The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

On 15/06/2016 at 3:11 AM, Jay said:

Why don't you write about the movies you see in the NewFilm thread you created any more?

I'd still haven't scrolled past it. A World of Warcraft movie? Not interested. 

Expected. Apparently there's an enormous gold farming market in China. It's an industry there. 

In fact I'd bet the whole thing was explicitly greenlit and made with the Chinese box office in mind. 

I thought it was based on the old Warcraft games, not the newer World Of Warcraft?

8 hours ago, WojinPA said:

Yes. It's based on the initial incursion by the orcs into Azeroth, the world of men. 

But the story is written in full roleplaying way. And possible the magic effects are similar to those used in WotW. (i dont know because i havent played it, but it looks like the few things i have seen about the game).

I'm only going by an article I read. I played Warcraft 2 in high school and 3 right out of college. I've never played WoW because it violates a personal rule of mine: don't play games that need yearly subscriptions. Buy it once, if at all, and that's it. 

UPDATE: The article I link to in this post was previously linked to here: 

ORIGINAL POST:

Has this been posted here yet?

Inside the Mind of Steven Spielberg, Hollywood’s Big, Friendly Giant: http://www.wired.com/2016/06/steven-spielberg-the-bfg/

Haven't actually had a chance to read it yet; hopefully later.

I did do a few quick "find in page" searches to check if there was anything about Williams, music, etc. and unfortunately there is not. 

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Has this been posted here yet?

It was posted a mere 3 posts before yours.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It was posted a mere 3 posts before yours.

Yep, just realized that about five seconds ago. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ignore Jason, he liked to moderate.

Huh?  He asked a direct question, and I answer him politely.  What's your problem?

Most of the negative reviews I've read can be boiled down to:

"BOOOOORIIIIIIING"

I'm going to see it this weekend either way.

I did enjoy this particular pull-quote:

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/movies/review-the-bfg-is-visual-giant-but-emotionally-lacking/2283283

The BFG is like hearing grandpa tell an okay bedtime story, punctuated with an underarm fart.

I'll definitely see it too. It sounds to me like the flip side of Tintin....similarly style-over-substance and devoid of any real emotional weight but instead of an excuse for Spielberg to create over-the-top action/adventure setpieces, BFG will instead be watching him indulge in visual flights of fancy and pensive atmospheric sequences. When it comes to Spielberg, Kaminski, and Williams, I'm fine with that, plus Mark Rylance's performance looks charming.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Most of the negative reviews I've read can be boiled down to:

"BOOOOORIIIIIIING"

I'm not surprised. That's been every Spielberg film for the past decade. We just have to accept that the guy who made Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., and the Indiana Jones trilogy is now an old fart that supports Hillary and makes boring tripe. I'm pretty fucking offended that the promos for this film invoke E.T. Like, how dare you bring up one of the greatest films of all time trying to sell tickets for this garbage.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

I'm not surprised. That's been every Spielberg film for the past decade. We just have to accept that the guy who made Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., and the Indiana Jones trilogy is now an old fart that supports Hillary and makes boring tripe. I'm pretty fucking offended that the promos for this film invoke E.T. Like, how dare you bring up one of the greatest films of all time trying to sell tickets for this garbage.

I hadn't realised you'd already seen it. 

Lately I'm getting a bit turned off by the rampant negativity regarding anything concerning Spielberg. Yes he's not the director he was in the late 70's or early 80's. But he hasnt been for a long time.

His work from that period, and plenty of films afterwards do give him, in my humble opinion, the right to pursue any project he wants, regardless if it's something he would have tackled in his "golden age"

I may not love everything he does now, but I certainly won't disrespect his efforts.

7 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Lincoln is my 2nd favorite movie Spielberg has ever made and I really loved Bridge of Spies.

If you are interested in my Spielberg Top 10 or just want to yell at me see below ;)

Capture.PNG

Also, I am 100% sure that Spielberg was also a Democrat when he made E.T. so not quite sure what your point is with the needless political comment.

