THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

I saw the film, need to see it again on Blu Ray but I don't remember any "I strike now" xD

Strange if it's the same guy, must be a troll.

The total length is not even 387 seconds long soooo :D

4 minutes ago, ChewyBomber said:

I saw the film, need to see it again on Blu Ray but I don't remember any "I strike now" xD

Strange if it's the same guy, must be a troll. 

He's added some clearly legitimate info lately, though, as well, on Star Wars. Hmmm...

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Without a citation I wouldn't even consider believing that info

Well, the actual track list has no source either. ;)

Still kind of doubt it's real, but it's worth asking the guy. 

Well, I never got a response back from the guy so we still have no idea what the deal is. 

I will say that it's plausible to imagine that dialogue tracks could have been discussed by the production -- after all, people here have said the film seemed like a musical. Perhaps including dialogue tracks on album would have helped hammer home that point.

Saw the film yesterday. Loved it and such an immersive experience. I found the score stood out, especially the main theme. Each time it appeared, it gave me chills. 

I've always regretted not seeing this in theaters a second time.

The first time, I hadn't listened to the OST other than samples, and, as you can imagine given how much of a grower this one was, it didn't make a very good impression on me.

Sure, there were some really, really cool things about this method, but I at least wish I'd seen the film again with the OST firmly ingrained. It's wonderful when you can spend a few days appreciating the music and then be amazed at the context. Also, this allows you to spot unreleased music much easier.

Of course, now I can watch on home video, but it's not quite the same.

It's possible, I suppose, that a score such as Fantastic Beasts would have made more of an impression if I'd first experienced it in the film then the BFG did. 

Yay! THE BFG finally arrived in my mailbox. It only took me, like, half a year. Looking forward to delving into it and see if my lukewarm first impressions were unwarranted.

Yes that is one of the zestiest pieces on the album!

I have admit that my appreciation of the score has improved in this little under half a year since I first heard it. There are genuinely lovely emotional moments in there, especially toward the end of the album. It might be sentimental writing but there is that charming storybook atmosphere to the finale of the score, a musical "And they lived happily ever after" that I find irresistable. Williams does it perhaps better than any other film composer, that warm fuzzy feeling of a happy ending and closure.

There is something delightfully anachronistic in this film, imho. It's not one of Spielberg's best by a long shot, but it's probably one of his most straightforward in recent times. It's really a 1940s Disney animated film remade with modern technology. Williams' music follows this aesthetic perfectly. It's a child's film and the music fits accordingly. It's surely not something for the ages like E.T., but I think it's a deep breath of fresh air in the current landscape of kiddie fare made essentially of relentless gags and punchlines.

I really hope it finds an audience on home video/streaming.  I could see it being one of those childrens' cult classics that was a box office failure in theaters, kinda like The Witches, another Dahl adaptation, was for my generation.

I've listened to the album twice now after I got the CD, and my initial Spotify impressions still stand -- this is whimsical x 10 (typical of most Williams in the 2010s really), and not very engaging as a coherent listening experience. But I'll be giving it more chances in the time to come.

On 12/12/2016 at 3:36 PM, Thor said:

I've listened to the album twice now after I got the CD, and my initial Spotify impressions still stand -- this is whimsical x 10 (typical of most Williams in the 2010s really), and not very engaging as a coherent listening experience. But I'll be giving it more chances in the time to come.

That's what I thought first, but as you said, after some listenings, the score becomes great (same happened to me with TFA). Now I like BFG score more than Tintin and maybe TFA...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at 2016's scores for my top 10 list, and I think BFG may be my favourite score, which is a little surprising. It's between that and Fantastic Beasts, but I think BFG's album is an all round better listening experience.

There have been no 5 star scores in 2016 for me but some strong 4 stars. The BFG may be firmly within JW's comfort zone but it is still great music. Can't think of any other score in 2016 that is both as technically and emotionally proficient as this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read an unconfirmed report The BFG had different studio logos at the start depending on what region it was distributed in (which makes sense, as different distributors often handle the film in different markets).

Thus the Williams scored overture no longer lined up with international releases of the film, and they decided to abandon the idea for the sake of consistency. Just a hunch.

That's doesn't fit in this case because Disney was the distributor in all regions, and all the logos after Disney's are production companies not distributors. 

Interesting. I thought Disney was the primary production company but they appear to only be distributors in certain markets, according to iMDB:

Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures (2016) (USA) (Argentina) (Australia) (Singapore) (theatrical)
Cinecolor Films (2016) (Chile) (theatrical)
Columbia Pictures (2016) (Philippines) (theatrical)
Constantin Film (2016) (Germany) (theatrical)
Entertainment One Benelux (2016) (Belgium) (Netherlands)
Entertainment One (2016) (Australia) (Canada) (UK) (theatrical)
Metropolitan Filmexport (2016) (France) (theatrical)
NOS Audiovisuais (2016) (Portugal) (theatrical)
Odeon (2016) (Greece) (theatrical)
Reliance Entertainment (2016) (India) (theatrical)
Walt Disney Studios Japan (2016) (Japan) (theatrical)
Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing (WDSSPR) (2016) (Russia) (theatrical)
eOne Films (2016) (Spain) (theatrical)
Pinema (2016) (Turkey) (all media)
Blitz Film & Video Distribution (2016) (Slovenia) (theatrical)
Ascot Elite Entertainment Group (2016) (Switzerland) (all media)
Nordisk Film (2016) (Finland) (all media)

I didn't see the film theatrically so I've got no idea what logos were used in Australia, but all the home video releases are labelled with Disney logos.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

That's doesn't fit in this case because Disney was the distributor in all regions, and all the logos after Disney's are production companies not distributors. 

Well, that's the thing - even Disney in this case was actually a production company! (and they did distribute in at least a few countries too) 

So why wouldn't they be credited? ....

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

Nope. I remember being surprised to not see Disney logo but Metropolitan's one instead when I saw the movie in France.

It's the same for the Blu Ray, no Disney: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01L7Q7LQG/

.... but this is very interesting, Chewy. Seems to back up @crumbs' theory. Great works Crumbs figuring that out! 

Might be as simple as someone from Reliance or Walden Media not wanting original music over their company logos.

I can't imagine Amblin (Spielberg's company) or Disney would have minded.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this Chinese Williams site and translated a BFG article to English. Hilarity ensued. :lol:

http://www.johnwilliams.top/cannes-1189/

CANNES PREMIERE "ROUND DREAM GIANT" MUSIC SELECTION AUDITION

May 14, 2016 Cannes Film Festival, Stevens Spielberg directed the film THE BFG ( Dream Giant ) premiere after the end of the red carpet ritual scene video, 11 minutes 07 seconds to start the background music for John William An excuse for the soundtrack.

What do you think, is there any chance one of his announced future scores will be a little bit edgier than his other post-indy-4-stuff? I mean more like WotW, MR or TLW?

• 2 years later...

"Frolic" is not talked about nearly enough. What a great little piece; if half of the track wasn't build-up to the main tune, I'd say it's encore-worthy, for concerts.

EDIT: I especially love the little timpani "boing" at 1:30.

5 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

This thread resurrection together with the recent Tintin appreciation thread shows that the Williams scores from the 2010s have often been talked down too much after release.  The music is not always as immediately accessible as some earlier soundtracks, but they reveal a complexity that rewards repeated listening.

Indeed!! 

I was just about the write exactly same story. 

7 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Which theme exactly is Sophie's Theme? Is that the main theme or...?

What I call  Sophie's Theme is first heard in the Witching Hour at 2:08 on clarinet:

As another example you can hear it clearly at the end of the Finale: