RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Incanus

These are always enjoyable.  I've been to Raiders and E.T.

One gripe I have with these shows, is the amount of applause and noise when the credits roll.  I mean, it's usually the best music to be heard, and most people talk and applaud all the way through.

I mean if they ever did Temple of Doom, guarantee you would not be able to hear the beginning of the end credits.  It's slightly annoying and I wish they would tell people not to applaud until after the credits.

Or maybe just bypass the thread titles as you're scrolling down the page?  How do these threads not fit in the existing forum?

JOHN WILLIAMS

Anything and everything John Williams related! His film, television, and concert work, his appearances on TV and in person, films he's scored, everything!

Sorry Justin, but a separate thread for each Williams LTP concert is more than justified.  If you don't care, just don't open them!

16 hours ago, Bellosh said:

One gripe I have with these shows, is the amount of applause and noise when the credits roll.  I mean, it's usually the best music to be heard, and most people talk and applaud all the way through.

I mean if they ever did Temple of Doom, guarantee you would not be able to hear the beginning of the end credits.  It's slightly annoying and I wish they would tell people not to applaud until after the credits.

I know music venues offer 'open rehearsals' concerts, but I rarely see ones for the LTP concerts.  

I would think that the theatre would play the film, but not in its entirety.  Only the scenes where there's music and the orchestra would play it.  This way, the audience would not be emotionally invested in the pieces of the film, instead of a whole, and they would applause after each music cue is over.

I rarely see open rehearsals for LTP programs, however, I did catch this one from the MSO:

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2019/unpacking-the-score-mso-at-the-movies/

Maybe @crumbs can set me straight on what goes on at the MSO's "Unpacking The Score" series.

For what it's worth, I've been to 2 CE3K concerts in different USA cities this year (we, Americans, can be a loud bunch at these concerts) and during the film's end credits, the audience were on their best behavior--they were quiet (except for the one guy that coughed alot in one city).  In fact, there were no applause when JW's name came up.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, Bellosh said:

Come to the Netherlands! Everybody is always really quiet during these things. Must say I was really shocked when I saw videos of the NY phil and the way the audience behaves.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

Come to the Netherlands! Everybody is always really quiet during these things. Must say I was really shocked when I saw videos of the NY phil and the way the audience behaves.

Agreed, I watched a YouTube video of the end credits of A New Hope played live to projection and the crowd absolutely roared as soon as the credits hit, really missing that amazing transition from the Throne Room to the End Credits.

25 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

God forbid people have fun. 

You don’t find it disrespectful to the musicians who’re playing?

15 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

I doubt they feel disrespected. You know damn well that these are exactly the types of movies that illicit audience reactions. You expect them to not applaud at the end?

A short applause when the credits start to roll or a little laugh here and there is normal of course, but what I mean is talking loudly during a performance or cheering when the name of your favorite actress appears in the credits.

It’s a musical performance in the first place, not just a movie screening.

I hoped it was clear I wasn’t talking about that. There’s a line between audience response and misbehaving in a concert hall.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dieter Stark said:

I can just imagine attending a Home Alone live to projection with JWFanners being disgusted by the audience laughing during the movie.

That's not what I was talking about at all.  I was talking about applauding and talking during the end credits suites of these performances.

I expect people to laugh at any scene that is funny in these performances, and that's not even annoying.  I just think the applause of the MOVIE ending, not the MUSIC ending is slightly annoying.

• 6 months later...
45 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I've got my tix for this next Saturday here in Austin, TX!  Unfortunately due to budget I could only afford the upper balcony but still looking forward to it!  

Saw this a few years ago at the Boston Symphony Orchestra and it was awesome.

Never in my life did I think I'd hear "Washington Men/Indy's Home" live.😍

Map Room scene was spine tingling as well.  Be sure to tell us what they play during the intermission.  I believe they played "The Adventures of Mutt" when I went.

What an amazing concert!  @Bellosh they did play Mutt’s theme at the end of intermission, which was a pleasant surprise.  Unfortunately there were a few folks who left at the beginning of the end credits, soooo annoying and disrespectful!  My only complaint is that since I was in the upper balcony the screen was so small and lacking in quality, but it was still a great time.  

2B2963C3-9670-435A-8208-32694D1A8CF6.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Looks like this LTP concert in Switzerland will go on tonight with full-orchestra and no audience-capacity limit, but patrons are required to wear masks at the hall. 

