BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

Better Call Saul 1x07 Biingo

Another great episode. What a solid first season!

Opening features a wrapup of the Mike episode - turns out the cops did notice their missing notebook, and Mike and Jimmy return it. I really liked that Mike essentially left his fate in his daughter in law's hands - I believe him when he said he honestly didn't know what she would tell them. I also liked the discussion of the differences between the two cops, and what things are like in Mike's old precinct back home. All good stuff.

Next comes a nice Jimmy/Chuck scene (this was sorely lacking in the last episode). I never would have expected to see Chuck on the mend like this - enjoying 2 minutes outside without even needing his foil blanket when he came back in! I loved how genuinely happy Jimmy is for this. I think it was an interesting mix of genuine happiness for his sick brother, with just the right hint of disapointment that they might not be able to sue HHM for $17 million after all. The button on this scene is SO perfect - not only that Chuck starts looking through the files Jimmy leaves there, but that Jimmy figured that would happen, which we learn as we see him observing from the window.

Jimmy showing Kim his potential future office space was nuts. A little hint of success and Jimmy goes ALL OUT! I admit I'm a bit confused about the nature of Jimmy and Kim's relationship. Did they date in the past? Does he like her? Does she like him? Does she even know what she wants? Does he? Does he offer her a partnership based solely on her merits as a lawyer or because of feelings? I hope we learn more about their past.

Then we have something I wasn't expecting - a return of the Kettlemans. I really thought their story was over! At first I wasn't that into it, not being really sure where it was going - but this ended up being such a good story! Mrs Kettlleman's delusional denial of any wrongdoing is hilarious, with Kim but especially with Jimmy, who she knows saw the money! Her plan to basically I guess blackmail Jimmy into helping them is interesting, and I love the way Jimmy more or less instantly gets out of it: Forcing the Kettelman's hand by stealing the money and returning it to the DA. Wow.

I loved the entire sequence of Mike getting the money - the fact that Mike was doing it, the music, his plan, the lighting, everything. Its interesting that the show sometimes shows you every step of the way for a character to get from one place to another, and sometimes take shortcuts. Yet it doesn't feel incongruous that Mike is suddenly at his Breaking Bad self here, whipping up a smart plan to get something done that is certainly not legal.

Jimmy really took a leap of faith that Mike wouldn't take the money and run. That's a really interesting and significant moment in their relationship. Just think back to the first couple of episodes and in how much of a financial conundrum Jimmy was in..... and how much worse things would be if all the money just disappeared. What the heck would Jimmy do? Furthermore, I just loved Jimmy looking at all that money, adding the bribe, giving it to Mike, and telling him its the "right thing to do". Wow. Its not a very long scene, but Odenkirk plays it so well you just know that Jimmy is thinking of an alternate scenario where him and Mike split it or something and Jimmy takes a different path. Essentially the person he'll be in just six years time, but he's so different now still.

The episode ends with another great Odenkirk scene of him visiting his potential office for presumably the last time, having another little kick fit, and then having to answer the phone in his mock British assistant accent. Great stuff.

Stray thoughts:

Really disappointed Saul asked Chuck if building up a poison immunity by taking a little bit at a time was a thing. For someone who has referenced a classic movie in every episode prior, shouldn't he be familiar with The Princess Bride?

At this point, its not clear at all to me why Nacho is a main cast member, credited as the fifth actor in the opening credits of every episode, regardless of whether he appears or not. Essentially he's just a minor character that had a few scenes in 3 of the 7 aired episode. The Kettelmans have had more screen time than him. Why is he a main cast member? I have to assume he'll play a major role in the final 3 episodes of the season - unless his story really begins in Season 2?

The flashback murder of the two cops stands out like a sour thumb more than ever now. Take that sequence out, and you have a show completely devoid of murder - its still about crime, but its about embezzlement, fake kidnappings, and theft, not murder and drugs. As it is, Mike and his backstory is the only thing in this show that really relates to Breaking Bad in a direct and thematic way. Without that aspect, this is a pretty damn different show - so far. I wonder if as the seasons go on, murder will become a bigger part, or it will always be about "lighter" crime.

