Leonard Nimoy - 1931-2015

Romão

Remembering when I saw him live (sometime around 1990). He talked about his character's earliest development for "The Cage." Spock was supposed to be a loud, energetic guy, to offset the introverted, quiet nature of Captain Pike. You can see some of that in the episode. He doesn't just report, he proclaims. When the show went back to the drawing board, Nimoy was the only cast member they retained. Spock went back to the drawing board, too. His character's future portrayal would be dictated by the personality of the new captain of the Enterprise. He would again have to play an opposite personality type.

At that point, Nimoy smiled. "Then they brought in Errol Flynn. . . ." (The audience exploded in laughter.)

So that's where the cool, logical archetype for both Spock and the rest of his species comes from. They all had to be the antithesis of the most hyperactive guy on the planet.

R.I.P Mr. Nimoy. You lived long, and you prospered...and so did we.

As a tribute I shall watch the best film that he directed (no, it was not Three Men And A Baby ! :rolleyes: ) I shall also watch Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. His is a masterclass of detatchment. As the "is-he,isn't-he?" therapist, he is utterly, charming, utterly plausible, and utterly cold.

He was a much better actor than people give him credit for.

I like his final tweet

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

It has something of the - "All those....moments, will be lost. Like....tears....in......rain" about it.

Can but add that it's a quiet sort of devastation. Odd how people you never met and feel somehow you know, affect you when passing. He had a great long life. Since an old copy of Star Trek IV on VHS was put on to keep me occupied as a kid on to now. Not just Trek but Mission Impossible or even Three Men & a Baby and if you want to go there, TJ Hooker. My late friend got to meet him at a Collectormania back in 2008 I think. Never have met a Trek actor other than Koenig on the streets of London and that was brief.

I decided, not just because I watched II-IV recently, to watch Star Trek V last night. It won't be what they'll all be remembered for but somehow it seemed right with the Holy Trinity as it was then on show and Spock coming to the fore.

He's not really dead, so long as we remember him.

nimoywaist_big.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...