James Horner - One Day In Auschwitz (2015)

Jay

Avatar and Black Gold are good too

'AVATAR is good' is the understatement of the year. It's only, like, the BEST thing he's ever done!

Horner makes each successive score the best ever because he cuts and pastes the best from each previous best score. It's quite logical, but I drew a line in the sand years ago.

Avatar and Black Gold are good too

'AVATAR is good' is the understatement of the year. It's only, like, the BEST thing he's ever done!

Uhm... no ! :nono:

So it's like Braveheart, the best thing he's ever done?

:yes::up:

My top 5 Horner scores:

1. The Rocketeer

2. Aliens

3. Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan

4. Apollo 13

5. Jumanji

Wow Jay : Jumanji, really ?

It's OK, but Horner did so much better.

Not even Krull ???

Legends of the Fall ???

Avatar is good but the action music is underwhelming. I thought TASM was an improvement.

Avatar is OK, but when you take into account the fact Horner had a year to work on it, it suddenly looks like a quite a letdown.

I think it's very good, but I had to warm up to it considerably. The action music is the weakest part, yes.

Never heard Legends of the Fall

Krull, Star Trek 3, Mask of Zorro would make the top 10

Maybe Titanic? Haven't listened to that one in years.

Never liked Braveheart as much as everyone else. I should give it another chance

Yup me too. ST II is a sort of great warm-up to the excellent ST III, which is my preferred of the two. That expansion was really one of my holy grails.

Never heard Legends of the Fall

Dude ! Steal, borrow, buy, GET IT !!! YESTERDAY !!!!

Never seen the movie either

Also Cocoon - never seen the movie or heard the score

My Horner top 5:

1. AVATAR

2. THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS

3. ALIENS

4. BRAVEHEART

5. LEGENDS OF THE FALL

No STAR TREK for miles ahead. Stupid STAR TREK.

1. Apollo 13

2. Braveheart

3: The Name of the Rose

4. ST III > ST II

5. Brainstorm

I really don't get the appeal of Avatar. It's never been anything but insufferable for me aside from one cool moment in the first track.

1. Apollo 13

2. Braveheart

3: The Name of the Rose

4. ST III > ST II

5. Brainstorm

I really don't get the appeal of Avatar. It's never been anything but insufferable for me aside from one cool moment in the first track.

Damn.....and we who were getting along so good in our mutual Zimmer love.

At the moment? My favourite scores from Horner would be:

Apollo 13

Brainstorm

Cocoon

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

A Far Off Place

The Amazing Spider-Man

All the King's Men

The Legend of Zorro

Willow

Flightplan

Not sure in what order, though.

Both Wolf Totem and Black Gold are up there too, high.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed this topic hasn't had anything to do with the Horner-scored documentary at all. Now that I've seen it I can safely say this: don't watch this if you expect Horner to overwhelm you with emotion, in fact it's the total opposite. Music is pretty much in the background all the time, not adding a whole lot to the musical part of the short film. In my opinion, it could've been without score just as well...

But it's 100 % worth it as an eye-opening true to life and heart-wrenching story of one of the Auschwitz concentration camp survivors. Kitty Hart-Moxon, young girl during those trying times, now a senior woman telling her story to two young girls at the site of the atrocities, sometimes in horrifying detail. It's as unbelievable as it is essential viewing.

• 1 month later...

Top five Horner? Lessee. . . .

(In some order):

- Krull

- Glory

- Star Trek II

- Apollo 13

The last spot would have to be a tug-of-war between Willow, Field of Dreams, and Braveheart.

And, being a Horner completist, I'll have to get my hands on this one (regardless of how much or little impact it had on the film).

Avatar is good but the action music is underwhelming. I thought TASM was an improvement.

Avatar is OK, but when you take into account the fact Horner had a year to work on it, it suddenly looks like a quite a letdown.

Completely. He had that long, and couldn't do better than to reuse his Glory theme, and was still throwing the danger motif into "The Destruction of Hometree." I expected better.

Avatar was a major disappointment for me at first, however I came around after letting the initial expectations fade and I almost love it now. Not top 10 Horner, but still great.