Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

His end credits suites are usually quite close to that, a very extended take on some of the main ideas of his score or a completely new piece in its own right. I wonder if he with Spielberg at the helm deviates from his usually less thematic approach for this score.

He also seems like a composer quite keen to present his cues in their original form, be it that the cue is 18 seconds or 3 minutes long. Hence those 30 track albums.

Some reviews coming in, doesn't seem like the score is really standing out that much (apparently the first half hour or so is completely without music.) The few mentioning it so far seem to think it's not much different from Williams' typical dramatic style.

From Indiewire:

No matter how many twists it takes, "Bridge of Spies" maintains a predictable visual polish thanks to cinematographer Janusz Kaminski, whose blue-hued street scenes and bright indoor lighting have become as much Spielbergian touchstones as its themes. The score, by Spielberg newcomer Thomas Newman, apes the John Williams playbook of gentle piano and occasional trumpeting declarations.

More negatively (from Slant):

Thomas Newman's score uses his trademark minor-key piano chords to accompany the martial notes of John Williams's recent work with Spielberg, and the flaccid mimicry is palpable.

'Martial'? If it sounds like Williams by way of Newman at least it will not sound like Newman by way of Newman. Which would be much more of an old hat, cf THE JUDGE etc.

Perhaps "martial" is the term being used to describe the usual Copland-esque Americana that comes with these kind of films?

I'm guessing Newman's score, at it's most "extravagant", will probably channel his Shawshank days:

Which is kind of what Lincoln ended up sounding like, and thus the claims of "Williams-lite" arise.

I predict noble trumpet and warm piano for the most part with a bit snare drum-lead militaristic music for Berlin scenes.

A warmer modern version of A Good German would be nice.

"Thomas Newman's score, however, will be divisive as many have already noted that the composer tries to sound very much like John Williams but he lacks the instrumentation and the sound of the legendary composer."

"Thomas Newman's score, however, will be divisive as many have already noted that the composer tries to sound very much like John Williams but he lacks the instrumentation and the sound of the legendary composer."

Ugh… yes this reeks of "trying to talk about something I know nothing about."

We're currently in negotiation with Fox to attend a closed screening of the film tomorrow that isn't usually open for the press (the film doesn't premiere here untill November 27!), and I'm getting quite excited. These earlybird reviews are also quite tantalizing.

Why "lol"? I thought what he was saying about the New York sounds made sense.

Is it weird that we still haven't gotten any samples or anything from this score? I know it comes out Friday so not much longer to wait, but still.

Spielberg speaks about Williams around the 20 minute mark.

Was Spielberg fucking around (circa 38 minute mark) when he said he'd probably make an Indiana Jones 5 with Harrison Ford??

There's nothing in the works for any Indy movies as far as we know. I believe Kathleen Kennedy said they'll do something with the series but not anytime soon. Star Wars seems to be their main priority right now.

Actually since Gia features the Courage theme heavily in his end credits music, his 2 scores probably have more of it then any if the other films.

None of them actually have more then a few statements of the fanfare, or the actual theme, and all if them have their own set of themes.

Star Trek is a very bad example here.

Jesus, I forgot that fucking guy was in the last one. Hopefully his comments about KOTCS (which weren't wrong) got him fired from the franchise. Hopefully, they just ignore that entire film and pretend like it didn't happen.

Actually since Gia features the Courage theme heavily in his end credits music, his 2 scores probably have more of it then any if the other films.

None of them actually have more then a few statements of the fanfare, or the actual theme, and all if them have their own set of themes.

Star Trek is a very bad example here.

Perhaps you're right.

Jurassic World didn't hurt Pratt's chances; he's leading role material now.

I found it interesting how he went away at the time with Spielberg for a weekend but the conversation (apparently) never came up.

Pratt and Fillion? Those are the best options?

Flavor of the month, and TV's Castle?

There has to be someone better. Probably someone currently unknown.

There's that guy who did a youtube video impersonating Harrison Ford once.