 Full Measure
  • BB 4x01 Box Cutter
  • BB 4x13 Face Off
  • BB 5x01 Live Free or Die
  • BB 5x02 Madrigal
  • BB 5x16 Felina
  • El Camino
  • BCS 1x01 Uno
  • BCS 2x10 Klick
  • BCS 3x01 Mabel

Previous episodes directed by Vince Gilligan

• BB 1x01 Pilot
  • BB 3x13 Full Measure
  • BB 4x12 End Times
  • BB 4x13 Face Off
  • BB 5x16 Felina
  • El Camino
  • BCS 1x01 Uno
  • BCS 2x10 Klick
  • BCS 3x01 Mabel
  • BCS 3x02 Witness
  • BCS 4x09 Wiedersehen
  • BCS 5x08 Bagman
  • BCS 6x02 Carrot and Stick
  • BCS 6x08 Point and Shoot

Well holy shit. I don't think I've ever predicted an episode of television more accurately in my life. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I think what's going to happen is that something bad will happen inside the house while Saul is breaking in

9 hours ago, Jay said:

And that will raise the stakes and make us worry how Gene was gonna get out of it. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I think Carol Burnette is going to use that fancy new laptop and google "Gene" and figure out who he is

9 hours ago, Jay said:

she'll call the cops

6 hours ago, Jay said:

she meets up with him when she's back in ABQ to sign divorce papers

6 hours ago, Jay said:

at some point in the episode we see her side of that phone call

We can disagree on whether the post-BB time jump is a misfire, but can we all agree that the digital black and white looks atrocious? At least add in some film grain if you're trying to emulate a noir look. 

9 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

We can disagree on whether the post-BB time jump is a misfire, but can we all agree that the digital black and white looks atrocious? At least add in some film grain if you're trying to emulate a noir look. 

I don’t think AMC has done it justice. It looks much better on Netflix.

22 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

What?!

3 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

What?!

Talking Saul is on if you click live TV in the AMC+ app

Bob Odenkirk had a nice analogy saying Gene doing these scams is like Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas drinking himself to death

And there was some nice behind the scenes footage shown of them filming the Cranston and Paul scenes

49 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

It’s not meant to emulate a noir look; it’s meant to be a stark contrast to the color of Jimmy/Saul’s lives (hence the Saul commercials appearing in color both here and in the series premiere). Despite the intent being that it’s duller visually than all of BCS and BB, it’s still beautifully framed and lit. I disagree on this more than the season’s quality lol.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bob Odenkirk had a nice analogy saying Gene doing these scams is like Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas drinking himself to death

Not going to lie, I’m feeling validated having Bob echo the same ”drinking himself to death” description I made after last week’s episode.

This episode he was up to his classic Saul Goodman shenanigans; much of his Jimmy McGill life was duller than his scams as Gene. I'd say 3 episodes of black and white is not just overly literal, it's also misapplied if that really was the intention. And it looks like an ugly instagram filter. 

11 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

This episode he was up to his classic Saul Goodman shenanigans; much of his Jimmy McGill life was duller than his scams as Gene. I'd say 3 episodes of black and white is not just overly literal, it's also misapplied if that really was the intention. And it looks like an ugly instagram filter. 

Not sure I would call almost bludgeoning a cancer patient he’s in the process of robbing, and preparing to either strangle or incapacitate an innocent senior citizen “classic Saul shenanigans,” and that was all we saw Gene do this episode (aside from speaking to Jeff in the police station).

3 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

Seven years ago it was used in short teasers as a cold open, not in full episodes. And they clearly changed their minds, because Gene is not living a boring dull life anymore. 

Why would the color have returned (metaphorically)? Gene’s life isn’t boring and dull anymore, but he isn’t enjoying what he’s doing. He’s literally at his lowest point.

Oh wow that mayo discussion was so painfully on the nose. I liked their talk on the phone and loved all the Kim back in ABQ stuff!

Jeff misreading the police’s intentions, peeling out and immediately crashing is this show’s version of Ted Beneke overreacting to Huell and Kuby in his house and tripping on his rug with enough force to put himself in a coma. A big, much needed moment of humor in this episode’s Gene plot.

I assume that’s the last we’ll see of Jeff and Marion (Carol Burnett seems guaranteed to win a guest performance Emmy for her work in this episode), so I doubt we’ll find out what happens to Jeff once the police connect him to Saul thanks to his mom. It probably doesn’t go well?

12 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

I assume that’s the last we’ll see of Jeff and Marion (Carol Burnett seems guaranteed to win a guest performance Emmy for her work in this episode), so I doubt we’ll find out what happens to Jeff once the police connect him to Saul thanks to his mom. It probably doesn’t go well?

If the last 3 episodes are any indication, most of the finale will focus on Jeff, Marion and more flashbacks to Walt and Jesse.

It was probably as close to Better Call Saul’s Ozymandias as we’re going to get. Just a grim hour of television all round.

I have been a silent reader of this thread, as BCS is one of my favourite shows, and it's interesting to see the discussion here.