City Lights Symphony Orchestra at the KKL Luzern

https://www.citylightconcerts.ch/event/indiana-jones-kkl-luzern/

Concert Dress Rehearsal Video: 

No LTP concerts are happening in the USA right now or towards the end of the year.

As an orchestral trumpet player who’s basically not allowed to perform in public because of covid health protocols, even if we have only 5 active cases in the whole province of Nova Scotia, I find this somewhat troubling. You wouldn’t catch me in a full concert hall in Europe these days...or anywhere else for that matter. 

From the Citi Lights Concerts’ Facebook page, a comment is made about the lack of choir in the ‘Raiders’ concert version. 

A rep from the orchestra made this response:

"Yes, the choir would have had a prominent role in this sequence. But besides of this particular scene, the choir is only heard about two more times within the whole score. In total only around 5 minutes with a choir. There is one passage in the score that does sound like a choir would sing, but it's actually an Ondes Martenot playing (according to the conductor's score).

Because of these very brief choir moments, John Williams himself decided to exclude the choir score parts for this live-to-projection production (according to the production team) and have it performed on synthesizer.  But we sure hope to have a choir featured within one of our next concerts again!"

On 10/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, SyncMan said:

There is one passage in the score that does sound like a choir would sing, but it's actually an Ondes Martenot playing (according to the conductor's score).

Interesting, is that true? Would that mean the Ondes Martenot is in the score as recorded? Or in the score as it's meant to be performed live?

• 2 years later...

This image now appears among the rentals in Disney Concerts' website.

https://www.disneyconcerts.com/concerts/

Sample 2.png

This portion of the image interests me.

sample.png

So, does that mean, from here on end, if an orchestra wants to do a rental of the ROTLA LTP concert, they have to go to Disney Concerts and not to Film Concerts Live!, anymore?

For posterity, here is a page of a digital program from a July 2023 concert of the ROTLA LTP from the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra where it reads that the rental is 'produced by Film Concerts Live!'

sample 4.png

Here is a page from the Pacific Symphony Orchestra's digital program from last August's Raiders LTP concert that has the Disney Concerts logo.

Program.png

Here are some other images from other orchestras/venues using the Raiders LTP-concert rental from Disney where their Disney Concerts logo and/or copyright notice are displayed.

Raiders - Germany.png

Raiders-Indiana.pngRaiders Tucson.png

Could Disney Concerts' control of the Raiders LTP rental mean that they are finally going to do something about creating more LTP concerts of the Indiana Jones films?

• 2 weeks later...

Raiders playing in Dublin this October.

Ireland's National Symphony Orchestra are, surprisingly, sacrificing three of their "prestigious" Friday evening concerts, typically reserved for canonic classical music, for LTP screenings. Raiders is the first, Home Alone is getting a double bill in December, and Herrmann's Taxi Driver(!!) is getting performed in May 2024. 

The times they are a-changin' 

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2016 at 8:36 PM, Signals said:

What part or piece is Doug talking about here?

By the way, Raiders is being performed by the Brussels Philharmonic, conducted by Dirk Brossé, this weekend.

7 minutes ago, Brando said:

Where do they do the intermission at and musically how do they stop the concert like the SW one's do with the Imperial March rendition?

On 27/08/2016 at 10:06 PM, Jay said:

The intermission was handled kind of oddly I thought.  It was right at the end of Reunion and The Dig Begins. As soon as Indy's shovel went into the dirt, the film did a hard fade to black, and the orchestra, instead of ending the original cue in full, played a kind of weird rewrite that tried to transition the cue into a short statement of the Indy theme to wrap up the first half. I'd have to hear it again, but my initial impression was that it was kinda awkward. 

After intermission, when Lockhart came back out,  he led the orchestra through a shortened (maybe 1 1/2 minute or so)  run through of Mutt's Theme with the screen off.  The audience didn't seem to really get what was going on, so mostly talked during it.  After that there was applause, and then the movie resumed with that iconic sunset silhouette digging shot.

6 minutes ago, Brando said:

That is an odd and interesting choice to do a stop right there. You'd think they'd fade to black during the sunset shot where he puts his back on and the diggers are singing. That makes more sense to me.

That's such a beautiful shot by the way. I loved seeing all of Douglas Slocombe's beautiful cinematography on the big screen.

Also, there was no explanation about the choice of music for the intermission either. I imagined they'd project something along the lines of "Swashbuckler—from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom and the Crystal Skull". But they didn't, I think the screen only read "Intermission".