Damn. I don't think I even wrote about Breaking Bad this much when it was on.

I admit I'm a bit confused about the nature of Jimmy and Kim's relationship. Did they date in the past? Does he like her? Does she like him? Does she even know what she wants? Does he? Does he offer her a partnership based solely on her merits as a lawyer or because of feelings? I hope we learn more about their past.

I'm thinking "friends with benefits". At least that is the vibe I'm getting. They seem to be quite intimate (Jimmy painting her nails etc). But it has to be sorta secretive because Kim doesnt want Hamlin to find out. Probably because it will ruin her career there.

It's pretty clear Jimmy wants more though.

Can't blame him! She's a good looking gal with a great look of mischief behind her eyes. She was the same way on Whitney

Both her and Chuck are good influences on Jimmy. Keeping him on the right side of the track because he wants to look good in their eyes.

So both will doubtlessly dissapear, be killed, commited or something heartbreaking.

I think Chuck will get committed and Kim will stay on for a while.... but who knows.

Like BB, the best thing about this show is its unpredictability.

Rico

Continues with Jimmy on the straight and narrow.

Opens with a flashback scene where Jimmy works in the mail room at his brothers company and passes the bar. A very nice scene where Chuck is genuinely astonished and proud that Jimmy did this all on his own, even is it was via an irregular way mirrors the scene of last week where Jimmy was genuinely moved by Chuck being outside for two minutes.

This episode very much highlights the relationship between the two brothers as Chuck is quietly proud of Jimmy as he takes on a case where a care home is grossly over billing it's residents. He joins Jimmy in working on the case and there's a great little scene where Chuck seems to freeze during a meeting, but drops a 20 million dollar demand right at the end.

Loved the scene in the dumpster before that!

Rico also shows where the antagonism Jimmy holds for Hamlin comes from, since he's the one whop told Jimmy they would not hire him as a lawyer.

The Mike storyline continues independently as he babysits his granddaughter and comes up with the plan to start doing some less then legal work as a way to support his family.

The scene itself is pretty perfunctory, as it's a story beat that needed to happen. But it also has a hint of tragedy since the moment he decides that is also the moment he seals his own fate years later, dying near a river for no good reason by an angry Walt. (a friend of mine told me last night that having Mike's back story actually makes her hate Walt even more).

This is another great little episode. It's also totally unexpected. Who could have anticipated only 3 eps ago that Chuck and Jimmy would be working a 20 million dollar RICO case together. Or that Chuck would just casually stroll outside to get a case file from Jimmy's car....

Kim seems unsure about the concept of Jimmy and Chuck working together. I wonder if Hamlin will use this to remove Chuck from the company. I think Chuck casually giving out his number so that case files can be printed on his account at Hamlin's is probably a mistake.

Better Call Saul 1x08 RICO

Wow, another solid episode. The show literally hasn't come close to having a bad episode yet. Also, every episode seems to set the show off in another direction. How long can they keep this up?

Fantastic teaser, showing Jimmy passing the bar exam after presumably years of after-work study while working in a mailroom. The way him and Kim kiss makes it seem like they were boyfriend/girlfriend perhaps? I didn't understand why all these scenes were so dark, unless it was to hide the age of the actors. Kim's office especially, was just way too dark, though. Loved the shot of the mailroom parking - slowly zooming in the whole time as they party, Hamlin comes in, everyone leaves - and when the door closes, we only hear the photocopier in the foreground, until he opens the door again. Good stuff.

Jimmy continues to do will work for the elderly, even accepting late payment from a nice old lady. Then he stumbles into some sort of scam the nursing home is running on some or all of its residents and that story builds and builds until completely taking off. Great scene of Jimmy returning to find them shredding things, and him using the bathroom to make the demand letter. Then came the hilarious dumpster dive, man you could just sense how disgusting it was thanks to Odenkirk's acting! Loved the reveal of the recycle bins right outside it :P

It was a pleasure to see Jimmy and Chuck working together on this, really good stuff! Another good montage (this show excels at them) of Jimmy putting together the shredded documents, and love how Chuck takes over when he sleeps. The show is going out of the way to show that despite what you might have thought of him from Breaking Bad, he really is a SUPER hard working guy - between the years of trying to pass the bar, the perseverance in getting clients, and now staying up all night with these documents when he things he has a big case, among other things. I really like that aspect of his character.