And now it almost reaches the end, allow me to share my thoughts on these recent developments.

In my opinion, the showrunners are Game-of-Throne-ing this season, the difference is, they still give their love and thought to the series, as opposed to how Benioff and Weiss wanted to quickly jettison themselves from their brainchild. 

But still the same problem, as if the writer realized that they have outpaced BB in term of the length (of the seasons) and acknowledged that they in fact still needed more seasons to finish (nicely), but were faced with the fact that (1) they grew exhausted, (2) no love (ehem, EMMYS) given to the series/really mild reception from public.

It's like Gilligan & Gould having their casual lunch in the cafe, all fun and games until one of them talked about work "So, how about BCS?", the last topic that they wanted to discuss 😁

Plus, I guess they are mandated by the studio to finish the season ASAP (beacuse of the said reason no 2).

With those abovementioned "contraints", I think what they do to this final season is acceptable, and perhaps need to be appreciated still. I mean there is nothing else you can do, or add, really

(I mean with a story as tragic as Saul, any approach to the ending could easily be deemed a disappointment by viewers)

The fact that the very existence of BCS itself is "non-essential" and has no sense of urgency, 

(in fact, at least for me, we are truly lucky to have the series end with Gene timeline, as opposed to how some have theorized in the beginning, that the series could end right when Saul meets WW),

It's truly a blessing to be told a really engaging story across 6 seasons.

And it's really sad to see this go next week.

I know Kim was just as instrumental in Howard's character assassination as Jimmy (arguably even more so) but seeing her life's potential wasted writing brochure text for sprinkler products when we know she is capable of so much more was heart-breaking.

I love how they cut away from the office staff's lunch time chat literally in the middle of a word. It really emphasises how mundane and uninteresting her Florida life is now.

Gene and Saul are thoroughly unlikable in this episode. 

Even Vince Gilligan has been quoted saying this:

I’m glad we don’t have too much left because I don’t want to see too much more of him being a monster. It was tough in Episode 12 watching him be so unpleasant and unlikable. My god. This is not what I want to see as a fan of the show. I think it’s important stuff and we feel it’s necessary plot wise, but man, what an unpleasant thing.

If even you know it's not what fans want to see, then why on earth are you writing this? It's such a curveball.

Ozymandias, Granite State and Felina were unpleasant to watch, by man they were satisfying as hell. Everything felt natural. BCS just feels like it's going out with a pathetic, unnecessary whimper.

10 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

But in your previous post you were complaining about fan-service!

I am complaining about it. It's cheap and lazy, and the show hasn't been like this until now.

Seeing Walt and Jesse isn't important.

Having proper resolution to a story they've been telling for the last 7 years is. Not this Gene sideshow with these new characters we've no attachment to, and a "protagonist" who's compeltely unrecognisable. And no, that's not "the point". It's jarring writing. Something can be unpleasant to watch but satisfying. This is only the former.

9 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I am complaining about it.

I understand that (though I don't fully agree with the assessment in this case), but your subsequent complaint about Gilligan deliberately not trying to please fans seemed to express a contradictory sentiment...

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

I know Kim was just as instrumental in Howard's character assassination as Jimmy (arguably even more so) but seeing her life's potential wasted writing brochure text for sprinkler products when we know she is capable of so much more was heart-breaking.

I love how they cut away from the office staff's lunch time chat literally in the middle of a word. It really emphasises how mundane and uninteresting her Florida life is now.

Gene and Saul are thoroughly unlikable in this episode. 

Can't say I really understand how her life is bad. She has a nice house, a boyfriend, a job with a private office, she's doing better than 90% of people, even if it's not a fancy corporate lawyer life. Plus she's like 50, I think she'd want to settle down a bit at this point.

8 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

I’m curious if anyone who is so discombobulated from Gene’s actions in these last few episodes would feel any different after a fresh rewatch of Breaking Bad (even BCS, for that matter). 

I recall Saul being sleazy comic relief. Someone who put on a big show but who was ultimately scared and harmless.

Now what feels like out of nowhere, he's gone full Heisenberg.

The last time I watched Breaking Bad was in February.

Things I did like:

Has anyone else noticed how a quick frame from the episode has been shown at the end of the titles over the last two weeks? Last week it was the crossroads, this week it was the shot of Kim arriving in ABQ.

I thought the falling pillar was hilarious - how you think it’s going to come crashing down, but it just stops with this pathetic “thump”.

More tacky cat-themed birthday cards! Mike signed one in 4.01 too.

Gene’s plan to hit the guy over the head with the ashes of his dog was also darkly comic. When the guy passed out, I thought for a second Gene was going to go back up the stairs again to put them back.

I saw some reviews saying Jeff was smart enough to crash the car to create a diversion for Gene to escape. But my interpretation was he freaked out over what turned out to be literally nothing.

12 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

Can't say I really understand how her life is bad. She has a nice house, a boyfriend, a job with a private office, she's doing better than 90% of people, even if it's not a fancy corporate lawyer life. Plus she's like 50, I think she'd want to settle down a bit at this point.

