THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

13 hours ago, king mark said:

it's that very last clip at around 7.20 that gave me goosebumps.Sounds like a genuine great Williams moment and caught my attention more than anything in the samples

*prays it's not an unreleased cue*

When the main theme starts at 7:28, it was a very calming and peaceful moment.  Beautiful.

9 hours ago, king mark said:

We are not assured of that...

so about 1 hour of unreleased Williams music in full fantasy mode

The LLL release in 15-20 years should put you in good spirits.

Williams is looking and sounding great these days compared to a couple years ago, when I was pretty concerned. Age regression?

I wish he'd do more than just the occasional boring mediocre Spielberg film or Star Wars. He's all we've got left.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

No, he should exclusively score fantasy films and Star Wars

I believe the biggest waste of Williams scores are historical dramas.Most of them are dust collectors

Adventure would be acceptable too! :P

I do agree, though. Typically, fantasy and adventure films have provided the most entertaining Williams scores for me. Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indy, E.T., Amazing Stories: The Mission, Hook, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and Always, of course. That material inspired far more eclectic and entertaining Williams scores than the boring dramas.

Well some of them. Surprisingly The Book Thief is the film  that moved me the most in the past few years.

I had listened to Visitor on Himmel Street/Rudy is Taken and Finale on c.d. and thought the music was pretty sad and was wondering what scenes it would score. When I saw the film the music worked so well it was one of my saddest Willliams moment

If JW didn't do historical dramas we'd have never gotten the brilliant trilogy of scores JFK, Born on the 4th, and Nixon. That's to say nothing of Lincoln, Munich, Schindler's List, and more. 

When you say these unlistened to albums are dust collectors, are they collecting dust inside the jewel cases or out? Because inside the jewel cases is better. And I think you may have an air circulation problem in your home.

6 hours ago, king mark said:

Well some of them. Surprisingly The Book Thief is the film  that moved me the most in the past few years.

I had listened to Visitor on Himmel Street/Rudy is Taken and Finale on c.d. and thought the music was pretty sad and was wondering what scenes it would score. When I saw the film the music worked so well it was one of my saddest Willliams moment

Yes!!

Finally some common sense here.

The film will open soft this holiday weekend. That's a polite way to say this film will bomb. I will get the score but skip the movie.

I don't believe iTunes does preorders until they've received the actual digital files they'll send on release day, and I don't think Disney has sent out the digital album to anyone yet.

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The film will open soft this holiday weekend. That's a polite way to say this film will bomb. I will get the score but skip the movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if this film ended up being Spielberg's biggest box-office failure.  

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this film ended up being Spielberg's biggest box-office failure.  

not doubting you but what makes you guys think it will fail so miserably 

31 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

not doubting you but what makes you guys think it will fail so miserably 

Based on the reviews, the sense I get is that adults who have become accustomed to Pixar generic plotting and innuendo will not enjoy BFG.  Thus, fewer parents will take their kids to see it. 

I find it irritating when reviewers claim kids will not like the throwback storytelling.  7 year olds are not enslaved to fleeting cultural trends in the same way adults are.  If parents take their kids to see it, my guess is the kids will enjoy it. 

Okay, maybe the innuendo is less Pixar, but I find Pixar movies, aside from maybe up, to be generally the same.  Anyone seen either of the Cars movies, Finding Nemo (I have not seen Dory, but my hunch is it is the same as Nemo) or Brave?  Even Wall-E, which starts out as original quickly falls back on general kid movie tropes.  Perhaps that is an unfair criticism of Pixar and more of any kids movie of the last 15 years, but that gets to my point.  If BFG does not follow the general kid's movie plotting, shouldn't that be hailed as good versus Spielberg being out of touch with modern audiences (which several of the reviewers assert)?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Based on the reviews, the sense I get is that adults who have become accustomed to Pixar generic plotting and innuendo will not enjoy BFG.  Thus, fewer parents will take their kids to see it. 

And also because it looks bad.  

that is what I think too. The effects look weak. Looks like Spielberg is trying too hard

John looks more energetic than he did 3 years ago in those Book Thief interviews, where he seemed tired and exhausted.

I think his operation has really given him a boost in energy! It's wonderful to see.

A lovely little interview with the Maestro! Thanks for sharing Ricard! :)

Regarding the familial feel of the whole music production where Spielberg is present and enjoys it very much and knows the players, it really feels like after all these years the movies are just an excuse to have those recording sessions and make music and for Spielberg to enjoy it. :D

So it will be on iTunes on Friday? Is that commonly done or will they wait till Tuesday?

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How do the effects look weak?

They look horrible.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

What do you reckon he's pointing at around 6.58? Unhappy with a performance?

He's asking a musician to bring their part out more.

49 minutes ago, ocelot said:

So it will be on iTunes on Friday?

Yes.

49 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Is that commonly done or will they wait till Tuesday?

Don't understand the question.  The release date of the score is this Friday, July 1, and that's when it will be up for sale.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes.

Don't understand the question.  The release date of the score is this Friday, July 1, and that's when it will be up for sale.

iTunes usually does most of their releases on Tuesdays. That's when I get all my things that I preorder be it movies, tv series or music.

On 6/25/2016 at 9:26 PM, king mark said:

"Visitor on Himmel Street" is a great cue, and overall the Book Thief is a very good score. But I found the film overall (like the book) to be quite cold and emotionless. It felt like it should have made me cry, but it didn't. Not even nearly.

On 6/25/2016 at 9:26 PM, king mark said:

TFA had some really emotional film-and-music moments as well. Not always sad, sometimes joyful, but emotional. Han and Chewie enter the Falcon, Han enters the cockpit, Rey and Finn are picked up from Starkiller Base by Chewbacca, and they and the X-wings fly home, R2 wakes up, Rey and co. depart for Ahch-To, etc.

On 6/27/2016 at 5:15 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

And also because it looks bad.  

Looks fine to me.