Loved the meeting between Chuck and Jimmy and the nursing home's lawyers. McKean is SO GREAT in this show! He played every aspect of it very well, including his demand for $20 million at the end. I think Jimmy was hoping for $1 or $2 million, I loved his face after Chuck asked for $20!

Man, you know that Kim using Chuck's copier # to print documents is going to come back to haunt them, but I have no idea how in what way. The other thing that will probably come back to bite them is Chuck doing the work at all, since he's supposed to only do bro bono work while away from HHM. And of course, he's only away from HHM because of his disability, which leads to the brilliant final scene. It seems Chuck can ignore his "condition" when he's preoccupied enough to forget he has it, as he wanders outside to get something out of Jimmy's car, even using a keyfob to unlock it (a car that shitty had a remote lock? lol). The only thing I didn't like about this was Jimmy calling out to him - wouldn't Jimmy have wanted to quietly observe, and only bring it up to Chuck once he got back inside? I guess it was more dramatic this way :)

As I said, another superb episode. The best thing this show has going for it is that you just can't predict where its going, as this episode proved once again. Also the music continues to be great, both the original score cues by Dave Porter and the needle drop music. Good stuff.

The only odd thing about the episode was Mike's storyline, because it literally doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the episode at all. As Stefan pointed out its a story beat that needs to happen, and I expect his story and Jimmy's to intertwine in the final 2 episodes of the season - but that doesn't make the oddly disconnected scenes this week stand out any less. You have to wonder what kind of underground jobs the veterinarian is going to get for him...

I continued to be amazed at the agent of the guy who plays Nacho. He's gotten main cast credit in all 8 episodes, despite only appearing in a few scenes in 3 of them. Way to go, dude! You rocked that contract!

I know, but I'm just surprised the consider Nacho to be part of the main cast. He's - so far- been a small tertiary character and nothing more.

Maybe Mike will work for him next week?

Pimento

The Mike story line is very good. He gets hired as protection with 2 other guys, both taller and younger then him. One of them think they dont need Mike on the job because he didnt bring a gun. So Mike swiftly shows him why he doesnt think he needs one. Very cool scene.

The job is an exchange of money. Some geek selling pills to Nacho and his crew. The first time we've seen him in ages.

The Jimmy storyline is nothing short of heartbreaking.

Last week we already saw Chuck giving a look of unease when Jimmy said he wanted to work for him. Followed by the scene where Hamlin blows him off.

This week the McGill's take the case to HMM, because it's too big for them to handle. But Hamlin doesn't want to work with Jimmy and just wants to slip him a fat cheque. Or so it seems.

During all of this one cant help but wonder about the scene where Chuck sneaks out in the night to the post box and uses Jimmy's phone.

Chuck called Hamlin to warn him that he didnt want Jimmy to work for his firm as a lawyer. Just like he didnt want to years earlier. Hamlin was just the messenger.

The scene where Jimmy confronts Chuck with this is heartbreaking. He betrayed his brother. But the reasons make sense.

Jimmy will always be Slippin' Jimmy, the conman, the borderline crook, and Chuck knows that. And the concept of Slippin' Jimmy with an actual law degree appalls him.

It's a rather brilliant scene, because even though I felt for Jimmy, I knew that Chuck is essentially right.

Great episode, that last one. That final scene really sells on the show's promise. This season is really riding on the relationship between the two brothers, and now that rift has been created, you can see how Slippin' Jimmy will eventually become Saul Goodman.

Besides, Jimmy must really be living a fantasy if he thinks a multi-million dollar law firm is going to hire someone without a law degree from a legitimate institution.

Michael McKean really is fantastic, isn't he?

Man, that was heartbreaking.

This show is fucking good!

And I'm glad the pig fucker line wasn't censored!

This also might mean Hamlin isn't as much of a dick as previously suspected.

