THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

10 hours ago, natedog said:

how long before 30 second track previews are released, do you reckon?

On 5/24/2016 at 4:08 PM, Jay said:

let's use Elfman's Alice Through The Looking Glass OST, also on Disney Records, as our comparison.

That OST releases on Friday May 27, the track list appeared on Amazon on Friday May 6, and samples appeared on some European site on Monday May 23.

If that pattern repeats for The BFG, Amazon will have the track list on Friday June 10th, and samples will appear randomly on Monday June 27th.

Still no samples anywhere eh?

Hopefully they appear sooner than ATTLG's did for that Disney OST (they only appeared 4 days before release day)

Looks like Amazon.UK changed its release date to 8th of July, so it seems that the soundtrack release is delayed for a week for UK at least.

Don't fall into despair yet KM. US and Canada might be just OK and the CD is released on 1st of July as planned.

47 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Looks like Amazon.UK changed its release date to 8th of July, so it seems that the soundtrack release is delayed for a week for UK at least.

I think the previous release was listed as an import. 

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I think the previous release was listed as an import. 

They often seem to do that before they receive more info on a particular CD.

40 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

First Jay can't watch GoT, now the BFG gets delayed.... Our problems never end!

/sarcasm

Truly, why has fate chosen to test us so? Are we not the Chosen Ones?! Chosen of John Williams!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Amazon US still says July 1

Good. Just ordered my copy this afternoon. 

The BFG will be the second Williams score released since I become a serious JW fan. For TFA, I listened to the OST (and FYC, actually) before seeing the film. I found that it was great to already be familiar with the score going in.

But this time I think I will try watching the film first (assuming my schedule works out so that I can see the film on the release date or at most one or two days after; I can't wait any longer:P). 

19 minutes ago, Will said:

The BFG will be the second Williams score released since I become a serious JW fan. For TFA, I listened to the OST (and FYC, actually) before seeing the film. I found that it was great to already be familiar with the score going in.

I watched TFA first before listening to the music, but it didn't leave such an impression on first viewing (other than the film being Playing it Safe: The Movie).

Listening to the album a few times massively contributed to my enjoyment of the film on subsequent viewings.

The second clip here contains a bit of the score. The ending reminds of the more comic-oriented material from Tintin, particularly Tintin Gets the Keys

http://theplaylist.net/watch-first-two-clips-steven-spielbergs-bfg-starring-oscar-winner-mark-rylance-20160621/

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

The ending reminds of the more comic-oriented material from Tintin, particularly Tintin Gets the Keys

I'm not watching the clip to keep the first viewing as 'fresh' as possible, but what you describe is exactly what I've predicted the majority of the score to sound like (the "whimsical" aspect of it).

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It sounds fine.  The scene itself is pretty fun.  Great camera-work.  

The performance capture and animation work is astounding. And Spielberg seems to have gone again the Tintin route, with impossibly long camera takes. Luuv it.

I don't know why people say this looks fake just because it's CGI. Actor in rubber masks or buried under tons of prosthetics are just as fake.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

More Williams comedy scoring in this new clip.  

Wow, the music sounds great! And I love Rylance here! 

The War Horse-esque opening chords are wonderful. The comedic stuff isn't too noteworthy, although it's good as always from Williams. There is at least one more great warm chord in between the comedic stuff -- more War Horse vibes, which is great because War Horse's score was a masterpiece. 

Walking back a bit on what I said before, now I want to see this in the theater and listen to the score in the movie first.  Didn't want to see it but the idea is growing on me.

It's all down to personal preference, but for me I always like to hear a Williams score in the film before listening to the soundtrack on its own if possible. This is definitely not how I approach all film composers.

Spielberg talks about John Williams here 

“John does that all on his own—I just hand my movie over to him. I’ve done that since the first movie we made together; I think he’s scored 28 of my 30 films. What John does [is], I give him my story, [and] he rewrites my story in music. He writes a musical version of the story I’ve just told. But he does sit with me and we look at the movie. Every single scene, we watch together, before he writes a single note. We watch the movie and we decide where there should be music and where there shouldn’t be. He’s a real strong believer [in that]. [For example,] he didn’t want to write any music for the Omaha Beach landings [in ‘Saving Private Ryan’]. He wanted that just to be the reality of what it was like. Those guys didn’t hear an orchestra in their heads when they landed on Omaha Beach. So John said, ‘There’ll be no music until we see the women writing the letters home.’ And that was really the first music after that sequence. So where there isn’t music is as important as where there is music.”

The conversation at the table returned to the subject of “The BFG,” and what Spielberg ultimately attained from his experience making the film. “This was an excursion into the imagination and into magic. I [hadn’t] done anything in my entire career, except a couple of little scenes from time to time, that involved real magic. For me this was an original adventure, and I had the best time. I worked three years on it, and the worst moment I had was when I finished the movie, when it was all done. I had finished the color correction, the soundtrack had been mixed, Johnny Williams had finished his brilliant score, and I was faced with the fact that I wasn’t going to return to the film again. It was at that moment that I realized how deeply in love with this project I had fallen. I didn’t even know that until the last day on the film.”

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

New clip.  More comedic Williams writing.  

Sounds great! Getting major Tintin vibes.

Sweet! 

Love seeing JW on the podium, and this music sounds great! A lot more of the dream-like beauty and magic style from "Dream Country," it's not necessarily from that cue though.

it's that very last clip at around 7.20 that gave me goosebumps.Sounds like a genuine great Williams moment and caught my attention more than anything in the samples

*prays it's not an unreleased cue*

1 hour ago, king mark said:

Williams looks in top shape compared to last year

also, I don't know if it's been mentioned but what's the total time of the c.d.?

A few seconds shy of 65 minutes.

1 minute ago, king mark said:

that's pretty short

Many of Maestro's scores tend to have an hour long album programme. 65 minutes is just fine to me.

Plus there will be the inevitable FYC album which might contain more music so fear not KM. ;)

I'm always concerned about unreleased music prior to the OST release.it comes from 30+years of being disappointed  many highlights are left off the OST

about equal parts

After I've memorised the soundtrack, my first viewing of the film is spent listening for unreleased cues