I'll be seeing this on Friday afternoon (in 3D) and I expect to thoroughly enjoy it, despite the negative reviews. I don't trust most film critics too much. 

I wouldn't say that I mistrust critics, but there are many movies I wouldn't give great reviews to if I had to write for a publication but I still love. I can find a movie enjoyable despite its flaws for so many varied reasons.  A great score is definitely one!

The thing that's flawed about film criticism is that it's advertised with percentages and letter grades. Ebert was always ranting about the "dumb thumbs and the dumb stars." It's too easy to look at Rotten Tomatoes and interpret it as if you and I and everyone else have an equally 77% chance of liking something, and then decide if that's worth the risk. It's statistics after all! 

It's nice to have websites that gather reviews in one place to read but it's worthless if people aren't reading them with their own personal preferences in mind. Sometimes a great review can make something sound insufferable, whereas I'll read a negative review and think that their criticisms probably wouldn't matter much to me ("an over-the-top John Williams score? Hooray!" :P).

I don't fully love a lot of Spielberg's recent stuff but I do think he continues to be in a class of his own as a craftsman, and that's why I still go. So when critics shrug and say that BFG mostly amounts to a kinda safe, old fashioned "hang-out movie" that does admittedly show off all his technical skillz....well, why not? Also people saying he's channeling Powell/Pressburger and The Red Shoes and Johnny talking about ballet and dance music. I mean, shit, I gotta see that.

The only time I pay any attention to and "trust" the critics is when a movie I may have been aware of and perhaps even fancied gets totally and comprehensively slaughtered by them. That's 99% of the time a sure thing and a good way of saving time and money. 

However, absolutely everything else is fair game to me, with "mixed" being the the aggregate result to most likely make me want to try out a film and find out for myself. 

Always be suspicious of glowing universal praise! 

I'm hoping this can at least be something like Spielberg's "The Terminal". That also received middling reviews (justifiably so) but makes for a pleasant and warm viewing experience.  

Has anyone seen this New Yorker review?

The reviewer calls the BFG "Runt." Yes, one of the mean giants dubs him that at one point, but call him the BFG! :lol: Is this critic being funny or does he not realize everyone just calls the BFG ... the BFG!

http://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-about-town/movies/the-bfg-2

I just finished re-reading Dahl's book. I hadn't remembered just how good it was! A feel-good, humorous classic. Particularly some of the things the BFG says are really funny ("serves them right, left, and center" and "am I right or left?" are two examples, but there are so many). 

I can't wait to see what Spielberg has done with the story. 

I think a lot of people are gonna crucify the film, forgetting that this is probably a children's movie.

15 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

It's just the political narrative thingy he and Drax have got going on everything. 

Drax would vote for Trump and the Brexit it he could have....

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I think a lot of people are gonna crucify the film, forgetting that this is probably a children's movie.

That doesn't excuse it.  E.T was also a children's film.  

Lengthy praise for Rylance and the mo-cap

There's a lot not quite right and even flat-out wrong with "The BFG," and we'll get to that. There's also a lot that's very, very right, starting with Mark Rylance's astonishing performance-capture portrayal of the Big Friendly Giant created by author Roald Dahl. The right stuff makes it worth seeing.

What Rylance accomplishes in "The BFG" is akin to what Andy Serkis achieved as Gollum in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, or what Serkis brought to the "Planet of the Apes" remakes. But there's something new going on here, more dimensional and interesting. For one thing, they finally got the teeth and eyes right. For another, the digital completion of the performance feels more like performance capture than performance erasure. Rylance is not defeated by the technology.

Up and down, down and up the movie goes, and inarguably it's 20 minutes longer than Dahl's compact story requires. Yet I was so tickled and moved by Rylance's interpretation, highly emotional in surprising ways, the problems didn't matter much to me. For once, underneath all the motion capture folderol, the key performance really does feel like a full, real, vital performance.

13 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That doesn't excuse it.  E.T was also a children's film.  

Which people also crucify as being cloying, sentimental, and naive.