John T. Williams, the pianist

Bespin

I'm with Thor on this one. This is most likely John Thomas Williams. The only sessions he's in are the NY ones. As Thor mentioned, at that time Williams was busy with other things and J. Thomas Williams was a regular session pianist in New York and New Jersey jazz sessions. While several musicians J. Towner Williams would play often with are mentioned, they are only featured on the LA sessions. Also, those NY tracks were released on Emarcy, a label for which John Thomas Williams released his solo albums, and a label for which I have no knowledge of Towner Williams ever recording for.

As for Freshsound deliberately trying to misguide us, it's just likely to be an error on their part with no malice at all.

20 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As for Freshsound deliberately trying to misguide us, it's just likely to be an error on their part with no malice at all.

Certainly. Interestingly, the album also features tracks from the MODERN JAZZ GALLERY LP, which DOES have several tracks with "our" Williams. But none of them are featured on this album, since -- obviously -- they had nothing to do with Med Flory.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Certainly. Interestingly, the album also features tracks from the MODERN JAZZ GALLERY LP, which DOES have several tracks with "our" Williams. But none of them are featured on this album, since -- obviously -- they had nothing to do with Med Flory.

Yeah, I noticed that. If memory serves, Freshsound included the Williams' band tracks from Modern Jazz Gallery on the two CD set featuring his jazz recordings from that time.

• 2 months later...

A new compilation, featuring, I think, "our" John Williams.

The Jazz Singer on the ‘Peter Gunn’ TV Series (2 LP on 1 CD) + Bonus Tracks

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/lola-albright-albums/6572-the-jazz-singer-on-the-peter-gunn-tv-series-2-lp-on-1-cd-bonus-tracks.html

It seems he played the piano on some tracks of the 1959 album of Lola Albright "Dreamsville"' I did not have this album in my discography actually.

Somedoby can confirm this? @Miguel Andrade

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A new compilation, featuring, I think, "our" John Williams.

The Jazz Singer on the ‘Peter Gunn’ TV Series (2 LP on 1 CD) + Bonus Tracks

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/lola-albright-albums/6572-the-jazz-singer-on-the-peter-gunn-tv-series-2-lp-on-1-cd-bonus-tracks.html

It seems he played the piano on some tracks of the 1959 album of Lola Albright "Dreamsville"' I did not have this album in my discography actually.

Somedoby can confirm this? @Miguel Andrade

The pianist credit has a link on the release's page that takes you to the page of the other John Williams, this guy

complete-master-takes-1954-1955.jpg

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The pianist credit has a link on the release's page that takes you to the page of the other John Williams, this guy

Their database is a nightmare, we can't rely on this.

It's Mancini's Orchestra, we know John Williams played the piano in it (on the two Peter Gun's album, among others).

The new thing (for me), is the Lola Albright album.

This is most certainly our Johnny T. Williams. John Thomas Williams only recorded once in the west coast, and was a live performance with Stan Getz.

Also, you may want to add this entry: 

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/peggy-lee-albums/6528-swingin-brightly-and-gently-peggy-leewith-jack-marshall-s-music-2-lp-on-1-cd-digipack.html

Williams plays on two tracks original released on this single: http://www.45cat.com/record/45cp1354

Thanks @Miguel Andrade, done!

With Jack Marshall

p_BMCD880.jpg

Swingin' Brightly and Gently - Peggy Lee with Jack Marshall's Music (2017, Fresh Sound Record, BMCD 880, Compilation)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p) : Light Of Love, Sweetheart.

With Henry Mancini

p_CL1327.jpg

Lola Albright - Dreamsville (1959, Columbia, CL 1327)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p): Dreamsville, We Kiss in a Shadow, Soft Sounds, Slow and Easy.

p_CS8133.jpg

(Released in 1959, Columbia, CS 8133, Stereo)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p): Dreamsville, We Kiss in a Shadow, Soft Sounds, Slow and Easy.

p_FSRCD930.jpg

Lola Albright - The Jazz Signer on the 'Peter Gunn' TV Series (2017, Fresh Sound Record, FSRCD 930, Compilation)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p): Dreamsville, We Kiss in a Shadow, Brief and Breezy, Soft Sounds, Slow and Easy, Straight to Baby, Just You, Just Me, Sorta Blue.

Singles:

With Jack Marshall
1959 Peggy Lee: Light Of Love / Sweetheart Capitol F4071

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Has JW ever played piano on one of his own scores?

p_lpm2062.jpg

The Music From M Squad (1959, RCA Victor, LPM-2062)

Featuring John Williams (p); Composed by John Williams: The Chase, The Discovery, The End.

49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who plays the piano solo on Welcome to Jurassic Park?

Zita Carno and Gloria Cheng plays the piano on the Jurassic Park scores (thanks to the booklet of The JW JP Collection!).

19 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is there more than one Gloria Cheng? ;)

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

I wasn't questioning your word, Bespin, but Miss Cheng told the story of how she started playing for Williams, and by her own words was with Munich. Maybe she did some little bit on The Lost World and she don't even remember anymore...

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I wasn't questioning your word, Bespin, but Miss Cheng told the story of how she started playing for Williams, and by her own words was with Munich. Maybe she did some little bit on The Lost World and she don't even remember anymore...

I think she only tried to hide her age. ;)

Williams also played piano on IMAGES. And of course, he also plays MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA in the Jay Leno show. Not sure if he plays on the OST, though. And he played his own music in the silent film montage. And on Altman's THE KATHERINE REED STORY. I'm sure there are more.

Cool to see both of JW's brothers Don and Jerry as percussionists on the CD insert above.

Williams wrote a four-hand piano piece for a film music cycle of concerts with the National Symphony, in the early 2000's. At the time it was premiered by Williams and Leonard Slatkin at the piano.

Williams performed it again, with the Boston Pops pianist, during a concert in Boston that was included on the "Evening at Pops" concert series.

• 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, WilliamsGirl said:

Unless I mssed it on the list, John Williams plays piano on Robert Drasnin's Voodoo, later released under the titles Percussion Exotique and Exotic Excursion.  

I don't have this album in my disco.

Tops Records... 1959... hmmm... yes...

Experts?

@Miguel Andrade

R-2545199-1304423643.jpeg.jpg

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

We've discussed the album, but has anyone seen this cover before?  Saw it on Twitter.

DxYxLNFWwAEHiyy.jpg:large

I wouldn't call it a rarity... lately it shows up on eBay quite frequently, and some 10 years ago was released on CD -- though it drop the LP cover in favor of a painting.

Yes, I've seen the cover before. Alas, it's only on LP (AFAIK), so I had to suffice with the CD version with the painting.

81rkojLboQL._SY355_.jpg

It's quite an interesting release -- the only seriously classical album Williams has done as pianist.

• 1 year later...