THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

5 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Which videos are people watching to hear the score snippets? The latest trailer? 

Check the main page from time to time ;)

I'm assuming the "score snippets" are indeed fragments taken from several different pieces? The separate ideas are all brilliant IMHO although none of the ideas last quite long enough so I'm definitely hoping they're different tracks.

The main-sounding theme and the dangerous-sounding waltz (the first two snippets) sound better than I was hoping (i.e. not too close to the "too many notes" workmanlike end of the scale, like Tintin is IMHO). There's definitely an effortlessness and majesty to what I've heard so far.

The fact some of the reviewers have said the music is heavy-handed doesn't especially concern me. I expect soaring "old-fashioned" orchestral film music to be criticised these days, and I more or less couldn't care less how the music sounds in the film as long as it sounds amazing by itself.

If Raiders were released today, the Raiders March would be criticised as a "simplistic melody," The Map Room would be labelled "distracting," and Marion's Theme would be "saccharine and manipulative."

I'd hate to think what critics thought of E.T. back in the day, but these things never change. Critics hate the John Williams school of film music; they love their film scores to be nothing more than atmospheric wallpaper.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Roald Dahl didn't collaborate with anyone involved in this film though.

He's dead Jim.

Sith Lord & Jedi Master to you Steef as it was infact ME who gave my gold sharpie to John Williams to sign your Phantom Menace LP then signed for me back in Boston 2013!

:):P:)

Joining this thread... at page 12... and feeling very lazy.

Is this a co-conducted score?

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Joining this thread... at page 12... and feeling very lazy.

Is this a co-conducted score?

Nope, unlike TFA (on which he asked William Ross to handle the baton for heavier sessions), Williams conducted the entirety of The BFG on the scoring stage. 

He couldn't conduct last year immediately following his pacemaker surgery due to doctor's orders, but it appears he's recovered well 12 months on. :)

YES I can with evidence that I still got it and the album cover JW signed for me as WE were

standing with other JWFANers outside waiting for JW!

Why don't you guys take this discussion over to the thread for the concert in question so we can keep talking about the new John Williams score here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22593-john-williams-at-symphony-hall-june-7-12-2013-boston-ma/&page=15

Thanks!

7 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I can only imagine what some of these critics would think of E.T. if it were released today.  They'd probably hate it.

And rightfully so.

I am afraid TWR is truly and irreverently unimpressed by E.T.

As for BFG I'll reserve my judgement until I have heard the music either in the film or on CD.

I agree with him that, bicycle chase notwithstanding, the last minute or so treads a very delicate line in between glorious and horrendous (the score got positive AND negative mentions by those critic monsters from hell even back in the 80's, believe it or not).

But again i must ask all the usual pompous JW folk patting themselves on the back for recognizing the true and best way to score a children's movie and how the BFG is an instant classic just for the fact that is was written by JW: did you even bother to READ some of the reviews? It's not that they're out for blood or something -  but of course, instead of reading time is better spent on getting the forks and torches out.

Indeed.

Naturally I'm casting out bait with my E.T. comment.  It is known that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as most here do, but I wouldn't feel compelled to earnestly disparage it.

But pub makes the point.  It's too temptingly amusing to chime in with the opposite extreme when folks come out with their "I know good film music, and no one else does, and look at the ignorant anti-symphonic peasants!" hats on.

So none of us have seen the film or heard the score either in context or on CD.

What the heck are we all baying about at this stage?

The very last minute of E.T., as the movie comes to an end, I probably consider to be the greatest and most quintessential moment in music in the long Williams and Spielberg collaboration. 

I haven't really listened to any of the new music yet. The quality of its sound in those videos is terrible; and yet people have apparently already formed comprehensive views and final judgements on it here. Fucking lunatics. 

Listening to the first part of the theme or what I can hear from the clip, it reminds me of some Tchaikovsky Ballets in the chord changes. Very cute.

2 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

I haven't really listened to any of the new music yet. The quality of its sound in those videos is terrible; and yet people have apparently already formed comprehensive views and final judgements on it here. Fucking lunatics. 

I'm happy to ignore any trailers, soundclips etc since I will watch the film and buy the score and wanna go in with an open mind.

Worked very well for TFA.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm happy to ignore any trailers, soundclips etc since I will watch the film and buy the score and wanna go in with an open mind.

Worked very well for TFA.

Thanks to the hermetically tight secrecy surrounding TFA and the fact that the score was released on the day the movie came out made this the first JW score in a long time I heard only after first seeing the film in the cinema. Which was rather refreshing in this day and age.

Since I've already decided that I'll be seeing this film when it comes out, I'm not going to base my expectations on any reviews which have come out before then. I'm just going to enter the cinema and have a fun time.

7 minutes ago, loert said:

Since I've already decided that I'll be seeing this film when it comes out, I'm not going to base my expectations on any reviews which have come out before then. I'm just going to enter the cinema and have a fun time.

This!

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Oh yeah!!

Two weeks to to go. Can't wait.

Trying to decide whether to listen to the CD first, or hearing the score in the movie first. Always that tough dilemma. ?