Loved how Kim knew it was Chuck and tried to get Jimmy to change his mind.

It was censored here in central PA, at least in the "on demand" option

Better Call Saul 1x09 Pimento

Nice teaser with Saul and Chuck together enjoying some sunshine and green grass. Sadly with the events that come later, this could be the last time we see them together like this....

Like the previous episode, we are shown the continuing story of Jimmy and Mike in separate stores that don't interact. In Mike's he buys Kaylee a dog, which his daughter in law reluctantly agrees to keep. Then he gets a phone call which sends him off to a "simple protection job". I loved all of this, especially the way he de-guns and throat-jabs the talkative guy. It was a bit odd that the man mountain runs away, but whatever. The actual drug exchange with Nacho was nice too, with Mike providing excellent wisdom and guidance throughout the whole thing. The most important part is their discussion at the end, where Mike discusses the difference between being a bad guy and a criminal, and how the choices we make play the most important role in that. This will directly correlate to the main story.

Over in the main story, some excellent misdirection is used. We get Jimmy and Chuck talking about the minutia of the case, followed by a court hearing for a cease & desist, which felt like the longest time spent in court on the show yet. But just when you think the show is turning in the court procedural some feared the show would be, a long curveball is thrown: Chuck suggests to Jimmy taking the entire court action lawsuit to HHM and letting them take over. This takes some convincing on Chuck's part, but Jimmy ultimately agrees. This sets up a brilliant decision point for Jimmy: Hamlin wants to take the case and give Jimmy $20,000 now and 20% of the final reward when the case is over but not hire Jimmy to work on the case; Jimmy feels he deserves a spot on their staff. This is of course something Jimmy has wanted his getting his law degree while working in the law firm. But Hamlin is so strongly adamently against this, he is willing to lose the entire case rather than hire Jimmy.

This is already an interesting enough story point when the bomb is dropped: It hasn't been Hamlin that's been holding Jimmy back all these years, it's Chuck. When Jimmy figures this out and confronts Chuck about it, it is about as heartbreaking as television gets. Some shows would have built up to this point in 2 or 3 seasons, but Gilligans has it here, in the 9th episode of the first. Chuck's reasons - he views Jimmy as forever Slippin' Jimmy and will always backslide no matter how good he's been lately - are logical and hard to ultimately argue with, BUT STILL, you can't help but feel for Jimmy. Because TRULY, he has been a good man all season. After his brief backslide in the pilot, where he tried to run a scam with the help of those skateboarders, he really has been on the up and up - finding the Kettleman's, returning the money, doing good work with the elderly, and starting a class action lawsuit that helps hundreds of honest people. But this isn't enough for Chuck. No matter what Jimmy did, it never would have been.

This is a huge turning point for both characters. Their relationship will never be the same. And Jimmy is on his way to becoming the criminal lawyer we know from BB. How sad.

I love the parallel between Mike and Jimmy. Both are extremely hard workers. I loved all the hard work Jimmy put into this case, and I love that how Mike scoped out the protection job and learned about Nacho and how he's doing this pill deal outside of his normal gang. I can see him approaching Nacho and wanting to work for him soon.

Michael McKean and Bob Odenkirk were both fantastic in this episode. I really, really home McKean earns an Emmy nomination. He's been terrific from his first scene in the first episode, but the final scene between him and Jimmy is the best work yet.

It's interesting to look back now and realize Hamlin was never a bad guy at all. Sure, it's possibly he doesn't really care for Jimmy that much, BUT it is likely he would have hired him to at the very least look over paperwork once Jimmy got his degree, and if he proved himself move him up the ladder, etc. But all along, he has done as Chuck asked him to. And of course with the leverage Chuck has (the $17 million the firm will owe him if he quits), he really has no choice. Fascinating stuff.

I can't think of a show that is better written than this one. Other than Breaking Bad :)

It has to be said that even in BB where Saul was a criminal lawyer, he always did work hard, was very trustworthy towards his clients and had a code of honor, however cynical it was. He had still some professional integrity left.

The speech by Mike was great, and basically shows how he can live with himself.

