Michael Giacchino's Inside Out (2015)

Jay

Should be on Spotify by midnight here.

I'm seeing the movie in 33 hours! There's a special screening complete with a Q&A

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationscoop/fathom-events-sneaks-inside-out-tuesday-with-exclusive-behind-the-scenes-footage-20150615

Absolutely love the main theme and it's appearance in 'The Joy of End Credits'.

It's my favorite Giacchino theme this year with some of the Tomorrowland cues close behind!

I so want to listen to it, but for some reason spotify hates me. I can listen to it on my phone with crappy headphones or not at all. doesn't work on laptop. does anyone know why?

Nope.

Try installing the Spotify app on you laptop instead of using the website

Recently UK score availability has been disappointing, especially Amazon UK. I struggled to get Jurassic World and it looks like I might not get Inside Out that I ordered. I still haven't been able to get Tomorrowland. They must all of a sudden hate Giacchino.

Playing through this right now. Really digging it. This is where Giacchino's forte lies.

I like the colours. Especially the synths. But yeah, I can see how the big-band sound can tire the ears. But it's probably his most effective score of the year.

Haven't finished it yet, so not sure how I'd rank things, but this is the kind of sound that Giacchino works best in, I feel.

How's this look for a theme list?

Riley

01 Bundle of Joy 0:08-0:38, 1:58-2:49

02 Team Building 0:24-1:30

05 Free Skating 0:15-0:50

06 First Day Of School 0:00-1:55

15 Down In The Dumps 1:35-1:40

21 Rainbow Flyer 0:17-1:20

23 Joy Turns To Sadness / A Growing Personality 4:42-5:25, 7:10-7:49

24 Joy of Credits 0:06-2:45

Sadness

02 Team Building 0:00-0:16, 1:45-2:05

15 Down In The Dumps 0:50-1:27

Joy

03 Nomanisone Island / National Movers 1:15-3:49

20 Tears of Joy 1:30-3:20

23 Joy Turns To Sadness / A Growing Personality 5:39-7:03

24 Joy of Credits 5:47-8:00

Theme 4

04 Overcoming Sadness 0:12-0:51

Theme 5

10 The Forgetters 0:00-0:50

22 Chasing Down Sadness 0:00-0:40

24 Joy of Credits 2:45-4:55

Theme 6

11 Chasing The Pink Elephant 0:04-1:55

14 Imagination Land 0:06-1:25

Theme 7

18 Escaping The Subconcious 1:50-2:09

UPDATE: Revised theme list here.

I'm seeing the movie in 6 hours and I'm sure the themes will be easily identifiable there.

I just threw something on there so it wouldn't be Theme 2 Theme 3 Theme 4 the whole way down.

I'll report back after seeing the film tonight.

Joy Turns To Sadness / A Growing Personality and Joy of Credits are two great tracks.
Parts of the soundscape of this score remind me of 1960s jazzy Johnny Williams.

My favorite theme is the one that Jay has provisionally called Joy

I am absolutely loving this score. I "got" it on the first listen, unlike "Tomorrowland" and "Jurassic World." It was also well recorded, which is unusual for Giacchino. I love his quirky main theme on the piano as it appears in track one. I haven't read the track titles because of potential spoilers.

After seeing the film, here's my revised theme list.

Main Theme
01 Bundle of Joy 0:08-0:38, 1:58-2:49
02 Team Building 0:24-1:30
05 Free Skating 0:15-0:50
06 First Day Of School 0:00-1:55
15 Down In The Dumps 1:35-1:40
21 Rainbow Flyer 0:17-1:20
23 Joy Turns To Sadness / A Growing Personality 4:42-5:25, 7:10-7:49
24 Joy of Credits 0:06-2:45

Core Memories
03 Nomanisone Island / National Movers 1:15-3:49
20 Tears of Joy 1:30-3:20
23 Joy Turns To Sadness / A Growing Personality 5:39-7:03
24 Joy of Credits 5:47-8:00

The Forgetters
10 The Forgetters 0:00-0:50
24 Joy of Credits 2:45-4:55

Bing Bong
11 Chasing The Pink Elephant 0:04-1:55
14 Imagination Land 0:06-1:25

Third Act Ostinato
19 We Can Still Stop Her 0:00-0:50, 1:00-1:25, 1:47-2:30
22 Chasing Down Sadness 0:00-0:50

There really isn't any unreleased music in the film; the OST should be pretty close to complete apart from maybe a few really short cues and some source music (Joy playing accordion and Bing Bong's song; TripleDent Gum Jingle is on the OST in full).

Also my physical copy arrived from Amazon today. It comes in an old school black jewel case rather than a clear one - haven't seen one of these in a while!

The CD contains a bonus track that isn't on the digital release, though Giacchino had nothing to do with it and it's not from Inside Out. It's the music for the short film, Lava, that plays in front of the film in theaters. Its not score, but a song. The song was nice in the short, but I dunno how often I'll want to listen to on its own.

The front and back cover is designed to be like an LP for whatever reason.

The booklet contains a nice note from Pete Docter, the AFM musicians list, and all the lyrics to the Lava song.

Also in the credits, I noticed that TripleDent Gum Jingle wasn't written by Giacchino; it says music by Andrea Datzman, lyrics by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson.

I like the main theme (only have heard a couple of times). I wonder if it will stick. Like in a few days will I get up in the morning and doodle it on the piano.

Slightly off topic, but with 4 scores, it would be a proper tragedy if MG still fails to land an academy award nomination this year. It has eluded him since his win and much lesser composers have racked up nom after nom. I think this score is the most likely to get him back into some awards conversation.

Inside Out in the only one that stands a chance to get a nom... I love it but I don't see it getting one.

Recently UK score availability has been disappointing, especially Amazon UK. I struggled to get Jurassic World and it looks like I might not get Inside Out that I ordered. I still haven't been able to get Tomorrowland. They must all of a sudden hate Giacchino.

Looks like Amazon UK finally started shipping out those. :)

Karol

I saw the film yesterday. This was my first exposure to Giacchino's score, and while I think it certainly supported the emotions of the film, it's not really something I'd want to buy. Too quirky and happy-go-lucky for my listening tastes, at least at this point in my life.

• 1 month later...

"...and the Oscar for Best Original Score for 2015, goes to...(pauses to open, and read, envelope)...Michael Giacchino!"

I have not heard a finer score, this year, and I don't suppose I shall (yes, I do know what's released in mid-December!).

Mark Olivarez is rolling over in his grave.

In Giacchino's grave?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...