THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

23 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Gotta love Reddit...

It's ok.  I reported his comment, and got it removed.

I also got sweet, sweet link karma off the tweets you posted.  My self-worth has been validated.

26 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Wait a tick, did he just confirm John Williams for Ready Player One? Hm, isn't it his 27th movie by the way? Or is he counting Amazing Stories as a movie or something?

Could be wishful thinking, not necessarily confirmed.

Not that Williams wouldn't score RPO, as he almost certainly will, but taking that as confirmation that he will smells like the sort of excessive "JW said he likes pizza, he must be opening a pizza chain" fan speculation I have seen criticized elsewhere recently.  It seemed like a pretty offhand, self-congratulatory remark with not too much thought put into it.

Not confirmation at all, but if the pair hope to reach 30 collaborations, and BFG only marks their 27th, Spielberg better pull his finger out! He's only made 6 films in the last decade.

I was just wondering yesterday if Williams was ready to record. Amazing that another score is already - on paper at least - in the can so soon after Star Wars 7, which I feel like I'm still getting to know.

And I read that Spielberg quote as simply meaning he's getting ready to make two or three more films and Williams will be along for the ride health permitting. 

Hopefully we get some more tweets about the sessions, maybe even a preview of the music.

It's pretty amazing how quickly he wrote this. Presumably the film is heavily spotted, if past Spielberg fantasy adventure films are any indication. 

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hopefully we get some more tweets about the sessions, maybe even a preview of the music.

It's pretty amazing how quickly he wrote this. Presumably the film is heavily spotted, if past Spielberg fantasy adventure films are any indication. 

He is not necessarily done scoring the film.  Spielberg pulled a JJ in Tintin (or vice versa) with the scoring sessions, so this might be similar--score a big chunk now and another in a month or so. 

The early recording does raise the probability of the next trailer including Williams' music.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Will Williams conduct all of this score himself?

I'm pretty sure he will.

15 hours ago, Tom said:

I realize I might be criticized as using "fanboy logic" of reading way to much into a throwaway line, but Spielberg explicitly says they are heading for 30 films together.  Does this mean there is another film besides RPO that is imminent?  Has anything been announced or strongly rumored?

It simply means he has other films lined up and that he plans to do them with Williams, of course.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's also the Jennifer Lawrence journalist film, It's What I Do.

Spielberg develops plenty of properties with the intention of directing, only to pass when something else grabs his interest. Robopocalypse seems dead but it was almost his followup to Lincoln.

He tends to pair a crowd-pleaser with his Oscar-friendly dramas. War of the Worlds/Munich, Tintin/War Horse, Bridge of Spies/The BFG.  Pairing Ready Player One (lengthy post-production) with a small drama like It's What I Do makes sense, unless Montezuma goes ahead first. 

As usual, Spielberg has several potential projects he might commit to direct, but nothing has been officially announced after Ready Player One so far. All the project discussed above (It's What I Do, Montezuma, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara) are still in development, but Spielberg still hasn't officially committed to any of them.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

He is not necessarily done scoring the film.  Spielberg pulled a JJ in Tintin (or vice versa) with the scoring sessions, so this might be similar--score a big chunk now and another in a month or so. 

The early recording does raise the probability of the next trailer including Williams' music.

It might be a Tintin-like situation (part of the film is done on performance capture), but it could also be that Spielberg already had a pretty definitive cut and Williams wrote to it in his usual 8-10 weeks period (we know he started writing the score around mid-December). Also, this is in line with Spielberg's preferences (at least in the last few movies), where he had the score recorded quite in advance.

It makes no sense that he goes to Los Angeles to score anything when flight time to London is shorter by several minutes. 

Well in that case Williams should conduct the LSO from LA via hologram!

All jokes aside, if the same musicians who performed on TFA and War Horse are back for BFG (and I see no reason why not), the performances will again be sublime. 

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm pretty sure Twitter was actually invented in order to give us John Williams sessions quotes.

Would that more scoring sessions were live-tweeted.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, mrbellamy said:

I doubt he's talking about anything specific. Just saying like "Number 30, here we come!"

Also BFG is actually their 27th.

Does that list include "Unfinished Journey?" 

• 2 weeks later...

It's in its 14th season (But it would be its 18th season if Fox didn't cancel it twice)

I just finished the book. There are certainly a couple of scenes that should give Johnny something to sink his teeth into. It's a pretty short book, so I imagine Spielberg added material. As the book stands, I can't quite imagine it working as a film, but all I really care about is what it inspires Johnny Baby to create