James Horner - Wolf Totem (2015)

Jay

37921.jpg

1. Leaving for the Country (Main Theme) (2:17)

2. Wolves Stalking Gazelles (4:19)

3. An Offering to Tengger / Chen Saves the Last Wolf Pup (9:22)

4. Wolves Attack the Horses (4:49)

5. A Red Ribbon (3:20)

6. The Frozen Lake (4:42)

7. Discovering Hidden Dangers (2:46)

8. Little Wolf (3:27)

9. Scaling the Walls (4:07)

10. Suicide Pact (2:17)

11. Hunting the Wolves (6:04)

12. Death of A’ba (1:35)

13. Return to the Wild (9:52)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/02/10/wolf-totem-soundtrack-details/

Can't wait for this, and his other three 2015 scores!

Well it's up for pre-order on qobuz now

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/le-dernier-loup-bande-originale-du-film-de-jean-jacques-annaud-james-horner/3299039969823

Hopefully a physical CD is planned as well, and this isn't a Karate Kid situation again.

I guess I'll order it from Amazon FR if no domestic version becomes available. Of course, after the Jupiter Ascending debacle, I suppose I can wait until after the film opens in the US.

I hope Horner has found something new and fresh from his toolkit for this one.

just by the cover you can tell it's going to be a good score

I'd love to hear a good James Horner score just like others, but what makes everyone so excited about this particular title?

WOLF TOTEM: CONTEST AND AUDIO EXCERPT
In partnership with Milan Music, we offer a chance to win the new album by James Horner. Five copies are up for grabs.
Exclusively we share with you a listen of the first track.

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/wolf-totem-a-contest-and-a-audio-excerpt/

From that link:

Here are the latest official news from Milan Music concerning the release of the soundtrack:
The album is currently in digital pre-order on iTunes France / Benelux / Switzerland, where it will be released on February 23. It should be released in CD in the territories before the end of the month (in Switzerland on February 27).

The ascending brass at 1:00 remind me so much of something, a classical piece, but I can't remember which one. Wagner, perhaps?

Still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the hell of out that piece. Now that's the sound all these new superhero movies should have! Or at least one or two.

Milan Records posted the following to the FSM thread for this score

Dear all,
Milan Records is releasing the soundtrack in Europe and Mainland China where the film has been released so far.
The album will come out on CD / Digital / Vinyl in North America this year. It is a promise.
We are very excited about our first collaboration with James Horner.
I will keep you posted with news.
Best
JC

I've been listening to this a couple of times lately, and I'm liking it more and more. I wasn't as euphoric as everyone else when I first heard it, and I'm still not totally sold -- but it's certainly one of the highlights of the year, no doubt about it.

Milan has promised a retail CD is coming in the US when the film opens here.

Since there is no word whether the film will even be released in the UK, I just ordered the French CD today. I like this score very much (again, you can read my review here).

Karol

ASM + The da Vinci Code = Wolf Totem ?

Not even one of those stupid 'hold the thief!' observations, i just found it very obvious that there are melodic intervals at play that are typical Zimmer which bleed into other composer's works and very much so here - which i don't find offensive but worth singling out. Horner's pioneering days are long over, anyway.

Got my CD today. The cover and a note from director are in French. But the credits and track listings are in English. Strange.

It also says the score was co-orchestrated by... Simon Rhodes?

Karol

Oh yes, you're right. But it's still a big surprise. I knew Rhodes had a background in classical music recordings at Abbey Road. But orchestrating?

Karol

He's used a different composer on every film, and considering that he's deliberately trying to follow up Aliens, I think he'll want Horner.

Can't wait to tell you "I told you so!" when the composer will be announced!