Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

For all the flack that Zimmer and his fans get here, I don't think you'd see them calling for boycotts or score rejections because he didn't get a project. Disgraceful, and a shame for John that he seems to engender this sort of rabid, radical attitude.

Predict this, Nostradumbass! (I mean that with love)

"For all the flack that Hitler and his fans get here, I don't think you'd see them calling for boycots or political rejections because he didn't get the chancellorship. Disgraceful and a shame for Ghandi that he seems to engender this sort of rabid, radical attitude!"

;)

Wasn't Williams one of Newman's mentors?

I recall reading something like that. Maybe I'm just pulling that out of my ass, though, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not sure.

I like Thomas Newman, for the record.

I personally don't have anything against Thomas Newman, he just never scored a movie that I liked... How should I know what is capable of?

In all those decades he has never scored a film you liked?

Not enough to buy any of them in VHS or DVD. And if I saw few of the movies he scored, I never said to myself, wow, who wrote that music?

Let's be honest, it's a second rate composer. ;)

31 years of composing for TV and cinema, and not even one Oscar!

The good point is that Spielberg will save money by hiring him. :D

Let be honest, it's a second rate composer.

Your dramatic absolutism makes me suspect you're Frenchist! L'État, c'est moi!

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec

Yup. ;)

A movie scored by John Williams has two life. It will be seen by those who will be interrested by the movie itself, and it will be seen by those who will want to discover the movie, because of the music of John Williams.

Then, I'm pretty sure that, event those days, a John Williams album sells more than any other composer.

A Spielberg movie scored by Thomas Newman? Less people will see the movie, and the number of albums sold will be deceiving.

Mister Spielberg, you really couldn't wait?

Please boycott this movie.

Not enough to buy any of them in VHS or DVD. And if I saw few of the movies he scored, I never said to myself, wow, who wrote that music?

Let's be honest, it's a second rate composer. ;)

31 years of composing for TV and cinema, and not even one Oscar!

The good point is that Spielberg will save money by hiring him. :D

Sheesh, you're really coming off as a desperate fanboy here. Been a while since I've seen this level of juvenile reasoning here.

So suddenly the number of Oscars determine your musical capabilities? In all his vast career, Goldsmith managed to only get one. Morricone got none (unless you count the honourary one...), etc etc.

And you honestly think the composer affects how many people see the movie? You think more people went to see Lincoln because John Williams was scoring it?? Yeah, tell that to the billion that Skyfall made...

And why should we care about album sales? How does that affect your enjoyment of the music? Or the success of the film for that matter?

Just because you may not enjoy Newman, or have much experience with his work doesn't suddenly make this movie the flop you claim it to be.

You seem like a pretty genuine guy, so I suggest you cut the entitled fanboy act and try and be more reasonable.

Sigh indeed!

If by genuine you mean genuinely full of shit, then yes!

I hope Newman wins an Oscar for this.

Meet Joe Black is a great score. As I recall, Spielberg had Williams rip off Fifth Ave for the Terminal score.

Shawshank Redemption sounded like SPR, before SPR.

Tintin is a good film, loads better than Indy 4.

It's the proper Indy 4.
Uncharted is the proper Indy 4!

So, you don't care about the merits of any scores not even written yet that you haven't heard yet, no matter how good any of them are you want Newman to win anyway? Just because he never has before?

Ok.........

Wasn't Williams one of Newman's mentors?

I found this on Thomas Newman's Wikipedia page:

"In 1983, John Williams, who was a friend of both Alfred and Lionel, invited Newman to work on Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, orchestrating the scene where Darth Vader dies..."

Well, the man himself told the story in an interview.

Don't be ridiculous! What could John Williams possibly know about John Williams! He didn't even know he wrote a love theme for Star Wars!

So first he asked Spielberg 'Why not choose Jerry Goldsmith?", and only when Spielberg answered that he may not be available Williams' lighted up 'Take the guy who did SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, then!'

Giacchino's chances were blown when Williams hadn't seen a single movie he himself hadn't scored since then!

So first he asked Spielberg 'Why not choose Jerry Goldsmith?", and only when Spielberg answered that he may not be available Williams' lighted up 'Take the guy who did SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, then!'

Giacchino's chances were blown when Williams hadn't seen a single movie he himself hadn't scored since then!

I think this is the most reasonable depiction of what happened. Otherwise it would have been Giacchino.

Williams expressed his admiration for Tommy Newman even as recently as a couple of years ago, during the audio interview with Classic FM's Tommy Pearson.

Well, Williams called Giacchino to congratulate him for his score to Up, as Giacchino recounts here (from 21:35 onwards)

Its on the internet, so it must be true!

I had that interview somewhere, but I cannot find it anymore. It was published on the web in the late '90s.

Basically Newman told he was brought in by his uncle Lionel and Williams gave him a sketch to orchestrate, which was actually the "Darth Vader's Death" cue. Newman told that the sketch was basically complete, so it was a kind of a "bone-toss exercise, but a very nice one to do".

So, you don't care about the merits of any scores not even written yet that you haven't heard yet, no matter how good any of them are you want Newman to win anyway? Just because he never has before?

Ok.........

No, because it will drive this board insane.

Isn't that the same philosophy that the John Williams diehards have every single year? They want Williams to win the Oscar for any score he's going to write that year, regardless of its quality and that of its competitive, even before hearing it. I see no difference, other than Tommy hasn't won one yet.

Every single year, I hope that the score that I personally think is the best of the ones nominated wins. It makes zero difference to me who wrote it or what their past nomination or win history is. I just want the best score to win. Period.

I think the only Williams score within the last 10 years that was worthy of an Oscar win was Memoirs of a Geisha.

2011 would've been a good year for him to win. Both of his nominated scores were the best of the group. 2013 would've been good too. The Book Thief was the best or second best of the nominees (pretty weak selection that year to be honest).

• 1 month later...

This "governor" guy just added that it was orchestrated by J.A.C. Redford.