As you say, her life itself isn't too bad. What is bad is the wasted potential. She is a person who is capable of single handedly dealing with the legalities of a major bank expansion or helping vulnerable people in court but instead she has a job that just uses a fraction of her talent and intelligence.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I recall Saul being sleazy comic relief. Someone who put on a big show but who was ultimately scared and harmless.

I would draw the line at comparing him to Heisenberg. For starters he's never taken a life, although he appeared to come close (twice!) in this episode. In fact I think the fact he didn't is very important to note. Even if the cancer patient guy hadn't woken up we don't really know whether or not Gene would have still gone through with hitting him in the head. It's chilling that he came that close, but it's important to make that distinction. And while threatening Marion in her own house was downright shitbag behaviour (and grounds alone for why he really does need to be arrested and jailed), he didn't physically hurt her.

My view is that this is the absolute worst, lowest point of this character. The reason we never saw Saul or Jimmy do anything as bad as this before is deliberate; this is the ultimate consequence of Jimmy's refusal to deal with his emotional trauma and subsequent "using" (to use the addiction metaphor that the show implies) of the Saul persona. It's no coincidence that it's Marion of all people who is present at this low moment; it's a direct link to his time with the Sandpiper residents in season 2. When he alienated Irene from her friends it was horrendous to watch, almost unforgivable, saved by his last ditch effort to throw himself under the bus and reconcile things. This all shows us how far this man has fallen, and while it's not pleasant to watch he's still nowhere near the monster that Heisenberg was.

I thought the falling pillar was hilarious - how you think it’s going to come crashing down, but it just stops with this pathetic “thump”.

Agreed, a very funny moment, and one of many. Last week I felt there was very little humour so I was happy to see it this week. It's also a poignant metaphor for the fall of Saul Goodman and the muted, drab life of Gene. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I saw some reviews saying Jeff was smart enough to crash the car to create a diversion for Gene to escape. But my interpretation was he freaked out over what turned out to be literally nothing.

Yeah I'm with you on that, to me that was clearly Jeff freaking out. Another very funny moment.

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

As you say, her life itself isn't too bad. What is bad is the wasted potential. She is a person who is capable of single handedly dealing with the legalities of a major bank expansion or helping vulnerable people in court but instead she has a job that just uses a fraction of her talent and intelligence.

I was so compelled by Kim's staunch refusal to show any kind of decision-making throughout that whole sequence. Over and over again she defers to whoever she's talking to: "I dunno, what do you think?" etc. It's Kim both living a humble life of penance, but also holding back the incredible drive and headstrong nature inside her. She doesn't even trust herself to have an opinion on Miracle Whip for fear of slipping back into her old ways. 

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

Some more frustratingly poor questions from Kelly in this week's Insider podcast 

Every time she says “I was gonna ask…” my heart sinks, because I know what’s coming.

From Jimmy to Saul to Gene, and the eleven (chronological) seasons between these two shows, we’ve only ever seen this character become less in touch with his humanity. He starts BCS by negotiating for the twins to get their legs broken instead of bullets in the head, and by the time he shows up in BB, a frequent suggestion is that anyone causing a problem get a trip to Belize. It’s only natural that these final few episodes would show him at his absolute worst, especially following his perceived betrayal by the person to whom he felt the closest.

10 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

It’s not a bad life, but it’s the wrong one for her. There were multiple scenes over the years of her typing and retyping on her laptop, second guessing a word or punctuation mark in a legal document to help give her clients the best possible defense. Here, we saw her doing that with ad copy and clip art placement in a brochure that someone will probably toss in the garbage. That longing look at the female attorney helping her client look presentable in the ABQ courthouse said so much.

Not how I interpret it. The question really is whether it was the presence of Jimmy or her profession that made her unhappy. A few episodes ago she decided it was both.  The fact that she hasn't reverted to Slippin' Wexler shows that she's happier to be doing clip art on brochures. 

I don’t know, I thought it was pretty clear from her breakup with Jimmy that she still loved the law, and she was leaving it behind because she had broken her oath to uphold it. She felt she no longer deserved it.

I guess that’s not at complete odds with what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s that her profession was making her unhappy. She loved it so much that she realized it was better off without her, just like Jimmy (and vice versa).

7 hours ago, SpaceCoyote said:

by the time he shows up in BB, a frequent suggestion is that anyone causing a problem get a trip to Belize

Very good point. Even in his first episode when Badger is arrested he's suggesting they off him if I remember correctly. I guess since he has Mike to deal with "the sharp end" of things, he feels like it's an easy solution to put on the table while still keeping his hands relatively clean.

I still wish we could have seen more moments where we saw Jimmy crossing these lines for the first time. That 6.09 time jump still hurts.

7 hours ago, SpaceCoyote said:

There were multiple scenes over the years of her typing and retyping on her laptop, second guessing a word or punctuation mark in a legal document to help give her clients the best possible defense. Here, we saw her doing that with ad copy and clip art placement in a brochure that someone will probably toss in the garbage.

loved that this came back!