Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

It's still listed on John Williams official resume at his agency

http://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/WILLIAMS_JOHN4.pdf

And it's not listed on Newman's, who is repped by the same agency

http://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/bios/Newman_Tom2.pdf

This is just nonsense rumours. None of the sites reporting this cite any sources whatsoever. An early April 1st, perhaps.

John Williams will score this, just relax.

(and if he shouldn't, it's not the end of the world).

I searched twitter, and this "We Are Movie Geeks" site seem to be who first mentioned it on there

And them Empire ran with it, which really made it blow up

But as stated, WAMG's web article mentions no source:

So I think every other article is just using these guys as a source, even though they have no underlying source.

So I'd classify this as rumor / false reporting for now!

Holy shit. It's real.

BURBANK, Calif. (March 18, 2015) – DreamWorks Pictures’/Fox 2000 Pictures’ upcoming dramatic thriller directed by three-time Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Schindler’s List”) and starring two-time Academy Award winner Tom Hanks (“Forrest Gump,” “Philadelphia”), has been titled “Bridge of Spies.” In addition, 12-time Oscar® nominee Thomas Newman (“The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” “Saving Mr. Banks”) has been signed to score the film, as John Williams’ schedule was interrupted and he was unavailable to score the film due to a minor health issue, now corrected.

A dramatic thriller set against the backdrop of a series of historic events, “Bridge of Spies” tells the story of James Donovan (Hanks), a Brooklyn lawyer who finds himself thrust into the center of the Cold War when the CIA sends him on the near-impossible task to negotiate the release of a captured American U-2 pilot. Screenwriters Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen have woven this remarkable experience in Donovan’s life into a story inspired by true events that captures the essence of a man who risked everything and vividly brings his personal journey to life. The film will be released in theaters nationwide on October 16, 2015.

Williams, whose credits include “Stars Wars: The Force Awakens” and the “Harry Potter” films, will join Spielberg on his next film, “The BFG,” beginning later this year, continuing their unprecedented collaboration which they have enjoyed for over 40 years.

Newman has scored many films for DreamWorks, including "The Help,” “Road to Perdition" and "American Beauty,” the latter two for which he received Academy Award® nominations for Best Original Score.

“Bridge of Spies” also stars three-time Tony Award® winner Mark Rylance (“Twelfth Night,” “Jerusalem,” “Boeing Boeing”) as Rudolf Abel, a KGB agent defended by Donovan; Scott Shepherd (“Side Effects”) as CIA operative Hoffman; Academy Award® nominee Amy Ryan (“Birdman,” “Gone Baby Gone”) as James’ wife, Mary; Sebastian Koch (“A Good Day to Die Hard”) as East German lawyer Vogel; and Academy Award nominee Alan Alda (“M*A*S*H,” “The Aviator”) as Thomas Watters, a partner at Donovan’s law firm.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/thomas-newman-to-score-steven-spielbergs-bridge-of-spies-john-williams-will-tune-up-the-bfg-20150318

EDIT: And I see now that the original We Are Movie Geeks article was simply quoting the entire press release verbatim the whole time, we just didn't realize it.

Well I am a bit disappointed. Oh well at least it is Coolman working with Spielberg.

It could have been worse John. A lot worse.

Well I am a bit disappointed. Oh well at least it is Coolman working with Spielberg.

Desplat?

Or they could hire Danny Elfman to arrange's Newman's theme if he's too busy with SPECTRE. ;)

Karol

The schedule of the two films are overlapping and JW's minor health issue probably changed the planned course. Also, it's likely Ep7 is requesting more time to write than initially planned, so he probably had to choose between the two projects. Since he committed to Ep7 first I guess he felt obliged to go with it.

I'm sure Spielberg asked JW who should be the replacement.

The schedule of the two films are overlapping and JW's minor health issue probably changed the planned course. Also, it's likely Ep7 is requesting more time to write than initially planned, so he probably had to choose between the two projects. Since he committed to Ep7 first I guess he felt obliged to go with it.

I'm sure Spielberg asked JW who should be the replacement.

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe recording sessions would overlap or something like that.

I was looking forward to this.

Karol

At least he'll have more time for TFA... :(

The schedule of the two films are overlapping and JW's minor health issue probably changed the planned course. Also, it's likely Ep7 is requesting more time to write than initially planned, so he probably had to choose between the two projects. Since he committed to Ep7 first I guess he felt obliged to go with it first.

There is still SOOOOOOOOOO much more time left to write both scores! This really all makes no sense.

UNLESS Spielberg wants to put Bridge of Spies in the can sometime in the next month or two and then shift everything towards The BFG.... basically as if the release date was May/June and not October.

BUT EVEN THEN, Williams would have PLENTY of time to write and record that score first, and then STILL write tons of music for SW7 - which doesn't open until freaking DECEMBER!

Seriously - THIS ALL MAKES NO SENSE!

Waiting for the inevitable "Williams would have came up with a better score" comments when the OST will be released!

Count on it!

Relax! There is still NO SOURCE LISTED and NO OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION of anything. The Indiewire article above just replicates what was said on the WATG site. I'm not sure why that makes it more real.

No, the indiewire article includes the entire press release issues by Dreamworks.

It's real, Thor. Sorry....

No, the indiewire article includes the entire press release issues by Dreamworks.

Well, if it's an official press release from Dreamworks, it is real indeed. Strange, however, that the WATG site -- who first reported this -- made no mention of the source/press release.

The first Spielberg film since The Color Purple to lack a Williams score. Can't believe it.

Newman seems like a good choice for this kind of picture, so I can't complain about the replacement. It's the replacing that's hard to take. And to understand (as Jason has pointed out). I just don't see the need for this. But then, even if his health is good for an 83-year-old, doubtless Johnny can't keep up the same schedule he used to.

Well, if it's an official press release from Dreamworks, it is real indeed. Strange, however, that the WATG site -- who first reported this -- made no mention of the source/press release.

I know, the indiewire page was the first to include the full Dreamworks press release.

This is all a bit surreal, isn't it?

It is. I mean Newman is a really great composer.

But it feels weird, kinda wrong.

Doug Adams reported it?

Is there hint of fear for the future here as well?

This is all a bit surreal, isn't it?

I would say it's more impressionistic, really.

Abstract, actually.

How bizzare, though I imagine Newman was recommended by Williams himself, and let's be honest, from what we know of the film it didn't seem like new territory for Williams to do something interesting, so maybe Tommy will deliver.

But I bet next year it will be like: And the winner for Best Original Score is... Thomas Newman for Bridge of Spies!

And then we'll all become crazy thinking that could've been in Johnny's hands :P

I hope that a collaboration with Spielberg will demand Newman to work in a more strictly classical idiom. Now, I would love to hear a score like that from him.

Karol