Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

Isn't it a bit odd that we're just a few days ahead of the actual OST release and that no samples or anything like that have been released?

BRIDGE OF SPIES has changed its adverts from "Cloak and Dagger" to all-out "Actioner" .

Now, action shots of planes and crap are shown in the latest campaign.

"Spielbergs best movie since SAVING PRIVATE RYAN'

Well , we will just SEE!

Apart from about 2 minutes of 'Fanfare for the Common Man' (that now seems eternally glued to Williams' legacy) it's pretty much A Thomas Newman Score. The soothing piano chords and woodwind licks from ANGELS IN AMERICA and SCENT OF A WOMAN are never far away, they are really the score's main identity. A Boris & Natasha-like russian chorus pops up here and there, almost as comic relief (Newman shyly dances around it in the first half of the credits), and a 6/8 (or thereabouts) rhythm is doing the duties on all the shady motions in and around east Berlin.

It's not very consequential or pulse-raising - dead giveaway that Spielberg now has officially reached the cosy granpa stage of his career. Which may work as well for Newman, who for once filling Williams' likewise grandfatherly shoes can finally deliver his very own final 7 to 11 minute cues of solid old-fashioned storytelling, a task he seldom has to fulfill.

I hear Russian choirs.

Yes, there is somewhat of that. Unfortunately, it's drowned out a bit by sound effects in the movie. But I'm sure it holds up better on album. Looking forward to hearing it all alone!

Spielberg isn't really being a 'cosy grandpa' with this film, IMO; more like a seasoned film professor who is refreshingly playful, inventive and just so damn visually original in a time where thrillers look and sound the same.

OK I'll have to take a listen after I get home from work. The track lengths apart from the last few look like your typical Newman album but it will be interesting to hear him writing something more than those 1 to 2 minute pieces with this one, even if at Steven's behest.

It's very typical Newman - some nice bits. Not too keen on the choir.

Certainly, I think he's better than JW at ambient, atmospheric music - Newman's forte is combining that with basic orchestral material.

Disappointing though, that this film didn't seem to rely much on music, because I'm still waiting for Newman to write something where the film needs something more noticeable, thematic, and preferably more lengthy. Newman rarely gives us more than 90 seconds of an idea with his short tracks.

Bet Newman was relieved that someone actually encouraged him not to copy his own temp-track, even if he ended up following in someone else's footsteps. He really honours Williams' Copland-esque sound in this.

This might be among my favourite scores released this year so far (it's mid-Oct). A very strong Thomas Newman album.

EDIT: Here is our review by the way.

Karol

I don't think Newman channeled Williams' Copland-esque style specifically (even though there are similarities)--the main thematic idea is cut from the same cloth of his lyrical style as found already back in scores like The Shawshank Redemption.

I liked the score a lot too. Very Tom Newman from beginning to end, with his own unique blend of peculiar colors, groove-based rhythms and oasis of lyrical solace. Maybe it's not one of his all-time best ever, but surely a strong work overall.

On a side-note, it's great to see Spielberg letting another composer (other than JW) interpreting and "rewriting" the film through his own specific style and sensibility. Not that I had doubts, but I guess we always take this for granted because of the exclusive relationship with Williams and his own unique personality. It's a testament of Spielberg's utmost respect toward the job of the film composer. Not many directors today are ready to give this amount of trust and freedom to their composers.

Sure, the question "What Johnny could have written here?" popped up a few times in my head during the listening... and I guess it will even more when I'll watch the film. But once we get past this idea, it's definitely curious to see how it plays out.

Bet Newman was relieved that someone actually encouraged him not to copy his own temp-track, even if he ended up following in someone else's footsteps. He really honours Williams' Copland-esque sound in this.

This might be among my favourite scores released this year so far (it's mid-Oct). A very strong Thomas Newman album.

Karol

You posted a review on the day the score came out?

How many times did you listen to it?

Karol

You posted a review on the day the score came out?

How many times did you listen to it?

I didn't write it.

Besides, if you do it on a regular basis, especially if you have some sort of idea what it is you're writing about, it takes absolutely no time.

Karol

Listening live on JWFan. I'm at track 3 and it's been bizarre, to say the least. I'm not really getting this score. This certainly isn't Newman at his best. It is interesting so far.

I do wonder if Spielberg would have wanted such a sparse, low-key score even if Williams had been available. If so, it was a pretty ideal project for Newman to fall into.

He said in the Scorsese interview that he always knew he only wanted 35-40 minutes of music and that the first act would be mostly unscored.

Right but I mean musically speaking. I mean, what Williams score could you really call low-key? Would Spielberg have pushed him to new places (as in, his own version of the Newman territory that we hear here), or let a bigger sound in?

Half-way though the score. It's Newman through and through, and not sure it's entirely unique from his other output. But there are some really nice passages. I'm guessing a lot of the good stuff is waiting in those final 10 min cues.

It's a fine balance of his lush lyricism (takes very much after Shawshank Redemption, as I expected), some exquisite choral work and his usual quirky shtick. But I think it's rather inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. He has certainly done better.

I haven't given the score its own listen yet but in the film, I found it a little disappointing. I will admit that the score taking a textural "mood-generating" approach with no particular musical narrative was not something I'm really used to in a Spielberg movie, and there was possibly a certain amount of distraction with the Newman-ness of it all ;) so I kinda want to see it again to give it a more fair shake.

But yeah, tonally I found it kind of all over the place without anything to tie it together...there are some individually effective moments, but overall I didn't think it distinguished itself enough which made the moments toward the end where the music is finally given some substantial time to shine out a little jarring. The "Homecoming" cue came almost out of nowhere to me, I thought it was a weird tone to end on. I guess it could be argued that it's a Spielbergian "tacked-on" happy ending, but I felt like there was definitely room for the music to have more weight. Suddenly Newman's sweet "light drama" sound comes in to wash over the last few minutes and it felt at odds with the film. Something about the balance was off, especially considering so much of the film goes without music. Hm.

It's a fine balance of his lush lyricism (takes very much after Shawshank Redemption, as I expected), some exquisite choral work and his usual quirky shtick. But I think it's a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. He has certainly done better.

Thomas Newman? Inconsequential? Nah. ;)

Karol

I saw the film today. I liked the film quite a bit. I loved the cinematography. I too wasn't that impressed with the score. I want to give it another chance though. It may just need some getting used to as it felt like it lacked a poignancy that Williams would had brought.