The future for the Wachowskis

Jay

6 hours ago, Drax said:

A girl just dumped me because she thought I was "too feminine" for her and not enough of a "manly man".

I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to think on this! She was great in bed though.

You're after the wrong type.  That's the kind of bitch that'll fall apart at the slightest trouble.  You want the ones who can smack you around and are proud of it.  They're more stable people. 

No, I believe that we are all equal. Nobody knows it better than the other one. If Koray says that race movie is genius it simply means the naysayers didn't look hard enough. 

Alex

I've never seen Speed Racer.  Or Cloud Atlas for that matter.

Bound and The Matrix are awesome (though I haven't seen either in over a decade, so who knows if they hold up now).  Matrix 2 and 3 were terrible (apart from that cool highway chase scene in 2).  Great scores, though.

Jupiter Ascending was silly fun.

The other Matrixes never held up, not then, not now. However, if somebody says they are better than the first one then who am I to say it's not?

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

However, if somebody says they are better than the first one then who am I to say it's not?

Has anyone over the age of 12 ever said that?

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Matrix still holds up today. Reloaded and Revolutions don't. (barring occasional moments of spectacle)

I remember a lot of spectacle in the sequels falling completely flat, but I can't say more without rewatching. The direction in the original is stunning.

The first Matrix is brilliant and endlessly watchable.  I still like Reloaded, it introduced some interesting elements.  Revolutions was a waste though.  The high-school level philosophical statements were tedious.

Bound is great new-noir with great cinematography, and as far as I'm concerned, a masterpiece of filmmaking.

I didn't make it past 10 minutes of Speed Racer, but I can see the allure for some people.

Regardless of their recent track record I do want to see Cloud Atlas.  It seems to be quite divisive.  I recall Roger Ebert loving it, giving it 4 stars, and writing separate articles about it.

I've never seen the Speed Racer cartoon, but the movie is like one long, crazy cartoon - weirdly with a good helping of actual emotion re: family issues, and what may be Giacchino's best score.

15 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Regardless of their recent track record I do want to see Cloud Atlas.  It seems to be quite divisive.  I recall Roger Ebert loving it, giving it 4 stars, and writing separate articles about it.

It's even divisive within single people depending on the day, if I'm any indication.

The beginning of Ebert's review is somewhat funny in that regard.  He has no idea what he saw, would be at great pains to describe it, but also knows he enjoyed the hell out of it.

I've been more curious about that movie after-the-fact than any other in the last 5 years or so.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never seen Speed Racer.  Or Cloud Atlas for that matter.

You should. It's not perfect, but it's worth watching nonetheless.

23 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's even divisive within single people depending on the day, if I'm any indication.

Yes, it's a bit the same for me.

I REALLY liked Perfume: The Story of a Murderer so I'm hoping some of that carries into Cloud Atlas

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You're after the wrong type.  That's the kind of bitch that'll fall apart at the slightest trouble.  You want the ones who can smack you around and are proud of it.  They're more stable people. 

I think looking after her leukemia-ravaged father + going to work + uni was fucking her up in the head, too.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

I've never seen the Speed Racer cartoon, but the movie is like one long, crazy cartoon - weirdly with a good helping of actual emotion re: family issues, and what may be Giacchino's best score.

Cut out the kid and his monkey and you've got a really solid and fun action flick. The unfortunate part is that they make it nearly unwatchable. But otherwise, the visual style, editing, and score are all top notch. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Has anyone over the age of 12 ever said that?

If I see what entertains people today then I'm not sure there is a difference between kids and adults. We live in an age where kids and parents share the same favorite movies and music. Socially, that's a good thing, but culturally, it means that we are in the dark ages.

Alex

• 1 year later...