THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

Variety updated their review

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/the-bfg-review-steven-spielberg-1201774476/

Sounds like maybe, like TFA, the score is very good but the themes may not be considered very memorable by the general public. 

Or at least for this sequence.  The days of instantly memorable themes seem to be over (if they ever really existed), but I would bet on a very strong theme for Sophie.  Then again, I find Rey's theme exceedingly memorable, but even film score enthusiasts seem to have difficulty remembering it. 

Certainly the actors are more of a pleasure to listen to than the miles of melodic whimsy concocted by John Williams, playing relentlessly over scenes that might have benefited from more of the eerie silence of what both book and movie refer to as “the witching hour.”

Holy shit!  I can't wait!  :w00t:

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

Variety updated their review

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/the-bfg-review-steven-spielberg-1201774476/

Sounds like maybe, like TFA, the score is very good but the themes may not be considered very memorable by the general public. 

I read that as saying that the music in that sequence (at least? or are they talking about the entire movie here?) is more coloristic and less thematically-driven. The fact that they used the word "relying" seems to suggest that Williams was able to write something that doesn't have a clear theme/melody but which the audience would've still found "memorable". So I read it as a positive thing.  

Overscored fantasy/adventure usually turns out to be a good thing for us when it comes to John Williams. His approach will always have critics wishing for a little less noise but it's gotten him this far.

44 minutes ago, Ricard said:

?

Well, I suppose it depends on what we mean by "memorable to the general public after one viewing of a film" (the context in which I made the comment). 

Back in the early 80s, my friends could never have remembered a melody after seeing a film for the first time (maybe Jaws was the exception in the 70s).  I remember seeing TWOK and instantly knowing the music, but my friends after multiple viewings could not identify the music even when it appeared on a tv segment we were watching.  I think what we know think of as memorable to the public at large is due to long-term exposure. 

Star Wars fans who have lived with the movie for 5 months now can easily recognize the new themes, but the majority probably could not after seeing the movie the first time. 

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well, I suppose it depends on what we mean by "memorable to the general public after one viewing of a film" (the context in which I made the comment). 

Back in the early 80s, my friends could never have remembered a melody after seeing a film for the first time (maybe Jaws was the exception in the 70s).  

The main theme from Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K five notes, Superman, The Imperial March, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T. were all instantly memorable to the general public.

5 minutes ago, Ricard said:

The main theme from Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K five notes, Superman, The Imperial March, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T. were all instantly memorable to the general public.

not my friends (but, I am willing to admit they may have been idiots).

When was the last time a composer wrote a genuinely memorable theme? A theme that the "general public", not just film score enthusiasts would consider "memorable". 

I don't really trust general film reviews for comments on any score. Of course  my own listen/viewing will tell me the most, but outside of that, album reviews and other film music enthusiasts offer more than general film reviews. 

8 minutes ago, Romão said:

I always find the discussion about how recognizable by the larger public a theme is totally irrelevant to its quality. 

That's pretty obvious isn't it?

15 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

When was the last time a composer wrote a genuinely memorable theme? A theme that the "general public", not just film score enthusiasts would consider "memorable". 

Hans Zimmer, Pirates Of The Caribbean 

25 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Totally agree. 

So the question, then, is what do we mean by "instantly memorable."  I guarantee the majority of people could not have hummed the melody of, say, ET, after one viewing (and no other exposure to the music).  Some could, but not a majority.  (Again, I was there). 

Are you simply saying that they could have identified a piece as from SW or IJ later in the day?  If so, many composers, including Williams, still produce music of this sort.

If it is neither of the above, what is the criterion in question? 

Perhaps you can't. Perhaps you lack the ability many of us have. Some of us hear and instantly remember.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Perhaps you can't. Perhaps you lack the ability many of us have. Some of us hear and instantly remember.

Well of course some can: my (clearly stated) point is that the majority never did. 

I think it's a more common ability than you realize. It is certainly common among the group here. 

your ear may be brilliant but your memory might be shitty. who knows. 

I cannot play music on any instrument yet I can remember music in my head, Its seems rather simple to me. 

well you were rather dismissive of what i said, don't be so hurt as I was not trying to hurt your feelings. You're mistaking musical ability versus memory. It not that same. 

At least that's how I read what you're saying. 

how does one remember the score from say the River without seeing the film but one time and not having the album?

really good score btw, the music gets played on tv often during golf tournements or did. 

I might have just found a bit of the score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or maybe not)

Does anyone recognize the background music in that video from anywhere? Or is it safe to say it's new? It certainly sounds like it could be Williams, but it's hard to be sure. 

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yep, I think so! Reminds me a lot of Lincoln

Yes! That's actually the first thing I thought when I heard the solo piano melody. 

Above is the full video of the BFG red carpet. Pop music and such is played until about 5:22, when it switches to "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saëns until about 6:07. Then the possible Williams music begins and continues until 12:49. It's not Carnival of the Animals, right? I clicked to a few points on that composition on YouTube, and none of them sounded like the possible Williams bit. 

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Hmm, the context of the other pieces sheds some doubt on it being Williams music.

Yes, it does, if it was the only piece they played I think I'd be a lot more confident in it being Williams. Seems strange that they'd just drop in a score cue in the middle of all that other stuff. Also, the possible Williams bit is very repetitive. Is it looping, or does the thing just meander along for almost 7 minutes? In any case, it is a beautiful emotional melody, no matter who wrote it. 

Well, I'm exiting the forums for the night, it's certainly been a fun day! Nothing like the premiere of a Williams score and Spielberg movie and reading the reviews. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll know whether the unknown bit is Williams (and hopefully it is!)