THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

5 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I'll listen to the album first.  If it's good/great/amazing/masterpiece then I'll probably end up seeing the movie in the theater just to experience it as a score.

The amount of times I've watched a film just to experience the score in context...

I saw War Horse in the theatres again even after I had seen a screener online before. Just to listen to the score.

Spielberg is one of the old masters. Even the most minor Eastwood film has a level of craftsmanship which is pleasurable if you have interest in film-making. So I can always watch a Spielberg film, it is atleast always "well made".

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

Coincidentally, in the recent Gloria Cheng interview, she mentions some large gaps between sessions.

This will how it will be for Williams from here on out.  Spielberg will do his best to work around William's requirements.  I hope the SW directors are willing to do the same. 

Today was probably just a totally standard pickup session for Inserts and revisions 

Only two months to go until the film's release. Why isn't the soundtrack available for pre-order yet? I need to combine it with another order to ensure free shipping.

7 hours ago, Foxfan said:

Only two months to go until the film's release. Why isn't the soundtrack available for pre-order yet? I need to combine it with another order to ensure free shipping.

Williams' score has been rejected, obviously! :P

Giacchino scores his films by digging through John's garbage. 

I've worked it out! All that deleted music from TFA was a conspiracy from Giacchino and JJ to have Williams unknowingly write their next score!

Don't be surprised if Giacchino's next score features tracks named May's Theme, Mark of Persistence and Hair's Swell & They Tipped!

13 hours ago, Foxfan said:

It's been available for preorder since over a week

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Friendly-Giant-Soundtrack/dp/B01EX1AUL0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_6&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's been kinda cool having it as an end-of-year treat lately, but I have fond memories of summer Williams releases so it's nice to get another one.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It's been kinda cool having it as an end-of-year treat lately, but I have fond memories of summer Williams releases so it's nice to get another one.

True.  I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the release date though.  It looks like it's going up against some pretty big movies (plus the special effects from the most recent trailer look fairly rough in some areas)

2 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

True.  I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the release date though.  It looks like it's going up against some pretty big movies (plus the special effects from the most recent trailer look fairly rough in some areas)

Where would they move it to, though? Can't go anywhere near the holiday season with Fantastic Beasts, Moana, and Rogue One taking up the same audience.

Its placement is probably about as good as it'll get as a non-sequel fantasy release for kids...might be hard for it to catch a real break between Finding Dory and Ice Age 3, but at least there's a couple weeks of breathing room on either side. I don't think it's destined to be a monster but it's not gonna be John Carter, families will go for the Disney/Spielberg/Dahl combo.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Where would they move it to, though? Can't go anywhere near the holiday season with Fantastic Beasts, Moana, and Rogue One taking up the same audience.

Its placement is probably about as good as it'll get as a non-sequel fantasy release for kids...might be hard for it to catch a real break between Finding Dory and Ice Age 3, but at least there's a couple weeks of breathing room on either side. I don't think it's destined to be a monster but it's not gonna be John Carter, families will go for the Disney/Spielberg/Dahl combo.

October would be a great release month in my opinion.  I just don't get a Summer vibe from this movie.

They should start a huge promotional campaign for this score ASAP! Soundclips! Previews on radio shows, the works!

9 hours ago, LaloCoyoacan said:

Oh thanks for the find. Unfortunately I'm looking to pre-order it on the Amazon.CA Canadian site. That USD is way too overpriced right now.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:
On 9.3.2016 at 9:35 AM, Mr. Big said:

I'm fine with secrecy.  It worked for TFA

Well this might not be as hush hush as TFA so I would be glad if the score was promoted a bit more freely.

I think those guys just wrote that article because they noticed it was on Amazon with that release date, which was pointed out above 

Still no cover art or track list... get with the program Disney!

I've been trying to find screening times for THE BFG at Cannes, but I've been unable to find any -- for ANY film, really. It's my first time there, so maybe there are some special rules for this.

Anyways, I'm off on Tuesday, and then the film will screen sometime during the following 14 days. I know I have to stand hours in line for this, and I'm not guaranteed a seat (even with my "market pass"), but I will definitely make an effort.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I think those guys just wrote that article because they noticed it was on Amazon with that release date, which was pointed out above.

Definitely. As is typical of that site.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I just wanna tell you good luck! We're allcounting on you.

I just re-watched Airplane after many, many years. I forgot it opened with the Jaws theme.  Good stuff.

23 hours ago, Thor said:

I've been trying to find screening times for THE BFG at Cannes, but I've been unable to find any -- for ANY film, really. It's my first time there, so maybe there are some special rules for this.

Anyways, I'm off on Tuesday, and then the film will screen sometime during the following 14 days. I know I have to stand hours in line for this, and I'm not guaranteed a seat (even with my "market pass"), but I will definitely make an effort.

Cannes posted the schedule here.

Looks like your shot is 5:30pm on the 15th @ the Soixantième. ;)

Film runtime is 1:55 according to that schedule. About 10 minutes shorter than I expected, unless that runtime excludes credits.

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Film runtime is 1:55 according to that schedule. About 10 minutes shorter than I expected, unless that runtime excludes credits.

According to IMDB, that's the exact runtime of E.T.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Kid's movies are just about always under 2 hours.  Quite frankly 1:55 is pushing it. 

True, the Berg always tends to mindful of these things. It's also exactly the same runtime as Raiders (according to IMDb)!