RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Incanus

Booked my tickets for this while at Back to the Future yesterday.

21st Century Orchestra are sensational. I didn't notice a single bum note yesterday and the timing was perfect. Similar for Star Trek & Into Darkness last year :D

Don't get me wrong, mate. I'd love to go there, for all this stuff they're showing. But it just simply isn't financially feasible for me.

Need a better job!

No, I actually really do.

Karol

Here is a trailer linked for Raiders from the Film Concerts Live website:

https://vimeo.com/129846102

It looks like E.T. will also be getting the 'live in concert' treatment, with the world premiere at the Hollywood Bowl in September this year!

http://filmconcertslive.com/cinema-concerts-live-brings-two-spielberg-classics-to-concert-halls-for-first-time/

It looks like E.T. will also be getting the 'live in concert' treatment, with the world premiere at the Hollywood Bowl in September this year!

http://filmconcertslive.com/cinema-concerts-live-brings-two-spielberg-classics-to-concert-halls-for-first-time/

Yep ;)

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25092

Booked my tickets for this while at Back to the Future yesterday.

21st Century Orchestra are sensational. I didn't notice a single bum note yesterday and the timing was perfect. Similar for Star Trek & Into Darkness last year :D

Which performance, Alan?

Any-one fancy a meet?

Is any-one going to "Planet Of The Apes" live at the Royal Festival Hall, on 28th August?

I'm at the 7pm. Second tier, box 25 :P. Same place I was for BTTF

Not a great picture but it's a great view from there

post-1714-0-94523600-1436866392.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Royal Albert Hall website is now listing extra performances of this on Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th March 2016, although tickets do not appear to have gone on sale yet (maybe they are waiting to see how well the Saturday performances sell first?).

Also, any film music fans in the London area at a loose end on the Friday 11th March would almost certainly enjoy this concert by the same orchestra and at the same venue:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2016/western-music-in-concert/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2015enewsletterJuly16&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=

How did BttF go down, considering it's one of the most sparsely scored films there is?

I've been to 3 'live to projection' concerts (Gladiator, FotR and Star Trek), all of which were almost wall-to-wall scoring. All were good, but Trek was unforgettable.

How did BttF go down, considering it's one of the most sparsely scored films there is?

BTTF had a bunch of extra music added in the live concert.

I've attended two of these concerts and the fact that the film was playing (with sound) wasn't as much as a distraction as I thought.

I would obviously prefer to have a performance of Raiders full score without the film, but that would never happen. This format is quite marketable.

So I'm a JW fan, a huge Indy fan, and a Londoner...there's no way I'm not going to see this. I've bought tickets!

This is the first time I'm going to something like this, but I've always wanted to experience a live orchestra playing during a film screening. I'm very interested in how it'll turn out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fantastic! If only I could go...

I wish they would do more events like this in Chile. So far we've only gotten Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Gladiator and The Godfather, but no Williams score live-to-picture yet.

I really wish I could be in Lucerne this weekend. Alas, all I can do is post pictures from Twitter.

Here's another photo someone posted from the event:

I was there, meeting with an old friend. Great concert! The Luzerne concert hall, one of the best acoustics in the world, seemed virtually sold out. Some impressions:

Sound from the movie was hollow and difficult to understand. It overshadowed some more subtle passages like the Basket game, unfortunately. Other times, when the brass was on full, the orchestra drowned out the movie sound, which was fine by me. This shows how much dynamic range is reduced in the mixing of the movie sound. I especially liked the fat tuba sound!

after a while there was a small synchro glitch between movie picture and sound which was corrected after a while. no big deal.

Ark theme e.g. in Map room was without choir which was imitated by synthesizer. Ditto for some exotic instruments like cymbalon. OK for me.

There was an intermission when Indy starts digging at the Well of Souls. As exit music into the intermission the orchestra played a rendition of the Raiders march from the movie, don´t know exactly which. After intermission they first played Adventures of Mutt from Indy 4 without announcement, but it fitted nicely. Lead directly into part2 of the movie.

On the whole the orchestra played almost perfectly, perhaps a very few notes not quite there, but impressive feat for a complex soundtrack like this. Seemed always in sync with the picture. The fantastic concert hall enhanced the music. I was sitting in the middle of the last row on the most upper balcony and heard perfectly.

There was a whole Indiana Jones experience with dinner before the concert in an adjoining room, but very expensive. Did not participate that, the concert was enough for me. I came extra from Heidelberg to Luzern for this and no regrets!

On the whole the orchestra played almost perfectly, perhaps a very few notes not quite there, but impressive feat for a complex soundtrack like this. Seemed always in sync with the picture. The fantastic concert hall enhanced the music. I was sitting in the middle of the last row on the most upper balcony and heard perfectly.

How did the orchestra get on with the Desert Chase sequence, Hanser? I imagine that it must be very tricky to synchronise it to picture in a live performance.

Desert Chase was spot on. Some minor performance issues elsewhere (Basket Chase in particular) but I'm sure the second performance tomorrow will be fine.

The technical issues with the audio of the film were more distracting, with sync drifting noticeably several times. Again, I fully expect this to be resolved for future performances.

No tech problems this evening. Pretty much perfect aside from one or two brass clams (easily done in this score). There's a fun little 'score restore' in there for people who enjoy spotting that sort of thing. :)

• 4 weeks later...

And as such with the "mtv generation (s)", most everything musical in the now, *has* to be accompanied by "visuals" so the audience won't get "bored".

How come other orchestras don't do the same with "the 1812 overture?"
Oh, that's right, because the music was written *first*!

Does anyone here, remember listening to a song on the radio, and imagining what happened, in their minds, without any "pictures?" 

Oh yeah, I am aware, that in the early days of motion pictures, the music *had* to be supplied, by an "in house organist", because the "recording process" had been invented, but not adapted, for motion picture use.

But today, since most everyone does not possess their *own* imagination, we are expected to fish out $$$ for something that we can still get from home? And much more cheaply?

Symphony orchestras shouldn't be "darked out" in favor of a movie that everyone has seen hundreds of times before.

And anyone attending a symphony performance, *anywhere*, should be paying attention to the *orchestra*.

9 hours ago, skyy38 said:

And as such with the "mtv generation (s)", most everything musical in the now, *has* to be accompanied by "visuals" so the audience won't get "bored".

How come other orchestras don't do the same with "the 1812 overture?"
Oh, that's right, because the music was written *first*!

Does anyone here, remember listening to a song on the radio, and imagining what happened, in their minds, without any "pictures?" 

Oh yeah, I am aware, that in the early days of motion pictures, the music *had* to be supplied, by an "in house organist", because the "recording process" had been invented, but not adapted, for motion picture use.

But today, since most everyone does not possess their *own* imagination, we are expected to fish out $$$ for something that we can still get from home? And much more cheaply?

Symphony orchestras shouldn't be "darked out" in favor of a movie that everyone has seen hundreds of times before.

And anyone attending a symphony performance, *anywhere*, should be paying attention to the *orchestra*.

Indeed. But Think about the quality and acoustics of the live orchestra.