The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

Mistakes happen. Filmtrack's horrible and archaic editing system doesn't help things. A 3-edit-limit and GIANT BOLDED TEXT that tells everybody the post has been edited. It's an editist like me's personal nightmare

You're a professional editor?

Mistakes happen. Filmtrack's horrible and archaic editing system doesn't help things. A 3-edit-limit and GIANT BOLDED TEXT that tells everybody the post has been edited. It's an editist like me's personal nightmare

No, I'm just a person who edits my posts very often.

No, I'm just a person who edits my posts very often.

Oh. Never mind, then.

It's so great to be at fever pitch with SW7 and yet know in the back of our minds that we still have another score right around the corner. And with this one, the wait is gonna fly by because we'll have so much to wade through and discuss in the meantime :D

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, when you think about it, this material is about as ripe for Spiebergian pickings as it gets. And yet... 

I just hope it isn't going to send anyone into a diabetic coma like Hook did.

On 22/1/2016 at 0:43 PM, Jay said:

I think Johnny's score for this is going to be fantastic!

I have the same feeling. It has the potential to bring out some lovely Williams' music.

Seriously the only thought I had when I saw the poster was basically "Wow, this score may be pretty good!".

It's like not even on my radar that we might be getting a good film along with said score this summer.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Seriously the only thought I had when I saw the poster was basically "Wow, this score may be pretty good!".

It's like not even on my radar that we might be getting a good film along with said score this summer.

If it weren't for Star Wars, I'd imagine this score would be far more anticipated around these parts (especially after a slew of historical drama scores).  It's a Williams fantasy score after all.

I do hope that the score gets plenty of room to breathe.  Playing over the movie rather than playing to it like it does in The Force Awakens.  

Hopes are high for another magical Williams score after all... My guess is it will sound somewhat like a mix of WotW and HP.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Yes... War of the World's, the most magical Williams score

That's where HP comes in (I hope). I think it will be darker than HP, hence WotW.

I'm always surprised how quickly the sessions seem to come about, so I wouldn't be shocked if they were recording this month. We'll probably find out from some obscure musician's twitter account.

I'm guessing there'll be less secrecy with BFG than Star Wars, so hopefully we'll get some early snippets.

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm guessing there'll be less secrecy with BFG than Star Wars, so hopefully we'll get some early snippets.

I hope we don't get too much in advance.  It was nice not getting TFA drip-feed to us like the other Williams scores were.

Well the last 4 Spielberg/Williams films all heavily relied on his music in their trailers. I'd be shocked if the next trailer for BFG doesn't have Williams music.

• 3 weeks later...

And lo and behold, already recording. That means he wrote the score in about 2-3 months, assuming he started right after Star Wars finished in November.

Exciting! Another brand new Williams score now exists on a hard drive somewhere!

I wonder why he didn't score Rogue One? Does this mean he could score Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them after all? That would feel odd if it's the case, not doing Star Wars but doing that instead. I bet he won't score anything else this year.

10 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Does this mean he could score Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them after all?

Two fantasy films in one year?  I don't think so.  Though any new Williams score would be cause for celebration of course.  

• 1 month later...