4 minutes ago, Jilal said:

That's such a beautiful shot by the way. I loved seeing all of Douglas Slocombe's beautiful cinematography on the big screen.

Such a great shot and seeing it on the big screen is always worth it!

Can anyone explain why there were five horn players present instead of four? I'm asking this because the LTP score is arranged for four horns. I've noticed the same thing in some other orchestral performances on YouTube, and it's mostly extra brass players. Maybe to lessen the workload and alternate between players? Or perhaps to double one of the parts in order to create a more powerful sound?

(You can't see all five horn players on the picture I posted—I guess some were still at dinner. :P)

I have a question:

Has anyone’s local symphonies / orchestras done more than just one “performance” of Raiders (or any other film for that matter)? As in, have they done it one year, then did it again a few years later? The JSO did it back in 2018, but haven’t done it again since.

2 hours ago, Jilal said:

Can anyone explain why there were five horn players present instead of four? I'm asking this because the LTP score is arranged for four horns. I've noticed the same thing in some other orchestral performances on YouTube, and it's mostly extra brass players. Maybe to lessen the workload and alternate between players? Or perhaps to double one of the parts in order to create a more powerful sound?

(You can't see all five horn players on the picture I posted—I guess some were still at dinner. :P)

The likely explanation is that the 5th player was assisting the first one. And also probably covering other parts of the section. To give other people a break.

4 hours ago, Jilal said:

There's nothing in the LTP score which matches Doug's description (it should be in between Don't Touch That and Discovering the Script, but there's nothing to be found there).

I went to the BP concert yesterday, and it was an awesome experience! :w00t: It was my first time hearing JW's music performed live, so I was really stoked, and Brossé and the BP definitely delivered beyond my expectations. One minor quip: I thought the trumpets sounded a bit dull at times, definitely not as piercing (edit: or crisp, perhaps) as I would have liked. Maybe it had something to do with the venue or their placement in the orchestra (they were sitting right in the middle of the orchestra—I was expecting them to be seated more to the right). Or perhaps it had something to do with the kind of trumpets used. This is just a minor quip though, as I was thrilled throughout the whole concert—hearing JW's iconic score performed live (in particular all that ballsy stuff for the brass section!) really made me feel things I'd never felt before. Brossé is a masterful conductor too, as he manages to let the music breathe (much like JW himself) by ignoring some of the less important hitpoints, still hitting all of the more important ones in the end.

20230924_145258.jpg

It's the last four bars (or so) of Don't Touch That.

7 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

It's the last four bars (or so) of Don't Touch That.

The LTP score (the current version, at least) matches the Bad Dates track on the Concord album as well as what's heard in the film, and so does the performance by the BP I heard last Sunday. They played nothing beyond bar 7.

The BruPhil/Dirk Brossé performance and concert were indeed terrific. Certainly one of the best L2P concerts I've been to. The balance between film sound and the orchestra was also really well done.

Although the one score restore was great to see, I do wish they would experiment more with reinstating the score here and there rather than just follow film edits (esp. the end credits). Or they could have added that short piece in the prologue that was composed additionally. Anyway, it was still an amazing experience.

It would be amazing to see all Indiana Jones films with live orchestra.

26 minutes ago, fommes said:

Although the one score restore was great to see, I do wish they would experiment more with reinstating the score here and there rather than just follow film edits (esp. the end credits).

Yeah, I imagine some replicated edits could be avoided by simply altering the tempo a bit here and there.

7 hours ago, Jilal said:

The LTP score (the current version, at least) matches the Bad Dates track on the Concord album as well as what's heard in the film, and so does the performance by the BP I heard last Sunday. They played nothing beyond bar 7.

The CSO played the full cue at Symphony Center, then the abbreviated version at Ravinia the next year. Must have been revised in the interim. 

Are you guys saying that the Bad Dates track on the Concord expansion does not contain the complete recording of the cue?  It's a replication of a film edit?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you guys saying that the Bad Dates track on the Concord expansion does not contain the complete recording of the cue?  It's a replication of a film edit?

Herb Spencer's manuscript for the cue (R5P5-R6P6 Don't Touch That) does include that statement of the Ark theme that Doug is referring to. I'm guessing its omission was dictated from the podium during the recording sessions, since the Bad Dates track doesn't really sound like an edit to me (in fact, as originally written, the cue ends on an F# instead of a G as in the film/Bad Dates track/LTP).