THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

I just can't seem to set this movie as a firm blip on my radar. I don't care about the source at all, I'm not interested in another Spielberg lite movie. The score I'm just expecting to be a retread of Harry Potter and the serviceable Williams whimsy which goes with that. 

As always with these things though that doesn't mean I don't want to be proven wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I just can't seem to set this movie as a firm blip on my radar. I don't care about the source at all, I'm not interested in another Spielberg lite movie. The score I'm just expecting to be a retread of Harry Potter and the serviceable Williams whimsy which goes with that. 

As always with these things though that doesn't mean I don't want to be proven wrong. 

Same here.  I'm moderately excited for the film/score as always with Williams but I'm not nearly as excited as I feel like I should be.  Perhaps I would feel stronger about it if it were coming directly off the heels of the recent Williams' scores for boring drama films, Lincoln and The Book Thief rather than The Force Awakens.

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, that sounds so cute! I can picture it: little Stiffy in his bed, with his father sitting next to him, reading the book. The kid dreaming of fantasy lands, a friendly giant, his one true imaginary friend... That's beautiful.

I was read it in school, iirc.

Since I don't know a single Roald Dahl film adaptation I like, I don't have much interest in the movie itself, but am waiting for the score with great anticipation.

27 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Since I don't know a single Roald Dahl film adaptation I like, I don't have much interest in the movie itself, but am waiting for the score with great anticipation.

You don't like Willy Wonka?

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

But why?

Never understood the appeal of Dahl's stories and they do not translate into engaging films to my mind.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

It will be a movie pitched to kids, so I see your point.  However, Mathison's screenplays tend to have a bit more depth and character development relative to Harry Potter or Hook stuff.  This makes me hopeful that it will be, minimally, better than average. 

As for the score, I predict that it will be more lyrical and restrained than either Harry Potter or Hook.  I don't think it will be a masterpiece, but there is great potential for a gem of a score. 

I really liked the movie adaptation of The Witches from Nicolas Roeg when I was a kid but I haven't seen it in 20 years probably.  I am deeply in love with Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox though, seen it 15 times probably.  It's my favorite type of literary adaptation, when an author with a strong style meets a filmmaker with a strong style and they mesh perfectly.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I really liked the movie adaptation of The Witches from Nicolas Roeg when I was a kid but I haven't seen it in 20 years probably.

Same here.  That movie was on TV all the time in the early 90s but haven't seen it since.

The movie will be shown at Cannes Film Festival in May already apparently (the festival runs between 11 – 22 May 2016), so it will be shown about a month before the movie will have its real wide release.

Do you think we will get some reports on the score then? Just 2 months to go before that first premiere.

It has the potential to be a very good score. Even if it's largely forgettable, it'llprobably still be one of the best scores of 2016 and will likely earn an Oscar nomination 

"

3 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

It has the potential to be a very good score. Even if it's largely forgettable, it'llprobably still be one of the best scores of 2016 and will likely earn an Oscar nomination 

What makes you think it'll be largely forgettable? None of the last five scores have given such an impression.

On 10/03/2016 at 2:29 PM, Incanus said:

Never understood the appeal of Dahl's stories and they do not translate into engaging films to my mind.

Seen Matilda? 

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Seen Matilda? 

That one I have not seen, no. Might it convince to retract my harsh opinion of these adaptations?

It's certainly a very good children's film (directed and narrated quite assuredly by Danny DeVito) and yeah, I'd say it has a good chance of being appreciated by your objective self. I've had to put up with it being on numerous times recently and I always find myself stopping what I'm doing to watch the best parts, which inevitability means most of the film. 

No problem with Dahl but more with the oblige CGI aesthetic of the trailer. Spielberg isn't an ideal match for Dahl's sardonic tone and the whole projects feel a bit 'off' with these polished visuals and a story about a giant making fart somersaults. We shall see - and at this point we probably can stomach another Potter clone though i really hope Williams gets pummeled more in Potter III directions this time.