The future for the Wachowskis

Jay

I just read this interesting article

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/netflix-chief-says-4-hour-cut-of-cloud-atlas-will-blow-you-away-wachowskis-doubt-theyll-get-big-studio-budgets-again-20150210

With Jupiter Ascending tanking, the Wachowskis are pretty sure they'll never be given a big budget again. The only one who seems to have faith in them right now is the head of Netflix, who gave them a show that starts in May, and who has seen a four hour cut of Cloud Atlas he says is "mind blowing."

It's a shame, considering they do really push for something new in the blockbuster genre. There's just no room right now for anything besides Marvel or DC, unfortunately. Honestly surprised they got this far, Speed Racer was a huge bomb.

Can you hear us, Hollywood? We're going to be honest with you. We hate this place. This zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it, we can't stand it any longer. It's the lack of tolerance for real creativity... if there is such a thing. We feel saturated by it. We can taste your mediocrity. And every time we do, we fear we've somehow become infected by it. It's repulsive, isn't it? We must get out of here, we must get free.

I really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending. It had an entertaining story, fun action, beautiful visuals, and an amazing score. I don't understand why the critics are hounding it like they are. The plot requires you to think, but it's by no means incomprehensible. I saw it with my mother, who is a Channing Tatum fan but doesn't care for science fiction, and she was able to follow along just fine (she really enjoyed it as well).

I think it would be interesting to see the Wachowskis do smaller budget, high concept films (and keep Giacchino as composer, of course!). I bet they won't get the opportunity to do another big budget original film for a while, unless they cave in and do more Matrix films. At least they'll have Sense8 to keep them busy for a while, assuming it does well enough for Netflix to renew it...

I still don't get why Guardians of the Universe was a mega hit and John Carter and Jupiter Ascending tanked.

One thing's for sure it's not good for Giacchino's career either

Is it a bad thing for a couple of galactic-budget filmmakers to be chastised a bit and have to step it down for a while? Once they went into Full Pretentious Mode in the Matrix sequels, I've been wary of their efforts (though, as I've said, I did enjoy Cloud Atlas.) I only wish it had been Michael Bay instead these two, dammit.

I bet they won't get the opportunity to do another big budget original film for a while, unless they cave in and do more Matrix films.

Oh, for the love of all that's holy, please no. . . .

I still don't get why Guardians of the Universe was a mega hit and John Carter and Jupiter Ascending tanked.

Because Guardians was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. I can't speak to John Carter—still haven't seen that one—but Jupiter doesn't appear to have a thread of humor in it, wry, dry, or open fly. People are just getting tired of heavy, pretentious "blockbusters."

I think if Jerry can survive a career of flops, Giacchino can take a few.

Absolutely.

Don't think he particularly cares about the success of the films he scores.

As it should be.

Really. . . .

Well, I'm just going on the impression from the previews, which makes it look like it's too serious for its own good. (And maybe that's one of the reasons it's tanking.)

I think if Jerry can survive a career of flops, Giacchino can take a few.

Exactly! Every composer has had their up and downs for scores.

Jupiter Ascending might be a flop, but the score sure isn't!

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The brothers who became siblings. The siblings who became sisters. The sisters who defied the Hollywood system. Striking story! But now, the people want to know how the story ends. Only a famous career death will do.

"Your faults as a son is my failure as a father."

But daddy, I'm your daughter... 

<long exhale... >

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It would be interesting to study this family and see if there is a genetic disposition towards anomalous sexual/gender identification or if environment and nurture might have been a factor.

Usually the whole nature vs nurture debate doesn't make a lot of sense, because it turns out that almost everything has one (or several) partially heritable factor, and multiple enviromental factors, and they change each other. There are heredable genetic components even for things like self control (this makes gene editing a very promising thing). Usually, you want a biological cause for things, because if there's a problem it tends to be easier to fix. (For example, if you want kids to be better at school, you are going to need not having lead in their drinking water, getting rid of air pollution, adapting school hours to kid and teenager's natural daily cycles, etc). I don't know if there are genetics of the brain associated with gender. As for sexuality, they've mostly traditionally only looked at alleles in cis gay men, showing it seemed partially heritable (keep in mind that atraction is also learnt). They looked a tiny bit into women, mixing up bi and lesbian women. They probably have never looked into similar alleles in straight people and in trans people of any orientation. The focus of modern science often has biases like this that don't allow to look at the whole picture and it's annoying. This is stuff that a biology student explained to me so I may be misinterpreting something.

I certainly hope with the relative "hype" there is now concerned transgender people some actual useful scientific research will be done. Before parents are advised to put their child on hormone therapy to ease the transition into a new identity because he was seen drawing with a pink crayon, or she was seen watching football....

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I certainly hope with the relative "hype" there is now concerned transgender people some actual useful scientific research will be done. Before parents are advised to put their child on hormone therapy to ease the transition into a new identity because he was seen drawing with a pink crayon, or she was seen watching football....

I suppose you'r not being serious I've never actually seen a case of this. The parental trend seems to be or either prohibiting a child from fucking up gender roles, or refusing to accept the kid because either a) they don't follow the gender role for that gender, or b) they should be able to do girly or boyish things wihtout being a girl or a boy (so essentially any excuse against it will do). Trans kids usually have to fight quite a bit. Many don't. It can end up messing with your head. You learn the rules, play being boyish because otherwise it's scary, and you don't know anymore what you would really be like if you had genuine freedom, because you don't have freedom in either direction. I was told it was surprising because of me being usually boyish, and I had to point out that my sisters (logically) were very similar to me, all three being raised in a similar context, the difference being that they had had more freedom than me regarding some aspects of self expression. Anyways, one can't expect trans children to defend themselves with elaborate feminism. At a certain age I was more worried about playing with Lego.

Of course I wasnt serious. It was a commentary on the enormous hype that seems to have erupted after the Caithlyn Jenner "coming-out", in particular the sudden prominence of transgenders, or "aspiring" transgenders in high schools, and those schools having to come up with policies regarding restroom use, etc...