Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

KK WAS the future.

Now, he's just the remnant of a long forgotten future...

I am the reminder of the future that could have been, that can still be....you simply must join me, on the path of the righteous!

I think the score is nice, not terribly original or electrifying, but nice all the same. It is the Newman we all know (and some love) with those specialty instruments, superbly clear recording and alas wafer thin orchestra he loves so much. I can appreciate it with the string writing but on the whole when Newman tries to do his Copland-moments his unisono horns do not quite cut it. I need to listen to this a few more times before my wrinkled brow final verdict.

Yes...yes!

I will follow you to the end!

My brother, my captain, my K...K....

(Dies)

Be at peace, son of JWFan.

(kisses forehead)

I think the score is nice, not terribly original or electrifying, but nice all the same. It is the Newman we all know (and some love) with those specialty instruments, superbly clear recording and alas wafer thin orchestra he loves so much. I can appreciate it with the string writing but on the whole when Newman tries to do his Copland-moments his unisono horns do not quite cut it. I need to listen to this a few more times before my wrinkled brow final verdict.

Yes, Newman's cumbersome brass writing doesn't play off as well here. Usually I like his block-style brass chorale writing, but it's not very flexible, and comes off as a bit pedestrian here when he tries to pull a Copland-esque fanfare.

String writing is top-notch as usual though.

I repeat myself:

44550.jpg

BRIDGE OF SPIES - Thomas Newman

A solid Newman score but also a bit of a disappointment - my hope for this movie decreases - because he already has proven that he can serve this genre with style and an unique idiomatic approach, cf. 2006's THE GOOD GERMAN (i was writing god german and saw the Hitler jokes coming).

The shady and complicated dealings in a world of Cold-War espionage seen through the eyes of The Proper American Citizen (it's Spielberg doing heavy public duty again) never goes beyond a rather superficial musical description of said world, and you don't get the feeling Tom Hanks' Donovan has learned much when it's over: the expected warm americana chords remain a constant and, imho, tired device invoking a perfect world that never was (except in Spielbergland).

Newman divides his work in three thematic sections, the most dominant being his now-familiar Newmanesque broad americana (inflated a bit by occasional horn calls á la Williams) , a jagged unstable rhythmic motif on strings that form the movie's forward thrust and a vaguely threatening russian choral element that remains either a bit cartoon-y (in the first and last track it wouldn't have been out of place in INDY IV) or vanishes when it threatens to get interesting. 'Lt. Francis Gary Powers' remains the only really interesting darker cue.

Most of the cues up to the long final ones are not very interesting musically, short as they are. The central Glienicke Bridge cue (of course it's spelled wrong, it's Glienicker!) meanders around in hushed tones for most of its 10-minute running time, so we're left with 14 minutes of muted americana á la ANGELS IN AMERICA and the only noteworthy workout of the russian material in the end credits.

The shortcomings here seem better placed at Spielberg's door - i sense another square LINCOLN - and given the on-your-edge tenseness of the political situation between 1957 and 1980 it all seems surprisingly upbeat and inconsequential. Still, it's a good score...and i m not the least bit worried that we 'lost' a precious Williams score here.

Sitting in your private library, drinking a exquisite cup of tea, brandishing a pipe, i hope...

Naturally.

Gandalf-Ian-Mckellen.jpg

I am sure she'll love this and then all fawning Alice fanboys here will flock to her banner. "Come to think of it, Bridge of Spies is great after all. Alice loves it so it can't be bad."

Yes...yes!

I will follow you to the end!

My brother, my captain, my K...K....

(Dies)

Be at peace, son of JWFan.

(kisses forehead)

They will look for his coming from the General Discussion subforum... But he will not return...

I am sure she'll love this and then all fawning Alice fanboys here will flock to her banner. "Come to think of it, Bridge of Spies is great after all. Alice loves it so it can't be bad."

Indeed!

I won't even bother to listen to it before I know her opinion of it!

I wish the score had a clearer main theme, something hummable and not some ephemeral Americana string and piano chords. I am not asking a sweeping flag waving motif, just something a bit more substantial.

I've got Sharky and TGP on my side. Take that, BloodBoal. Academia is on my side!

Karol

But KK. isnt fully on board yet, and he is the future!
"This is the score you're looking for".

Give him two more listens and he will come around.

Karol

Just listened to it.

Like everyone else said, the score seems typically Newman, with the exception of the few moments when he goes for solemn Americana. Those are really the only parts where Newman goes for a Williams-type sound. But his solemn brass chorales don't quite have the dexterity of those in Williams' work. And in those parts it becomes very clear that Newman's general approach is far more sparse and linear compared to the more thick orchestrations we are used to in even the more modest expressions of John Williams patriotism.

A direct comparison between JW and Newman when it comes to this type of music will therefore always be in Thomas' disadvantage.

Nevertheless he acquits himself very well of even that difficult task.

Some people seem disappointed that Newman didn't take this chance to either reinvent himself, or totally go for broke.

The film itself might not have given him the opportunity to do so, especially if Spielberg only wanted very little music.

But also, from the new Newman scores I have, and from the interviews I've seen or read. Thomas Newman comes across and a very modest, gentle and unassuming person.

He doesnt strike me as the kind of person who would try to "outdo" John Williams. Or attempt in any way to put a stamp on the film above what he film the film needs.

Some have said that this is Newman's big chance, but I'm guessing he saw it more as a privilege to assume stewardship over a film that would otherwise be scored by his friend and mentor.

The first few and last few tracks made the most impression on me on my first listen, and I liked what I heard. I wish the choral parts would have played a greater role in the score. But other then that it sounds like a fine score.

Still, why bother to sound like Williams if it's only one or two tracks? Those tracks feel like they are not a part of the whole.

Possibly Spielberg wanted that kind of sound. Didn't The Color Purple sound like the most John Williams' like score Quincey Jones had ever done?

Everyone says the 'solemn Americana' of BRIDGE OF SPIES is all Williams hommage, and while there may be some truth to that, it's not like it's brand new territory for Newman. In fact, he's quite known for it himself.

It's actually classic Newman. The only part I'd credit to "Williams homage" is that shaky Copland-esque fanfare in the second cue.

In fact, I always thought Lincoln had shades of Newman at his most sentimental.

It's actually classic Newman. The only part I'd credit to "Williams homage" is that shaky Copland-esque fanfare in the second cue.

In fact, I always thought Lincoln had shades of Newman at his most sentimental.

Yeah, that's a classic example. Also to be found in parts of FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, MEET JOE BLACK, THE GREEN MILE, ROAD TO PERDITION.

So has anyone else noticed that Hollywood Records seems to only be selling the physical CD of this score through Amazon?

It's not on ScreenArchives.com, MovieMusic.com, Intrada.com, or MusicBox-Records.com.
Of course, Hollywood Records got digital versions up for sale on Amazon MP3, Google Play, or iTunes
But not the two major lossless sites (qobuz and HDTracks), so I guess Amazon's physical disc is the only way to get it in lossless...