Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

It's curious that Williams was not able to score this probably due to Episode VII, whereas Newman will score it, when he has another huge project that opens pratically at the same time (Spectre)

Skyfall was a bit of a rushjob and it got him an Oscar nomination. So Newman can perform under pressure.

Of course I love the Coolman! But this is unnatural!!

Better him than Giacchino though!

Damn.

But you love Coolman!

I'm quite the Coolman fan myself

Coolman's score for Saving Mr.Banks is pretty good btw.

Exactly. Both sides to the score are great, but the score is largely known for the marimba stuff. And I think it's the best example of how fun the Coolman can be.

I would prefer Coolman wining over Wiliams.

Yeah, I'm personally rooting for the Coolman this year.

It's curious that Williams was not able to score this probably due to Episode VII, whereas Newman will score it, when he has another huge project that opens pratically at the same time (Spectre)

Is Newman still attached to The Good Dinosaur, which opens November 25? I would think that would be a pretty big project as well (unless he left when the release date changed).

Thomas Newman is still attached to 2015's SPECTRE and 2016's Finding Dory, but recent news has surfaced that Newman probably won't be scoring The Good Dinosaur, but it hasn't been announced who will be.

SPECTRE would indeed be a big conflict with Bridge Of Spies (opening 3 weeks after Bridge of Spies) under normal circumstances, which is what leads me to believe Spielberg needs the score done within the next 2 months. Why else would the press release bring up Williams' health issues, which began and ended in February.

Newman has probably been working on this score for weeks now!

:eek2:

I actually got a rush of blood to the head when I read this. Very bizarre and unexpected.

However, Williams looked great in those recent pictures with his previous assistant. I don't think it is a current health issue that is causing the change of composer. IF the cancellation of the concert due to health was directly followed by the news about William's Bridge of Spies replacement, that would be very concerning. But those pictures show him in good heath (great for his age).

I suspect SW is taking more time/effort that initially predicted and/or Spielberg wants to move to The BFG as soon as possible and close off Bridge of Spies. JW's time off recently due to the "minor health issue" probably also hindered things.

I'll be happy when JW returns to Spielberg for The BFG (and will majorly panic if he is replaced for that too).

Symbolically, this is major though. I guess it wasn't an easy discision for either JW or SS. I hope either of them will talk about it at some stage, probably the blu-ray music feature.

Atleast we are slowly being weened of John Williams rather then suddenly losing him like so many other composers.

If it has to happen, this is the best way.

Considering the style and tone of Spielberg's recent work Newman was really the natural composer in waiting all along. It seems so obvious now.

I was just about to say this. It's really a pretty close substitution, given JW's newer stylistic tendencies.

WHAT IF STEVEN AND JOHNNY HAD A FALLING OUT?!

They didn't because Johnny is confirmed as scoring The BFG.

But maybe it was just kinda of a one-film falling out, y'know. . . ?

I can see the headlines.

"Bridge Of Spies is like a breath of fresh air. Spielberg seems rejuvenated "

"Bridge of Spies rings in second Golden Age of Spielberg"

Well I am a bit disappointed. Oh well at least it is Coolman working with Spielberg.

It could have been worse John. A lot worse.

Desplat?

I would have loved to see Thor's reaction if that had been the case.

I can see the headlines.

"Much of the film's success falls on the subtlety of Thomas Newman's bittersweet score, which adds a certain sense of depth and psychological complexity. Certainly, a breath of fresh air after decades of simplistic and tired sentimentality John Williams used to provide for Spielberg's output"

Karol

I can see the headlines.

"Much of the film's success falls on the subtlety of Thomas Newman's bittersweet score, which adds a certain sense of depth and fresh air after simplistic and tired sentimentality John Williams used to provide for Spielberg's output in the past decades"

Karol

"You can feel Newman's music challenge and push the picture into becoming something more than it otherwise would be."

Depends on the tone of the film I guess, and I have no idea what that'll be. But you're right, it may not be anything to pull him out of the usual bouncy mallet percussion quirkiness. Sigh.

Wow 2 or three weeks after the confirmation of John Williams scoring Bridge Of Spies he is replaced by Thomas Newman a composer who I can't stand I like some of his work for Pixar and Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events!

Awful news I feel angry and sad what has happened in that 2 to 3 weeks did they have an argument or something which is not the case I hope I do not believe what I am hearing today It is sad and disgusting just awful Spielberg and Williams forever!

I just feel angry and appalled at least John Williams has been Confirmed to score the BFG but that does not change my mood today John Williams should be scoring Bridge of Spies end of story!

I just do not know what to think just utterly sad and shocking!

I will still see Bridge of Spies when it comes out it will not be the same without John's magic but I have a feeling John Williams will talk about it in an interview and it will be fine and dandy and it will be scored by John Williams and this is an internet hoax It's true I know but I do not believe it at all!

Well, people were complaining about Williams creating a "bland" score and now he's not going to do it. Careful what you wish for... I'm concerned that he won't do The BFG, either. Seems like there is plenty of time to do TFA and Bridge of Spies. I wish we had more inside information about this.

I guess I should have said official inside information. ;) In any case, we still have TFA to look forward to and I'm glad to read articles are reporting Williams' minor health issue is no longer an issue.

JW not scoring Bridge of Spies because he had an argument with SS and have fallen out is virtually impossible based on both their personalities and 40+ years of friendship.

That sucks, but I'm glad they explicitly told us that JW will be returning for BFG. Otherwise that would have driven us mad, to speculate over whether JW ever scored another Spielberg film...

JW not scoring Bridge of Spies because he had an argument with SS and have fallen out is virtually impossible based on both their personalities and 40+ years of friendship.

Yeah...reality doesn't work like that. Doesn't mean that's the case here, but...

Yeah...reality doesn't work like that. Doesn't mean that's the case here, but...

A press release says Williams and Spielberg will team up for The BFG.

So it's confirmed? They had a falling out and JW will no longer write for SS!

Johnny never wrote for the Nazis.

Johnny never wrote for the Nazis.

Actually he wrote a couple of themes for them.

It was only a few themes! Proves nothing!

"Sources indicate the matter was related to an alleged compensation disagreement. One source close to the Maestro indicated, 'When John saw how much JJ [Abrams] was willing to pay him for Star Wars...that's when it all started. He realized he'd been underpaid by [spielberg] all this time.' Negotiations between Spielberg and Williams are ongoing at this time for BFG. No word on whether the deal will include retroactive compensation to Williams for the last thirty years as a condition for continued collaboration"

"This isn't the first time the duo have had a falling out over John's compensation. In the late 80s John walked out on The Color Purple due to 'excessive parsimony' on the production."