One more ep to go, named Marco. And it really could be anything. I have no idea how the season is going to end and I love it!

Prequels very rarely work because all too often we know what it going to happen in the end. Better Call Saul actually uses that to its advantage.

It has really struck me how unpredictable this show is. You think you know where a plot arc is going, and suddenly it all changes, but is still logical. I love it!

I can't imagine what will happen in the finale, but it will end a truly great first season. The character detail is really quite something.

It has really struck me how unpredictable this show is. You think you know where a plot arc is going, and suddenly it all changes, but is still logical. I love it!

Exactly this. Exactly what makes Gilligan's two shows so far a notch above the rest.

Exactly this. Exactly what makes Gilligan's two shows so far a notch above the rest.

Yeah - really, so far (with the exception of the opening Cinnabon scene and a Tuco appearance) it hasn't really been a Breaking Bad spin-off. Odenkirk is playing a completely new character with a different name and a different situation. It's the best I could have hoped for when I heard they were making this show.

I would never say he is playing a complely different character.

Yeah, I may have worded that wrong. He's proto-Saul at this point - obviously there are connections, and clearly the show is going to get there. But if they had not announced this show as a Breaking Bad prequel and they had decided to call it "Better Call Slipping Jimmy," the show would totally stand on its own without needing to tie in to the other series.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far!

Jimmy is absolutely the same character as Saul. Yes, he is in a drastically different place in his life, and has shown this season to truly work hard and do good for people. But the Slippin' Jimmy stories and Rolex-scam backstories show he has been the same grey character AT HEART for his whole adult life. Chuck knows this more than anyway, even Jimmy himself at this point.

Beyond that, there are many more illusions to Breaking Bad. You didn't mention Mike - who really is the exact same character, just early in his murdering career rather than later into it. Also there was the same nursing home, probably some other same locations, and the same Albuquerque aesthetic throughout.

One thing I keep meaning to bring up but always forget to: I LOVE Jimmy's constant movie references. I think he has at least 1 and sometimes 2 or 3 in every single episode. Was this a characteristic of him on Breaking Bad at all? If it was, I don't remember.

But the Slippin' Jimmy stories and Rolex-scam backstories show he has been the same grey character AT HEART for his whole adult life. Chuck knows this more than anyway, even Jimmy himself at this point.

You see, I have a directly opposite opinion of this - I feel like James McGill is very capable of leaving "Slipping Jimmy" behind- that, seeing the success of his hard and heartfelt work, all of it legitimate, in elder law, he was going the straight and narrow. Chuck is the motor that keeps Slipping Jimmy going, diminishing James' accomplishments and destroying his self-worth (secretly denying Jimmy's promotion after he gets his law degree, and destroying James at the end of the most recent episode).

I dont think so.

Throughout the season Jimmy has been trying to please and impress Chuck. Which has held back his more criminal impulses. But now he knows that he will never ever truly impress Chuck, who actually held him back.

Well yes, I agree with both of you. Jimmy is showing this season to be a dedicated hard worker who wants to leave Slippin' Jimmy behind and become a real lawyer. He wants to impress his brother Chuck, he wants to impress Kim, and he seems to want to do it for himself - he seems to truly want to be a good lawyer.

Chuck's refusal to accept that as a possibility is of course preventing Jimmy from showing if he ever would have stayed on the straight and narrow.

It all ties into Mike's philosophy he stated with Price after the drug exchange.

I loved the inclusion of Mike's "the law =/= morality" lesson in the same episode as Chuck's super immoral "The law is sacred" tirade.

Oh definitely, that's why I said

I love that how Mike scoped out the protection job and learned about Nacho and how he's doing this pill deal outside of his normal gang. I can see him approaching Nacho and wanting to work for him soon.

It wouldn't feel out of place to include Kuby, Huell, Skinny Pete, or Badger either..... unless the actors look too old for the younger versions they're supposed to be playing

I really never want to see Jesse or the White family on the show

Right, that's the huge issue with him. They really couldn't make him look convincingly younger unless they CGIed him or something.

Jesse knew Saul before Walter met Saul? I don't remember that