THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

Word was that he got burned on 'Munich' - at least in North America (a bad 'Time' cover story and such things) and with the ongoing troubles with Dreamworks and its future he lost whatever interest he may have harbored in current hot topics. 

It's also a matter of money. Safer, "vanilla" films are more probable to make a revenue than the more challenging films he'd maybe like to make. Remember when Spielberg said Lincoln was almost an HBO film because he couldn't get proper financing or something like that.

I don't get why at this point in his carreer such rich guys like Spielberg or Lucas worry about that kind of stuff, I mean with all the money they have they could do small, independent films and don't give a damn about box-office. But hey, I imagine that's also the reason why they're rich and I'm not. 

It takes for a variety of reasons much more time to finance, market and distribute small 'indie-ish' kind of movies. That's just not Spielberg's style who probably would be happiest getting a new assignment every three months in Louis B. Mayer's or Jack Warner's office just churning them out like in the old days.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

JWFan in a nutshell.

70%of JWFan doesn't have anything to do with BFG?  I would say the number is higher than that. 

I think any thread here can make the natural progression from on-topic discussion into people mentioning how they didn't like Indy IV score, a lot of shouts of agreement and disagreement and then it's anybody's guess where the road takes us. It's a journey of amazing discovery!

The OST doesn't release for another 5 1/2 weeks, so probably not for another 3 weeks or so yet.  Who knows

EDIT: Actually, let's use Elfman's Alice Through The Looking Glass OST, also on Disney Records, as our comparison.

That OST releases on Friday May 27, the track list appeared on Amazon on Friday May 6, and samples appeared on some European site on Monday May 23.

If that pattern repeats for The BFG, Amazon will have the track list on Friday June 10th, and samples will appear randomly on Monday June 27th.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, Bill said:

The reviews are saying that even the mean giant scenes aren't very scary. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Given that it is a kid's movie, it seems like it might be scary in the intended way (if adults think they should be scared by a kid's movie, well, they're crazy).

"It really does offer a huge treat for the whole family - with the caution that very young children might well be scared out of their wits by some of the more "murderful" giants."http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3591675/BRIAN-VINER-reviews-Steven-Spielberg-s-version-Roald-Dahl-classic-BFG.html

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Given that it is a kid's movie, it seems like it might be scary in the intended way (if adults think they should be scared by a kid's movie, well, they're crazy).

I beg to differ

• 2 weeks later...

It really reminds me of some other score but I can't put my finger on what, exactly.

And I don't actually mean Hook or Potter. Something by Horner, I think, or maybe Elfman...

Nice cover. Here's hoping that the actual music is less whimsical than the impression I got at the red carpet in Cannes (at least the action stuff). The LINCOLN-meets-WAR HORSE main theme was at least predictably beautiful.

Yeah, if you're expecting this to be a non-whimsical score then you're bound to be dissapointed.

However, I'm counting we'll have at least one or two dark/agressive action cues.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm #TeamWhimsy

Hoping for the perfect combination of E.T., Hook and Harry Potter

It just occurred to me the other night that this movie will have an elaborate fantasy banquet sequence. Not gonna dare to expect a cue to top the ones in Hook or Harry Potter, but it'll be fun to see him complete the trilogy ;)

That cover seems to imply that Williams did the majority of the conducting and perhaps even all!!

Not really, but it's nice to see the full credit back on. This time last year we were wondering if we might never see him conduct a full score again.

When is Ready Player One due to be released? If it's summer 2017 I can't see why he can't do it and Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

When is Ready Player One due to be released? If it's summer 2017 I can't see why he can't do it and Star Wars.

It's March 2018 as of right now.  I still think he could pull it off.  There'll probably be a lot of nostalgic 80's songs so Williams wouldn't have to write a wall-to-wall score. 

The Kidnapping of Eduardo might actually pose a more serious risk to VIII or RP1 as it's set to come out in the fall/winter of 2017.

Forgot about EDUARDO releasing next fall. Hopefully he'll attempt something similar to the original TFA/BOS plan by fitting the smaller score between main (July?) and pickup (Nov?) sessions of the bigger score.

KOEM doesn't strike me as a larger scale score, based on the subject matter and Berg's recent musical form with small dramas.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It doesn't strike me as a big score, based on the subject matter and Berg's recent form with small dramas.

Maybe not in terms of length but in terms of ethnic instrumentation, it could be a refreshing change of pace for Williams.  

24 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Maybe not in terms of length but in terms of ethnic instrumentation, it could be a refreshing change of pace for Williams.  

Williams can write that stuff in his sleep! ;)

I'm half expecting a cross between Monsignor and ... Lincoln? Without the stately warmth or Americana?

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Williams can write that stuff in his sleep! ;)

I'm half expecting a cross between Monsignor and ... Lincoln? Without the stately warmth or Americana?

The film has a Pope so there might be some liturgical music in there too. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Better enjoy this score folks, because it's the last new Williams music until, at the earliest, December 2017.

Unless he pulls another BOOK THIEF on us, out of the blue.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Unless he pulls another BOOK THIEF on us, out of the blue.

That's true, otherwise he'll be kicking his feet up for the next 12 months, barring any concert works he had in mind. Or possibly focusing on more conducting engagements while his health allows it.

18 months is certainly no worse than several other painful waits between JW scores. Wasn't KOTCS his first score since Munich?

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Better enjoy this score folks, because it's the last new Williams music until, at the earliest, December 2017.

Why the Kobe hate?

9 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That one will probably be more of a ceremonial piece than anything resembling a film score

Either way, it will be new Williams music that we will hear prior to 2017.